Marooned in Gloucester

Featured Posts

Fanx Lorry, I must say I was a bit concerned no0one would get it when I posted it. Looks like I was right, with the exception of you!!

:D

No, we all got it. But there is no "groan" emoticon! :D Edited by nicknorman

I saw Telemachus yesterday, I thought her name sounded familiar. I was collecting dd and we wandered over to look at the lock into the basin. We were very impressed at its size (the lock's size, compared to the canal ones we know)!

Hoping this rain doesn't raise levels on the Avon too much. Home is stuck in Warwickshire and work/school are down here! Hoping to fetch her to Evesham or Tewkesbury next weekend (Ian The Boater has offered to help me on the Avon, very kindly). But presumably I won't get any further than Tewkesbury...

If you do return via the Avon as I did, watch out for the second (old) bridge at Pershore. Just one arch you can pass through and the current was making whirlpools between the two bridges even in benign conditions.

Don't make the mistake as I did of using the otherwise convenient mooring just before first bridge as it gives you no time to get up speed to push through the two when you leave.

Does this apply coming downriver as well?

Edited by Witchword

If you are going up on the Flood, look out for stuff in the water, like large branches.

It wasn't bad coming down on the ebb last week so I think that since we are ahead of the flood tide it should be ok.

We've just passed the Partings with still an hour to go to high tide. I wanted to leave 30 mins later but just followed the locals - ie going with the social flow if not the physical one! Still, we're making 2.5 mph at 1800 rpm so it could be worse!

I saw Telemachus yesterday, I thought her name sounded familiar.

You should have said "hello" except that we went on a land day out to Bristol and Bath. But I must mention that Telemachus is a boy boat not a girl boat!

Although this Avon is very different (read much prettier) than the Severn, it will probably offer more challenges under present conditions. As well as the current being funneled by old bridge arches you have strong cross flows to contend with where the lock weir bypass rejoins the main river, often close to where you need to be slowing down to moor. With the Severn its a simpler slog against the current.

Hoping this rain doesn't raise levels on the Avon too much. Home is stuck in Warwickshire and work/school are down here! Hoping to fetch her to Evesham or Tewkesbury next weekend (Ian The Boater has offered to help me on the Avon, very kindly). But presumably I won't get any further than Tewkesbury...

Does this apply coming downriver as well?

Well the weir bypass's might effect you a little as you leave from the mooring with the lock behind you, but less so as the cross stream will create the downstream current to favour you.

It wasn't bad coming down on the ebb last week so I think that since we are ahead of the flood tide it should be ok.

We've just passed the Partings with still an hour to go to high tide. I wanted to leave 30 mins later but just followed the locals - ie going with the social flow if not the physical one! Still, we're making 2.5 mph at 1800 rpm so it could be worse!

You should have said "hello" except that we went on a land day out to Bristol and Bath. But I must mention that Telemachus is a boy boat not a girl boat!

whoops, sorry! Hope your journey goes smoothly.

Did you make it to Tewkesbury and decide on the Avon...?

We caught the tide about 1/2 way to Upper Lode, speed picked up to 5.5mph. 3.5 hrs Gloucester to Upper Lode in the end. Upper lode lock was ready for us (thanks to VHF) but whilst we were still grappling to get hold of the lock-side steel cables the "top gates" opened. No paddles required as the lock was on the level. The Lockie came out to say that, really they could have left both sets of gates open but it "wasn't allowed".

Still doing 4.5 mph at Tewkesbury so decided to carry on to Worcester. Pissing with rain of course! Anyway we were still doing 4.5 mph for a good while (I put the revs up to 2000) and it was looking good for Diglis by 18:00 but then I think we finally fell off the tide and were back to 3.5mph so we were going to miss Diglis by about 15 mins. We therefore stopped at Upton. Hopefully we'll get through Diglis tomorrow but there has been a lot of rain. However so far, according to the EA website, the levels on the Severn up in Wales don't seem to have risen much.

There is a fair old current here, and we had a loud clonk earlier as we were hit by a large log - bit of tree really - that got stuck on the bow. Anyway it's stopped raining now so early start tomorrow to hopefully beat the Welsh deluge to Diglis. We're definitely going to wimp out onto the W&B though, I think we've had enough of marginal rivers for one trip!

• Greenie 1

Phew, made it onto the W&B. I like canals! Not without some hassle at Diglis lock though. This is email I've just sent to Nick Worthington, manager of the Severn/Welsh region. Yes it's long and ranty but it made me feel so much better!

"Dear Nick

Our boat is based in the midlands and we rarely venture towards the southwest. This last week was therefore our first visit to Gloucester / Sharpness canal. Overall of course our impressions were positive, not just of Gloucester docks etc but also of CRT's staff ie bridge and lock keepers. However there were two issues which somewhat spoilt our trip that I would like to bring to your attention.

