Gailey marina to Worcester - recommendations?

whitty1

Featured Posts

We have a week booked from Gailey marina in a couple of weeks time. We want it to be nice and relaxing and so have decided that we are probably going to go down to Worcester and back.

Does anyone have any "must see" locations on this route? Also any recommendations for good pubs (we will have our two dachshunds with us so would need dog-friendly places) or eateries?

Any other hints & tips? We are really looking forward to this as it's almost a year to the day since we sold our own boat - will be nice to see a different canal/end of the country :)

cheers.gif in advance.

Presume you are going down via Kidderminster and Stourport?

Obvious one is to check the river levels, but it hasn't rained too much up here, so the Severn shouldn't be too bad.

Beware of shopping trolleys in the section immediately before Kidder Town Lock. There is a very convenient supermarket here.

See if the NT Rock Houses are open at Kinver as they are very interesting.

Personally I'd go up the Droitwich, because I never have.

At Worcester you can moor alongside The Racecourse, but I think there is a small charge, or you can lock up into Diglis Basin. Both give an easy walk into town where there are plenty of pubs and eateries.

I'm jealous as would love to do it again.

An nice stretch of canal. Pretty to my eye, especially where the sandstone ridge runs alongside the canal between Kinver and Stourport. Cookley tunnel is a favourite of mine - short but sweet. The Bratch is justifiably famous. I wouldn't say i've ever come across any truly top notch pubs on that stretch. Some ok places in Compton, Swindon, Womborne, Kinver, Kiddy etc. nothing outstanding though. The Wetherspoons in Stourport is one of the worst I've been in.

I've the river is low enough, and you have time, I'd recommend a little jaunt up the Severn for a few hours.

If you're leaving from Gailey and looking for nice pubs, head up the Shroppie, nice village pubs with great food in Brewood, Wheaton Aston and Gnosall. A good boozer at Norbury Junction and, of course, the legendary Anchor Inn at High Offley.

Edit: just noticed I read Worcester as Stourport. Hence my comments above. I'd repeat what Graham has said. To be honest, I'd say it's 50/50 at best as to whether you'll get on the Severn in two weeks time. Another reason to go up the Shroppie. Gailey to Audlem and back would be a lovely trip.

Edited by Dave_P

We have a week booked from Gailey marina in a couple of weeks time. We want it to be nice and relaxing and so have decided that we are probably going to go down to Worcester and back.

Does anyone have any "must see" locations on this route? Also any recommendations for good pubs (we will have our two dachshunds with us so would need dog-friendly places) or eateries?

Any other hints & tips? We are really looking forward to this as it's almost a year to the day since we sold our own boat - will be nice to see a different canal/end of the country smile.png

cheers.gif in advance.

We have travelled that route many times, and it is certainly a favourite. You may require some long-ish days to do the full trip to Worcester and back - remember the upstream trip from Worcester to Stourport is the better part of a full day's boating. We usually stop at Compton - for the shops, but there are good eateries and pubs nearby. Wightwick Manor is an NT property a short distance from the canal. Kinver has plenty going on, and our favourite mooring is at Whittington Horse Bridge where it is a short walk up the hill to the Whittington Inn. The Lock Inn at Wolverley is a must and certainly dog-friendly. Kidderminster is good for shops, but we usually move somewhere quieter overnight. Stourport is not to be missed - there are usually plenty of moorings in the town, and a few on the river pontoons. If you like real ale, the Hollybush is an essential port of call - and the Namaste Indian is very popular......

Having hired from Worcester and Gailey numerous times I would say it wouldn't present any problem for a full but still relaxed week. Broadly mooring places would be Cross Green, Greensforge, Stourport, Worcester and the same back again. They would be full days but comfortable ones although downstream from Stourport to Worcester in itself is half a day and a lot depends on where in Worcester you want to moor i.e. on the river or lock up to the canal.

A more energetic possibility would be to include the whole Droitwich Ring.

If the river is too high just enjoy the Staffs & Worcs and go down to Stourport and up to Tixall wide. It's absolutely superb and for me far more preferable to the southern Shroppie which is mostly suited to those who don't like locks.

JP

Canalplan with defaults gives me 2.5 days to Stourport and just over 3 days to Worcester. So doable if you are prepared to put in the hours.

Yes but the op wants the trip to be 'nice and relaxing, so not realistic to do.

Yes but the op wants the trip to be 'nice and relaxing, so not realistic to do.

