Mooring Pin/Spike Warning Covers

GreyLady

Featured Posts

I use an old hi-viz vest, which I cut on half lengthways down the back. I then threaded the back sections through the shoulder holes around the D rings on the mooring pins, and this works for me, although I hate mooring with pins with a passion and only ever use them as a last resort.

How come you don't like mooring pins ?

I guess any mooring without mooring rings is damaging.

Just a daft question from a know nuffing, are nappy pins more damaging only where I am their is a lot of banking collapsed which was once shored up by that corrugated stuff.

I'd have said pins are more damaging, because every time they're used, it involves disrupting the soil somewhat. And the holes tend to be enlarged if its soft, with passing boats tugging the moored boat around etc. Nappy pins, correctly used, pull metal to metal and the piling is normally well secured, being driven deep into the ground so the pulling from a moored boat is relatively low force.

Ow ok!

Bloody speedboats on the canal. Tut

I find that when the ground is saturated, even slowly passing boats work the pins loose and it becomes a bit of a vicious circle, every subsequent passing boat loosens the pins by more than the one before until they are as risk of being pulled out. I do use mooring pins if I have to, but always prefer rings or goat chains whenever possible.

CRT have thousands of mooring rings on towpath edges around the country with nothing bright attached, and those are easily missed when hidden by vegetation and there's no line attached, but they don't seem to get sued. This would be because the courts expect that a reasonable person would realise they might be there and keep to the path.

As darkness fell one evening last year at Aynho we were about to moor on pins when the skipper's foot hit a ring (not hard enough to hurt), so we hunted about in the undergrowth with a torch and found one or two more and used those.

I had a job finding them during the day

I'd have said pins are more damaging, because every time they're used, it involves disrupting the soil somewhat. And the holes tend to be enlarged if its soft, with passing boats tugging the moored boat around etc. Nappy pins, correctly used, pull metal to metal and the piling is normally well secured, being driven deep into the ground so the pulling from a moored boat is relatively low force.

Thanks Paul, where we are their is vast stretches of Pilling that has fallen into the canal and big chunks of earth behind it, i read something last year about banning mooring pins but how that would work Wur I am is inconceivable.

Ps those vast stretches have orange crt fencing and in some spots enough room for 1 dog at a time.

I find that when the ground is saturated, even slowly passing boats work the pins loose and it becomes a bit of a vicious circle, every subsequent passing boat loosens the pins by more than the one before until they are as risk of being pulled out. I do use mooring pins if I have to, but always prefer rings or goat chains whenever possible.

I guess it's a better piece of mind when leaving your boat, I've Gorra lot to learn. Edited by GreyLady

This is possibly the thread that Martin remembers, about a cyclist suing a boater. It is also discussed at length in the Rose of Arden blog, written by a forum member. But it both cases it is only hearsay, and I can't find any firm evidence of it having actually happened.

I use the old-fashioned cylindrical washing-up liquid containers, doubling up as paintbrush cleaning vessels, so they're all sorts of colours.

Edited to say I have found several more references to the "cyclist sues boater" scenario (including NBW of course!) but no firm evidence.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I guess there's always a market for people who want to spend their money on things which do the same thing.

True, though being honest we've spent a small fortune on all sorts while waiting for the boat, I guess the thinking is each item is one step closer to being prepared.

I doubt my mum would let me store cut in half milk bottles under her bed. Lol

Truth

Edited by GreyLady

This is possibly the thread that Martin remembers, about a cyclist suing a boater. It is also discussed at length in the Rose of Arden blog, written by a forum member. But it both cases it is only hearsay, and I can't find any firm evidence of it having actually happened.

I use the old-fashioned cylindrical washing-up liquid containers, doubling up as paintbrush cleaning vessels, so they're all sorts of colours.

That's it Mac I think. So it looks as if they probably got 'short shrift'

Just as a sort of passing thought, since most of the 'trips' are likely to take place in the dark, would using a couple of these solar garden lights (about a quid each from Wilkos) driven in alongside or attached to the mooring pins be an idea. I also hate using mooring pins and they are only the last option when all else fails.

Its the way they make them these days with a welded ring 6" from the top.

True I've just checked our force4chandelry mooring pin order and they look like 6" above rope ring.

Maybe fruit juice bottles were a better option.

Scratches head while retrieving my coat.

Go on just admit it, you just like tripping people up with 8mm rope. Haha

8mm that's only suitable for use as a garrote

Or on a sailing dinghy

Its the way they make them these days with a welded ring 6" from the top.

Just knockem in so the rings below ground

True, though being honest we've spent a small fortune on all sorts while waiting for the boat, I guess the thinking is each item is one step closer to being prepared.

I doubt my mum would let me store cut in half milk bottles under her bed. Lol

Truth

You don't need to cut bottles in half,they just pop over the top of the pins.I think you're thinking of the massive bottles & not the litre ones. Edited by The Bearwood Boster

You don't need to cut bottles in half,they just pop over the top of the pins.I think you're thinking of the massive bottles & not the litre ones.

Thanks, it's a good idea it don't matter wots on top, I reckon once I get on board I will think less about stuff.

Then the rope gets all dirty and I have to put them in the washing machine before we moor up again.

Well one can't have dirty ropes can one.

Pfffft, I will let my dad cast off if a dogs cocked it's leg . Lol hehe

Edited by GreyLady

I looked at a boat whose skipper has designed something he calls "boomeranchors" which should stop this from happening. I don't know if they're available to buy but I thought it was genius. I'd love it if he did market them, I'd certainly get some.

Just as a sort of passing thought, since most of the 'trips' are likely to take place in the dark, would using a couple of these solar garden lights (about a quid each from Wilkos) driven in alongside or attached to the mooring pins be an idea. I also hate using mooring pins and they are only the last option when all else fails.

This is what campers often do to protect their tent pegs. It does work except with extreme inebriation :)

Can you get fluorescent mooring ropes?