1/ On the way back we were stuck in Gloucester for 2 days since Upper Lode lock unexpectedly closed for the weekend due to water levels. However this was a time of very high Spring tides. The high level at Upper Lode was predominantly a result of the tide, rather than the degree of fresh water coming down the river. We visited Upper Lode by road on Sunday to see for ourselves and chat with the lock-keeper. The waters around the lock had some flow but it all looked fairly benign. The lock keeper told us that we should be OK for Monday but that he might have to close the lock at high tide due to the levels. I didn't argue with him at the time but it suggests that he has some dumb rule book that says when the level goes over x he has to close the lock. So in other words at high tide when the flow is near zero he has to close the lock. He can open the lock once the ebb tide makes the flow build up to near maximum. I hope you will agree with me that this is crazy logic!

We did get through on the Monday though it was a slower trip than it would have been over the weekend, due to the lower high tide. By now of course it was raining and we decided to abandon our planned trip up to Stourport and come of the river at Worcester. For a while we were making 4.5mph above Tewkesbury with an ETA at Diglis before closing time, but eventually we fell off the tide and we're going to arrive too late so we stopped on the pontoon at Upton. We had a slightly uncomfortable night with several trees and a barrel colliding noisily with the boat. I realised that the water levels were likely to rise so a 7:30 start for Diglis was made. We were making about 3.5 to 4 mph against the current so it wasn't too bad.

On approaching Diglis I radioed the lock keeper to request transit. I told him we intended to leave the rising river and go onto the canal at Diglis. He seemed a bit cagey and said he would "do his best to lock us through". On arrival the gates were mercifully open since there is no-where to moor below the locks. After 3.5 hours at high revs I was looking forward to getting off the river.

2/ Once in the lock there was then a gaggle of people and one person who turned out to be a manager, was loudly berating the lock keeper for letting us through since the lock was supposed to be closed. His manner was hostile and not only was he haranguing the poor lock keeper, but doing so in our earshot was quite rude to his "customers". He made no attempt to speak to us. As far as I could tell he felt the lock keeper shouldn't have let us into the lock, instead presumably wanting to leave us to our fate below the lock without mooring opportunities.

This really, really annoyed me. It seemed as though he wasn't in the slightest bit interested in our safety but only interested in what I refer to as "arse covering" and bureaucracy. I find this attitude, and his general behaviour, quite unacceptable. In the end the lock keeper, who throughout was pleasant, pragmatic and helpful, resisted the tirade from this guy and locked us through. He advised us to tie up on the pontoon which we did. I then went to look at the river and the entrance to the canal on foot. The river was unsurprisingly much the same as it had been on our trip up from Upton, and the entrance to the lock was fairly benign. I really didn't want to get the lock-keeper into trouble as he had been exemplary but nevertheless I decided we would make the short transit to the safety of the canal against his "official" advice as the levels were due to rise further. We only had 2 weeks for our holiday and having lost 2 days seemingly unnecessarily due to Upper Lode being closed, we really couldn't afford to lose any more days.

The transit from the pontoons into the lock was a complete non-event and we are now happily on the canal.

So for 1/ could I strongly suggest that CRT reviews its policies for Upper Lode. It needs to distinguish between high levels due to an excess of fresh water coming down, vs high levels due to spring tides which in fact is the best time to make the trip up from Gloucester.

For 2/ firstly I felt the behaviour of the manager, whom I have since identified as Mr Abrahams, was unacceptable both to the lock keeper and, by ignoring our presence, to us. As I understand it he is a maintenance manager and so should not be interfering in matters relating to navigation. There was talk of forcibly detaining us in the lock, something I am pretty sure CRT is not statutorily allowed to do unless we were intoxicated. Once on the river it is the boat's crew who make decisions about navigation safety - they know their and their boat's capabilities. A maintenance manager doesn't have a clue, and as I said his agenda seemed not to be about our safety but merely that corporate disease, a worry about liability. CRT staff at the "sharp end" should and do in general give good advice and I will always listen to it, but ultimately I am responsible for my actions, not CRT. As I said the transit to the canal was benign and effortless. I therefore question whether the criteria for closing the Severn's locks are not too sensitive. I am well aware that occasionally boats get caught on weirs etc and of course that is the current situation at Diglis. But please, don't dumb down the waterways so that they are closed at the slightest hint of difficulty on the basis that you have some nannying duty to protect a first time hire boater. I feel that CRT should concentrate on its remit and leave the navigating to boaters. But most importantly when a boater wants to get off the river due to rising levels, CRT should facilitate this (as the lock keeper did) and not obstruct it (as Mr Abrahams did). This gentleman need a debriefing on his attitude and conduct both towards CRT staff and their customers.

Kind regards

Nick Norman

Sent from my iPad"

Glad you made it safely Nick, despite the efforts of some!

