Fridge regas Manchester

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Don't know what happened? Typed the query, clicked Post, seemed to take a long time, then a post with nothing :(

Further to my recent fridge query where it seems it has lost gas, I was looking for somewhere in Manchester where it could be regassed and a leak fixed. I like the idea of little back Street workshops, but anywhere would do. I'm in Stretford M32, but distance up to say 40 miles is fine.

Many thanks

Richard

Don't know what happened? Typed the query, clicked Post, seemed to take a long time, then a post with nothing sad.png

Further to my recent fridge query where it seems it has lost gas, I was looking for somewhere in Manchester where it could be regassed and a leak fixed. I like the idea of little back Street workshops, but anywhere would do. I'm in Stretford M32, but distance up to say 40 miles is fine.

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

I have used a company from near Stockport, fridge engineer and does work with 12 volt units (not all do)

CITY SERVICE 0161 476 0161.

Good service and reasonable prices.

Roger

Is it a compressor fridge or an absorption one. Mains or 12 volt, if its mains it may not be economical

Sorry, I think I provided more info in my missing post..

12v, compressor, not sure what kind of gas.

I'll call Rogers suggestion on Monday when home from a weekend break to Cornwall.

Sorry, I think I provided more info in my missing post..

12v, compressor, not sure what kind of gas.

I'll call Rogers suggestion on Monday when home from a weekend break to Cornwall.

In that case its probably worth doing if its not the compressor leaking, the gas must be getting out somewhere.

In that case its probably worth doing if its not the compressor leaking, the gas must be getting out somewhere.

Depends on the age of the fridge, mine lost gas but it was using an old refigarent which is now banned so couldn't be regassed.

There should be a sticker on the back of the fridge detailing the refridherant

Edited by Loddon

None of those problems are insurmountable. When my A/C failed on the car they used fluorescent fluid to find the leak.

It's just a matter of finding the right man in the right back street shed.

I buckled an alloy wheel two weeks ago. £700 for a new one from an Audi dealer or £45.00 to have it straightened. No, the guy didn't hit it with a hammer. He had an interesting array of jigs and hydraulic rams and knew how to use them properly.

Funnily enough, he was in Stockport too.

Hi Richard

I have used a company from near Stockport, fridge engineer and does work with 12 volt units (not all do)

CITY SERVICE 0161 476 0161.

Good service and reasonable prices.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I'll be calling City Service tomorrow, assuming I get a chance from work.

They have a website http://citycoolingmanchester.co.uk/which shows a contact address:

18, Tynedale Close, Stockport SK5 7NA

which is a modern housing estate in Stockport.... did you take your fridge to them? If so, where? or did they come to you?

City Cooling came to the boat today and diagnosed a faulty compressor. No sign of refrigerant loss, and thermostat fine - he could hear the condenser not pumping the refrigerant around the tubes... seems that the valve can fail. £45 for the visit, which didnt seem bad.

He is now looking for a replacement compressor, as a quick search suggests that the existing compressor is obselete. Apparently it is an SSM 2512s - M, and he thinks he may be able to find an equivalent, perhaps on a Japanese equivalent to ebay.

He suggested that the cost of supplying and fitting a replacement compressor will be about £250... which is about half the cost of a new fridge. A big decision even if a replacement can be found.

Any input welcomed.

City Cooling came to the boat today and diagnosed a faulty compressor. No sign of refrigerant loss, and thermostat fine - he could hear the condenser not pumping the refrigerant around the tubes... seems that the valve can fail. £45 for the visit, which didnt seem bad.

He is now looking for a replacement compressor, as a quick search suggests that the existing compressor is obselete. Apparently it is an SSM 2512s - M, and he thinks he may be able to find an equivalent, perhaps on a Japanese equivalent to ebay.

He suggested that the cost of supplying and fitting a replacement compressor will be about £250... which is about half the cost of a new fridge. A big decision even if a replacement can be found.

Any input welcomed.

Not much to go wrong with fridges, most expensive bit is the compressor. If the rest of the fridge is on good condition, I would go for the replacement compressor.

Not much to go wrong with fridges, most expensive bit is the compressor. If the rest of the fridge is on good condition, I would go for the replacement compressor.

That's what the engineer said - nice to hear it from someone with nothing to sell me :)

I wonder if you could fit a remote compressor - although they seem to be around £350 to buy, then there will be the cost of fitting and gassing?

I wonder if you could fit a remote compressor - although they seem to be around £350 to buy, then there will be the cost of fitting and gassing?

I dont know. Best ask the engineer. However with a remote compressor the fridge will effectively be plumbed in to the boat, and thus harder to move for cleaning and/or maintenance.