Major clean-up operation to reopen Rochdale Canal

Ray T

Featured Posts

press release

8 March 2016

Major clean-up operation to reopen Rochdale Canal

The Canal & River Trust is starting work this week to dredge around 7,500 tonnes of debris from the Rochdale Canal. The £350k operation, scheduled to last 6 weeks, will allow the flood damaged waterway to reopen to boats between Hebden Bridge and Sowerby Bridge by Easter.

The work will focus on a 3½ mile stretch of the canal between Moderna Bridge in Mythomroyd to Bridge 22 in Todmorden where tonnes of debris, stone and sand were washed into the 200-year old canal during the Boxing Day floods.

A floating dredger will be used to dig the material from the bed of the canal to reopen the blocked sections to navigation.

Mark Weatherall, senior project manager at the Canal & River Trust, said: “A huge amount of material was washed into the canal during the floods blocking the navigation to boaters. We estimate we’re likely to remove 7,500 tonnes of sediment. The work will not only benefit boaters but it will improve water depth and quality for fish and other wildlife.”

The dredging is part of the on-going works to repair the canal. Volunteers and staff from the Trust have being working tirelessly to repair badly damaged towpaths between Sowerby Bridge and Todmorden. There is also considerable work to do on the canal between lock 16 and 17 where the flooded River Calder washed away an entire stretch of canal bank.

David Baldacchino, waterway manager at the Canal & River Trust, said: “This is great news and is the latest in a long line of works that we’re carrying out. The dredging will enable boaters to navigate the canal once again and we’re making good progress towards our target of opening between Hebden Bridge and Sowerby Bridge by Easter.”

The Trust has an appeal to help rebuild canals in the heart of flood-hit communities such as those along the Rochdale Canal and Calder & Hebble Navigation. To find out more about the appeal please visit canalrivertrust.org.uk/donate/flood-appeal/.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Helen Hall, Canal & River Trust

M: 07717 60284 E: helen.hall@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Volunteers and staff from the Trust have being working tirelessly to repair badly damaged towpaths between Sowerby Bridge and Todmorden.

May be they have, and the CRT website did include details of a Saturday towpath cleanup just after the floods, but if you look on the website now there is no obvious appeal for volunteers, or information how local people like me can join in.

To find out more about the appeal please visit canalrivertrust.org.uk/donate/flood-appeal/.

But they won't get many donations since that hyperlink comes up with "Oops! The page you are looking for has either moved, no longer exists, or there is a typo in the url."

As usual, you will find far more information about what's going on by reading these forums than in any CRT press release.

Yes that's a fact!

The worry is what caused so much devastation on Boxing Day?

When asked, the EA responded with the rather flippant answer 'rain'. It's hard to imagine that in the 200 years or so history of the Calder Valley canal system there's not been that much rain before? So apart from the 'rain' what did cause all that devastation?

If we are to accept that the Boxing Day rain fall was exceptional but no longer unprecedented what can be done to ensure such devastation doesn't happen again soon. After all whilst it did rain for a couple of days around Boxing Day, IIRC the 27th was quite dry and clear. What would have happened if it had continued raining for another day or so?

Edited by Midnight

Yes that's a fact!

When asked, the EA responded with the rather flippant answer 'rain'. It's hard to imagine that in the 200 years or so history of the Calder Valley canal system there's not been that much rain before? So apart from the 'rain' what did cause all that devastation?

If we are to accept that the Boxing Day rain fall was exceptional but no longer unprecedented what can be done to ensure such devastation doesn't happen again soon. After all whilst it did rain for a couple of days around Boxing Day, IIRC the 27th was quite dry and clear. What would have happened if it had continued raining for another day or so?

A massive amount of rainfall which drained from the moors above the Calder Valley into a number of small valleys which then flowed into the River Calder and The Rochdale Canal.

The with the natural effect of gravity, and the geography of the area it was an inevitable outcome. Very sad for all those affected, but entirely predictable. It has happened before, and I have no doubts it will happen again. Knowing the area well, it is difficult to imagine an engineering solution.

My Aunt has lived at Brearley Bridge for 50 years, and whilst having seen many floods of Mytholmroyd, and the playing fields downstream, she has never seen it be so serious before.

Yes that's a fact!

They weren't being flippant. What caused the problem was an unprecedented amount of rain falling on already waterlogged ground. Therefore it couldn't soak in so obeyed gravity and ran downhill, down the Calder Valley.

