A swan warning!

jellybeano

Featured Posts

Just want to warn boaters on the Geand Union Canal along from Leamington......there is a very aggressive swan defending his partner's nest, right on the towpath between bridges 34 and 35. Boaters would not normally be walking along this stretch, as there are no locks in the immediate vicinity, but just be aware, if you fancy a walk. We tried to help a girl on a bike yesterday, in the end, she turned back, and we told her how to get round that stretch by road instead. He was a very, very persistent, frightening swan!

Once the breeding season kicks in all Cobs become very bolshie indeed, nest, mate and eggs to defend, its a very serious job for a swan.

Phil

It is Taff has had a few surprises over the years and ended up running for his life!!

Whilst they will try and big themselves up, ultimately swans are vegetarian birds and will back off in the face of humans. We are a big potentially hostile predator, when all is said and done. It's been a long time, but I did help with some swan ringing once. At no point was my arm in danger of breaking ;)

Whilst they will try and big themselves up, ultimately swans are vegetarian birds and will back off in the face of humans. We are a big potentially hostile predator, when all is said and done. It's been a long time, but I did help with some swan ringing once. At no point was my arm in danger of breaking wink.png

I still wouldn't chance it though, you may come up against some real nutcase who could do some damage.

I still wouldn't chance it though, you may come up against some real nutcase who could do some damage.

All parts of the Swan are more fragile than a human and like a goose once you have got hold of the neck they are pretty much defenceless, at least in my experience.

It always amuses me how grown men run away, terrified, from aggressive geese or swans.

Standing your ground with a good kick in the bollox at the ready, is my plan. (I've yet to try that though, and I might end up running away!)

It always amuses me how grown men run away, terrified, from aggressive geese or swans.

Standing your ground with a good kick in the bollox at the ready, is my plan. (I've yet to try that though, and I might end up running away!)

I have frequently used the grab them by the neck method it generally only takes a short time before they learn you are in control and do a runner as soon as released.

I have frequently used the grab them by the neck method it generally only takes a short time before they learn you are in control and do a runner as soon as released.

That rings true. A friend of mine had a local swan, which used to poke its head into a normally-open porthole in his yacht. This arrangement worked amicably for a good few months, until it poked its head in while he was varnishing his porthole surround, one day. The swan got some varnish on its face, so he grabbed it by the neck, from inside his boat, and wiped off all the varnish from its head with white spirit. He did say that the swan didn't struggle, so it was successfully freed from the varnish, and all was well.

He named the swan 'White Spirit' after that, which I thought was quite funny.

I have frequently used the grab them by the neck method...

Why would anyone need to do that?

I have often fed swans by hand. When they take the food and get over enthusiastic the inside of the beak just feels like a mild rasp. They are no threat to humans..well maybe a small child.

Having said that, I have heard they can drown a dog if it gets into the water.

Why would anyone need to do that?

I have often fed swans by hand. When they take the food and get over enthusiastic the inside of the beak just feels like a mild rasp. They are no threat to humans..well maybe a small child.

Having said that, I have heard they can drown a dog if it gets into the water.

I'm afraid that I consider swans to be thankless, arrogant, food-demanding hooligans that hiss at you if you DON"T feed the buggers!

I take it you have never had an angry Cob aiming its beak towards your crotch!

I can say I've never had that experience. Mind you, I normally feed them through the hatch on the boat!

I'm afraid that I consider swans to be thankless, arrogant, food-demanding hooligans that hiss at you if you DON"T feed the buggers!

...a bit like a baby then...except they cry instead of hiss..

I can say I've never had that experience. Mind you, I normally feed them through the hatch on the boat!

...a bit like a baby then...except they cry instead of hiss..

Yes, a few people could do with the neck ringing at times to shut them up. These people seem to do the same when they want something or get there own way. teenagers, reality TV show people to say a couple.

I have had a few in my time on the bank while fishing, a lot in Skipton many years ago, The sods would just come along and hassle me for my bean buttys, not a chance so they then stuck there heads in the maggot box lol.

Whats a bean butty? is this some sort of northern delicacy? I know its grim up north but even with a modicum of economy there is always fish paste.

Eee lad!! Tha cant Ave thee fish paste till thas got thee fish. Daft bugger!!

Edited by The Lockie

Just want to warn boaters on the Geand Union Canal along from Leamington......there is a very aggressive swan defending his partner's nest, right on the towpath between bridges 34 and 35. Boaters would not normally be walking along this stretch, as there are no locks in the immediate vicinity, but just be aware, if you fancy a walk. We tried to help a girl on a bike yesterday, in the end, she turned back, and we told her how to get round that stretch by road instead. He was a very, very persistent, frightening swan!

I fed the female by hand while she was on the nest. She appreciated the wet cereal and some long grass which was used to make the nest more comfy.

A couple of times that cob was on the bank quite close but seemed ok, i didn`t feed by hand just tossed cereal close for her to reach, he then waddled over for some. Must say i kept him about 12 feet away.

The nest has 5 eggs in it.

Spent a while in the area and a frequent visitor to the winding hole on offside was a Muntjac deer.

Since we moved to our canalside house 2 years ago, we have been visited by the local pair and their offspring. In 2014 they had 9 cygnets and lost one quite late on.

Last year they had 8 cygnets and all survived.

Both years they have brought their cygnets to show us during the second week of May. I think they are showing their offspring which houses will feed them and which wont!

Whats a bean butty? is this some sort of northern delicacy? I know its grim up north but even with a modicum of economy there is always fish paste.

EEee lad, it what it says ont tin, it started when me and my gramps went fishing and forgot the camping stove we took with us, so all we had was a tin of beans ( HEINZ, no there will do ) and blue Warburtons bread. So cold beans buttys is what we had and by eck its good.

Ah but then we made our own full breaky in a tin, lek you can buy but ours is best. Cook sausage, bacon, egg mushrooms night before, then have the bean butty, half tin and add the breakfast bit that were cut up night before and warm on stove. Cant beat that on a cold morning fishing on the canal bank.

Whilst they will try and big themselves up, ultimately swans are vegetarian birds and will back off in the face of humans. We are a big potentially hostile predator, when all is said and done. It's been a long time, but I did help with some swan ringing once. At no point was my arm in danger of breaking wink.png

Um I don't think so. I once saw a swan up near Skipton attack a hire boater who was wearing shorts. It drew blood. I wouldn't trust the damn things as far as I can throw them. I always give them a very wide berth at any time.