Yes, glad you are back in safer waters!

haggis

Thanks. To be honest we were never in danger from nature, the difficulties were all caused by silly humans and their rules!

Good email Nick.

Too long and ranty to be effective, but cathartic none the less!

Hi Nick. Nice email.

I hope you are able to post the response as I have had some similar experiences myself, especially with Diglis Lock being closed, preventing you from getting off the river at Worcester.

Last time it happened to us, Severn Motor Yacht Club were kind enough to allow us a space on one of their pontoons until levels went down again. If anyone from SMYC is reading this - thanks once again!

I would say in defence of the lockie at Gloucester, that the problem here is not necessarily the rate of flow of water, but the amount of cr@p that can be swept up the river on the back of a big spring tide. Among other things, I've seen whole trees, forkift pallets, and even sections of pontoon, none of which you really want to meet coming the other way in the Parting.

On at least one occasion we've had to wait in the lock at Gloucester while they sent a workboat up to clear an obstruction in the channel at the Upper Parting.

They generally do seem to let the ebb get established before they open the lock again, I believe the thinking is that it allows the bulk of the debris to be flushed out of the river.

Hi Nick. Nice email.

I hope you are able to post the response as I have had some similar experiences myself, especially with Diglis Lock being closed, preventing you from getting off the river at Worcester.

Last time it happened to us, Severn Motor Yacht Club were kind enough to allow us a space on one of their pontoons until levels went down again. If anyone from SMYC is reading this - thanks once again!

I would say in defence of the lockie at Gloucester, that the problem here is not necessarily the rate of flow of water, but the amount of cr@p that can be swept up the river on the back of a big spring tide. Among other things, I've seen whole trees, forkift pallets, and even sections of pontoon, none of which you really want to meet coming the other way in the Parting.

On at least one occasion we've had to wait in the lock at Gloucester while they sent a workboat up to clear an obstruction in the channel at the Upper Parting.

They generally do seem to let the ebb get established before they open the lock again, I believe the thinking is that it allows the bulk of the debris to be flushed out of the river.

I'm sure that can be an issue but it certainly wasn't on our trip. For going down, you want to leave after the ebb starts anyway. For going up, you want to leave Gloucester during the tail of the ebb so as to get the flood after you pass the parting. Although the flood surge travels faster than the boat, the current obviously doesn't and so driftwood is not going to take you from behind!

Yes the east channel is narrow and I can imagine difficulty from debris stuck and blocking the channel, but once back on the main river it is surely wide enough to avoid even large debris provided you are paying attention.

But anyway, the issue for us was not the Lockie at Gloucester, it was upper Lode.

Edited by nicknorman

Anyway, whilst waiting for a reply from CRT I should mention that our 07:30 start had a benefit (bearing in mind that I normally don't function before 09:00 at the earliest) in that we saw an otter on the river, near the bank, dived down a bit but was swimming in the same direction as we were going so we saw it dive, swim and surface several times at quite close range. I think that's a first for us on the cut/river.

Reminds me of when I took my wildlife-mad mother to Shetland for birdwatching etc, and of course otter-watching. We spent an early morning and evening at alleged otter hotspots in the middle of nowhere. Nothing seen. Eventually we gave up and drove back to the hotel in Lerwick. In the suburbs of Lerwick, 30 limit, street lighting and houses.... Screeeech emergency braking as an otter ran out in front of us!

Anyway, whilst waiting for a reply from CRT I should mention that our 07:30 start had a benefit (bearing in mind that I normally don't function before 09:00 at the earliest) in that we saw an otter on the river, near the bank, dived down a bit but was swimming in the same direction as we were going so we saw it dive, swim and surface several times at quite close range. I think that's a first for us on the cut/river.

Reminds me of when I took my wildlife-mad mother to Shetland for birdwatching etc, and of course otter-watching. We spent an early morning and evening at alleged otter hotspots in the middle of nowhere. Nothing seen. Eventually we gave up and drove back to the hotel in Lerwick. In the suburbs of Lerwick, 30 limit, street lighting and houses.... Screeeech emergency braking as an otter ran out in front of us!

Great sight I am sure. Early morning is the best time for seeing things like that. Saw a badger running down the towpath at Napton at seven in the morning a couple of years ago. They aren't rare but I reckon you see about 100 dead ones for every live one. Having said that though an otter swam two metres away from where I was standing on the pontoons at my mooring at 1030 on a Sunday morning about a month ago. I have some blurry photos on the iPad to prove it. First one I had ever seen outside of captivity. They live in Coney Meadow reed bed just outside Droitwich and apparently head to the basin to fish.

JP

Telemachus, just passed her e at Stoke Works, 12:30pm, looking good, was unable to say hi,, sorry,, but have a good trip

Is WJ the R.W Davis boat moored on an EOG mooring just along from the "baby boat"? In which case it looks smarter than our boat. Huh!