Eating fish from the Mon & Brec?

TomC

Featured Posts

My parents have just bought a boat on the Mon and Brec and we are soon off to visit for some holidaying. We spent many happy weeks holidaying on the canal when we were young and did quite a bit of fishing (with fairly varied results) and I’m thinking about taking it up again. What I’m wondering is whether there is anything in the canal that is edible, by that I mean anything which is tasty and is the water clean enough to produce edible fish?

Your thoughts and experiences are much appreciated.

TC.

Hi Tom welcome to the forum.

Apparently if you catch coarse fish in the canal you can take them home alive, keep them in the bath with the water running constantly for a week, kill and gut them, soak them in brine for 4 days, cook them in a strong chillie sauce.

Then bin them and go down the chippy because they still taste of pond poo.

Having said that I have ate Zander from the G.U. which was ok, but I think this is the exception.

Hi Tom welcome to the forum.

Apparently if you catch coarse fish in the canal you can take them home alive, keep them in the bath with the water running constantly for a week, kill and gut them, soak them in brine for 4 days, cook them in a strong chillie sauce.

Then bin them and go down the chippy because they still taste of pond poo.

Having said that I have ate Zander from the G.U. which was ok, but I think this is the exception.

Zander and pike are both pretty good, but I'm not sure I'd touch much else. My Eastern Bloc friends tell me carp is delicious, but whatever you do don't get nicked taking them.

John

PS. the chippy is a brilliant alternative....

Do you like a nice pork chop...........mmmmmmmmm..pigs grub around in pig pooh for their breakfast, dinner and tea, most fish sift particles of food from the detritous on the bottom of the depths, be it fresh or salt.

Having said that we should be thinking about preserving and protecting our friends in the cut, not thinking how best to cook them.......... :)

• 4 months later...
Do you like a nice pork chop...........mmmmmmmmm..pigs grub around in pig pooh for their breakfast, dinner and tea, most fish sift particles of food from the detritous on the bottom of the depths, be it fresh or salt.

Having said that we should be thinking about preserving and protecting our friends in the cut, not thinking how best to cook them.......... <_<

In some canals if not all it is illegal to take fish from the water. On the K&A there are signs thay say "If you see anyone removing fish from the canal call the police a report theft in progress". The fish after all belong to those people who stock the water for sport fishing.

In some canals if not all it is illegal to take fish from the water. On the K&A there are signs thay say "If you see anyone removing fish from the canal call the police a report theft in progress". The fish after all belong to those people who stock the water for sport fishing.

Plus your National Rod License (course fishing) issued by the Environment Agency used to limit you to the removal of two fish per day - I've asked the EA to confirm that the two fish limit is still the case but as yet I've not received a reply

I'd be interested in the reply you get

Historically the removal of fish from rivers was common practice, but now there is a general understanding among anglers that any fish caught should be returned to the water. However, anyone fishing legally with a valid rod licence can keep the fish they catch as long as they have the fishery owner's permission.

From http://www.fishing4fun.co.uk/article.asp?art=98

Which is even more confusing <_<

• 3 weeks later...

As a keen angler for many years, the subject of fish being for taken is a bit of a sticky topic. It's only become a serious issue since the influx of migrant workers from various eastern european/ex- russian states.

You will find that most bylaws state that anyone one can take a maximum of two fish from canals/rivers unless they are trout or salmon caught out of season. (regardless of any controlling clubs stocking of these fish, how do you prove that they are the same fish ? after all, no single club controls an entire canal and fish do travel some). Lakes are different as they are either owned or leased by fishing clubs therefore the fish are classed as "owned".

As a matter of interest, it was only in the early 1960's that the canning of Perch from Lake Windemire stopped. (Started as an alternative to lack of tinned pilchards during the second world war).

The problem caused by the migrants are the quantities of fish being taken, they are not aware of the limit and there are migrants removing fish in large numbers to sell rather than just to feed themselves. The waters and fish stocks in the UK are not a sustainable food source, plain and simple.