Think Lynmouth in 1952, and Boscastle in 2004.

The shops in Hebden were devastated, there seem to be more floods due to global warming / climate change. There's only so many times folks can recover from flooding if they can't get insurance, businesses aren't covered in the new Flood Re scheme. There has been a lot of work on flood defences in the valley, they are being over topped, the new flood tanks eg tod Park, just fill up. How often can cart repair, dig out and reinstate the canal at these costs?

I was there, on Foxy's boat, moored a mile or so up the canal from Hebden Bridge a little way above lock 11. It rained heavily for about 20 hours starting around 3pm on Christmas Day, and the river became such a torrent that, as we learnt the next day when we went up there, it had risen high enough to flow over the towpath just below lock 12 into the canal. We saw it still pouring in at a depth of maybe a foot or so. Where we were, and at another point inbetween, the water was flowing back out of the canal over the towpath and on down into Hebden Bridge, washing away much of the towpath in the process. It was also pouring over the lock gates, probably at other locks along the canal too. There was indeed little more rain after the deluge ended on Boxing Day.

Local people told us they hadn't seen such a flood in the 50 years they could remember, so there is some reason to hope CRT won't have to foot this sort of bill on a regular basis, unless climate change means it will happen more often in future.

Looking back at it I think the real problem was just that so much rain fell in a short period; from what collected in the ash bucket on the rear deck I roughly estimated there was 8" of it. It's hard to imagine what preventative measures could have made much difference, the river was bound to overtop its banks.

The shops in Hebden were devastated, there seem to be more floods due to global warming / climate change. There's only so many times folks can recover from flooding if they can't get insurance, businesses aren't covered in the new Flood Re scheme. There has been a lot of work on flood defences in the valley, they are being over topped, the new flood tanks eg tod Park, just fill up. How often can cart repair, dig out and reinstate the canal at these costs?

Yes that's the point if the unprecedented is now the predicable. Without a radical re-think on flood defences what will happen to Hebden Bridge, the Rochdale canal and the C &H Navigation if devastation on the scale of Boxing Day happens again in the not to distant future.

Edited to add link

Edited by Midnight

I heard last week that the cause was the opening of the reservoirs higher up in the valley. They should have been opened BEFORE the rain to empty them. When it was realised there was going to be flooding the owners of reservoirs sent a chappie down to open them - too late of course. The water from the reservoirs ADDED to the rain water was what gave the extra 'push'.

That's what I was told. Make of it what you will.

I was also told that CRT is responsible for the bridges at Elland and (?) Brighouse - an no-one else. What I was told - I can't say for sure.

As I have mentioned before, it does seem silly that the repairs are taking so long. Everyone's in the pubs and restaurants, perhaps that's why? (Go to the pubs & restaurants and yes, you will see them there eating & drinking and doing absolutely nothing to fix the flood damage). Even the rubbish is still in the trees the length of the Calder Valley! Just too much trouble, I suppose. The local councillors don't seem to be very house proud.

When asked, the EA responded with the rather flippant answer 'rain'.

They are covering their asses. They know they're to blame ;)

Think Lynmouth in 1952, and Boscastle in 2004.

Think what may have been if the EA had opened the reservoirs in time....

I heard last week that the cause was the opening of the reservoirs higher up in the valley.

And what is the source of that information? It isn't a view that is being put about locally.

And the latest news from CRT about the repairs and reopening:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/flooding-update

Edited by David Mack

But they won't get many donations since that hyperlink comes up with "Oops! The page you are looking for has either moved, no longer exists, or there is a typo in the url."

The National Flood Appeal was launched on 4 January but was quietly closed a some days ago and the webpage removed.

Subsequently, the webpage has been reinstated but now redirects to the flood news page.

I heard last week that the cause was the opening of the reservoirs higher up in the valley. They should have been opened BEFORE the rain to empty them. When it was realised there was going to be flooding the owners of reservoirs sent a chappie down to open them - too late of course. The water from the reservoirs ADDED to the rain water was what gave the extra 'push'.

That's what I was told. Make of it what you will.

That's interesting, especially if it can be verified. Along with the article on draining of Walshaw Moor (link) it would begin to provide some understanding of what happened on Boxing Day. If problems can be identified they can be fixed. This idea it was caused by just rain simply doesn't stack up.

And what is the source of that information? It isn't a view that is being put about locally.

A local councillor.

And the latest news from CRT about the repairs and reopening:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/flooding-update

Doesn't help just up to Figure of Three Locks. One needs to get to the Calder & Aire to get up the Leeds & Liverpuddle.

People still observed in pubs & restaurants the length of the Calder Valley - and rubbish still adorning the trees.

Edited by Emerald Fox

"A local councillor." (said EF)

Addition: I would be happy to see him again and ask for details, and if he'd be happy to let what he said become spread about widely, and also ask him 1) what he has done about it, and 2) are councils in the Calderdale Valley chasing up the reservoir people?

As I said, it was what I was told. Seems reasonable enough explanation to me, but I don't have the facts. The facts can be examined - if the reservoir owners haven't swept them under the carpet already!!

Tony Blair is still on the run so this shows that Chilcot-type reports only put money into lawyers and committee officials' bank accounts, and anyway, who cares, we all know that Joe Bloggs the tax payer will be forced to stump up for any fiasco. Unless it was an awful lot of rain all of a sudden.

But what do we KNOW about the reservoirs and their management?

"A local councillor." (said EF)

Addition: I would be happy to see him again and ask for details, and if he'd be happy to let what he said become spread about widely, and also ask him 1) what he has done about it, and 2) are councils in the Calderdale Valley chasing up the reservoir people?

As I said, it was what I was told. Seems reasonable enough explanation to me, but I don't have the facts. The facts can be examined - if the reservoir owners haven't swept them under the carpet already!!

Tony Blair is still on the run so this shows that Chilcot-type reports only put money into lawyers and committee officials' bank accounts, and anyway, who cares, we all know that Joe Bloggs the tax payer will be forced to stump up for any fiasco. Unless it was an awful lot of rain all of a sudden.

But what do we KNOW about the reservoirs and their management?

Well according to the BBC, discussions are going on between EA and Yorkshire Water about using reservoirs as part of the solution. No suggestion that they were part of the problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35549468

Why would they suggest they were part of the problem if they were?

I'm not there now so can't beat the truth out of guilty-looking suspects with a rubber hose pipe; but I do think an analysis of what the reservoir folks were doing on 25 & 26 & 27 December could be worth making.

The theory seems a good 'un to me.

That wouldn't account for the floods in Littleborough though, on the sunny side of the border in Lancashire. That hasn't flooded as high as it did for many many years. The catchment area feeding Littleborough is nowhere near as big as that on the Yorkshire side, Todmorden is sitting in a bowl, being fed from all sides, this is then added to by the hills and adjoining valleys as the Hebble valley goes East.

People still observed in pubs & restaurants the length of the Calder Valley - and rubbish still adorning the trees.

Dear me! People getting on with their lives, eating and drinking and supporting local businesses, whilst there is still rubbish in the trees. How very dare they!

Dear me! People getting on with their lives, eating and drinking and supporting local businesses, whilst there is still rubbish in the trees. How very dare they!

Yes, the Brits can be rather filthy. The Japanese would have removed the rubbish already (if the Calder Valley happened to be situated in Japan),

By the way, a walk from Sowerby bridge to Halifax along the small roads revealed an incredible amount of rubbish in the bushes beside the roads - Britain is a very dirty country. I would swap all those that chuck rubbish out of their car windows for any 'foreigners' that wanted to emigrate to Britain who do not have this disgusting, obnoxious, vile and odious habit.

Yes, the Brits can be rather filthy. The Japanese would have removed the rubbish already (if the Calder Valley happened to be situated in Japan),

By the way, a walk from Sowerby bridge to Halifax along the small roads revealed an incredible amount of rubbish in the bushes beside the roads - Britain is a very dirty country. I would swap all those that chuck rubbish out of their car windows for any 'foreigners' that wanted to emigrate to Britain who do not have this disgusting, obnoxious, vile and odious habit.

I thought you meant that the rubbish had been deposited by flood water! The thread, after all, is about reopening the Rochdale after flood damage.

By the way, a walk from Sowerby bridge to Halifax along the small roads revealed an incredible amount of rubbish in the bushes beside the roads.....

I said 'by the way'..... but the main subject is the rubbish entangled in the tree branches the length of the Calder Valley.

Now, if a bank had been flooded and the 'rubbish' suspended in the arborial limbs was 50 Pound notes, I bet that would have been removed in a flash - no time for wallowing in the pubs & restaurants then, eh??!!

post-20094-0-09215200-1458140048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Emerald Fox