For the last five years or so I have witnessed the decline of, not only fish stocks, but ducks, geese and swans in my home area of the Lea Valley and have reported fish theft a number of times to the authorities. (Bream being loaded into the boot of a Polish plated Nissan :mellow: )

Back to the question, pike is very boney, carp need to be "cleaned" in the suggested week in a bath tub but Zander is very tasty. (I have tried all three but none from British waters).

It depends what part of the Mon and Brecon your on, down here in the southern end, you can catch as much as you like but cant take any out, and the local fisherman, say it is very dirty and dont recomend eating them. Im not sure what it is like past Pontnewyyd but I am sure there will be people who will be able to tell you.

In the last few years the fisheries commision has been really strict on people caught, catching fish in unusual ways because twice over the three years, travellers in the are have been caught drag netting the canal, just after they re-stocked it.

P

Edited For Bad Spelling

Edited by Paul And Vikki

Although strictly speaking it may be legal to take one or two fish for the pot, in practice most anglers return their catch safely. I don't think there's anything swimming in a canal that would tempt me! However, a nice brownie from my local river is a different prospect entirely!

The taking of large fish is a serious concern at the moment. Some is certainly done by migrant workers who regard our large carp as a delicacy, but they aren't totally to blame for all the recent problems. Signs are being put up at many fisheries, in various languages, to try and educate them in the "etiquette" of angling in this country. After all, if they want carp or bream, they can find them on sale at many branches of Sainsbury's, and local fishmarkets.

Sometimes the problems lie a little closer to home. I've heard reports of fish being stolen to order by fisheries who don't want to buy through reputable sources. They risk the transfer of disease by moving fish without proper EA approval - several fisheries have been infected with the Koi herpes virus (KHV), resulting in fish deaths.

My local pond was recently illegally netted, and a large quantity of big carp and tench removed, and there is no suggestion of it being done by so-called migrants. These were local chancers out to make a quick profit. It's a major problem for the small angling club that owns the rights to it. It will take them several years to be able to afford to restock it with that standard of fish and all time they'll be losing money as anglers in search of big carp decide to fish elsewhere.

Oops! I forgot where I was. I'll get back to the angling forum!

Janet

Sometimes the problems lie a little closer to home. I've heard reports of fish being stolen to order by fisheries who don't want to buy through reputable sources. They risk the transfer of disease by moving fish without proper EA approval - several fisheries have been infected with the Koi herpes virus (KHV), resulting in fish deaths.

My local pond was recently illegally netted, and a large quantity of big carp and tench removed, and there is no suggestion of it being done by so-called migrants. These were local chancers out to make a quick profit. It's a major problem for the small angling club that owns the rights to it. It will take them several years to be able to afford to restock it with that standard of fish and all time they'll be losing money as anglers in search of big carp decide to fish elsewhere.

Janet

Very true. There is a very high price for fisheries to pay for "specimen" sized carp, it amazes me how known mirror carp turn up in different waters ! (Incidently, the illegal transfer of big carp isn't just restricted to these shores. There have been numerous reports of French fisheries having carp illegaly removed for them to be brought over to UK fisheries).

I tried this. By the end of the week I felt quite attached to them. The kids had given them names. We'd even started to spot different personality traits in them. We fed them. Even took one to the vet when it looked a bit ill. I couldn't kill them and put them back in the water.

Soft ###t.

Gibbo Edited by DHutch

• 5 weeks later...
Plus your National Rod License (course fishing) issued by the Environment Agency used to limit you to the removal of two fish per day - I've asked the EA to confirm that the two fish limit is still the case but as yet I've not received a reply

trust me you are not allowed to take coarse fish from still or moving waters . trout and salmon are a different proposition

You are still allowed to take a certain number of coarse fish per day, providing you have the permission of the club or riparian owner.

Exact details can be found on the EA website, regarding numbers, minimum size, close seasons etc.

Janet

You are still allowed to take a certain number of coarse fish per day, providing you have the permission of the club or riparian owner.

Exact details can be found on the EA website, regarding numbers, minimum size, close seasons etc.

Janet

hi janet i cant imagine any riperian owners giving said permission in certain cases where an owner is (getting rid) of unwanted species to fill the lake with another species or maybe over population but both woul be in lakes i think