Boating is relaxing if not done in a hurry. I don't equate relaxing with spending lots of time moored up. If the OP wants to visit attractions such as Kinver rock houses (which are a mile's walk from the canal) and Wightwick Manor then maybe Stourport would be a sensible destination. There would always be the possibility of a day on the river if time permits.

JP

I wouldn't say i've ever come across any truly top notch pubs on that stretch. Some ok places in Compton, Swindon, Womborne, Kinver, Kiddy etc. nothing outstanding though.

We really like the Green Man at Swindon - an "honest boozer", very welcoming, simple but good food.

Wow - great responses, thanks everyone.

Hmm, stupidly I hadn't considered the river being in flood. That will alter things....

We really aren't too bothered about which way we go - will have a look at Gailey to Audlem, thanks Dave_P. I've obviously totally miscalculated the time we need to get to Worcester so thanks for pointing it out!

We didn't really want the pressure of doing a ring but it's certainly something we can consider. See what the weather is like!

An honest boozer sounds perfect Richard :)

I did this route last year in early May and the river was close to being in flood then. All the locks were open but a fairly strong cross-wind and driving rain made boat handling on the Severn quite, er... challenging. Other than that, it was a lovely trip on a very interesting waterway. I particularly enjoyed the locks at Bratch, which must be unique in their form and are slightly quirky to operate. Kinver, Kidderminster and Stourport are all well worth a visit, so an out and back trip to Stourport would make a nice week's cruising, IMO.

My log says it took 17.5 hrs (over 3 days) for me to get from Gailey to Stourport (York St) and a further 5 hrs from there to Worcester (Diglis basin), but that was single handed so you may improve on that if you have crew and aren't held up waiting for river levels.

Edited by NilesMI

Another vote here for Audlem and back. Just be aware you'll have to go down the locks to wind before going home again. All the Shroppie Locks are nice. Not very deep and they are in convenient clusters.

Coven first night.

Norbury second night

Audlem (outside Shroppie Fly) third night.

Down to winding hole to turn then...

Goldstone Wharf/High Offley fourth night

Wheaton Aston fith night

Gailey sixth night

Now onto your pubs for each day;

Day 1 - Evening @ Fox & Anchor (Coven)

Day 2 - Lunch @ The Bridge (Brewood), Evening @ The Junction (Norbury)

Day 3 Lunch @ The Talbot (Market Drayton) Evening @ The Lord Combermere (Audlem)

Day 4 Evening @ Goldstone Wharf Tavern

Day 5 Lunch @ The Navigation (Gnosall) Evening @ Hartley Arms (Wheaton Aston)

Day 6 Lunch @ The Bridge (Brewood)

Just a suggestion. Sorry I couldn't get you lunch anywhere on day 4 unless you sent back to The Talbot in MD.

Edited by junior

Thanks Niles - that's really helpful. It's sounding like Worcester is going to be out but Gailey to Stourport is still in consideration.

That's brilliant Junior - thank you! Will have a look at that in my book when I get home :)

Day 3 Lunch @ The Talbot (Market Drayton) Evening @ The Lord Combermere (Audlem)

The Bridge is a Marstons pub, fine if you like boring beer, but I would recommend the short walk into Brewood (pronounced Brood) where you will find the Swan on the right and the Lion (?) on the left, the Lion being the 'posher' of the two establishments.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Try the Plough & Harrow in Kinver. No food (I think) but the wonderful advantage of Bathams Beer.

cheers.gif

I think you might get a sandwich, roll or a burger. Otherwise I would second that recommendation if it's good beer you're after. I tried seveal of the Bathams offerings incl. a very nice Mild.

Quite a selection of places to eat out in Kinver. I went for an Indian meal at Kinver Tandoori and and can recommend it. Bring your own alcohol.

I didn't go to the very obvious Lock Inn which is (obviously) right by the lock. Was full of families with screaming kids.

What wasn't so obvious was why the entire 700' length of VM at Kinver is just 24hr. I was the only boat moored there overnight and would loved to have kicked around Kinver for the day and stayed for another night.

The Bridge is a Marstons pub, fine if you like boring beer, but I would recommend the short walk into Brewood (pronounced Brood) where you will find the Swan on the right and the Lion (?) on the left, the Lion being the 'posher' of the two establishments.

Actually I'm definitely not a pub officionado or beer expert, I'll take what comes as long as it's not John Smiths or Boddingtons. I do however quite like 'New World', which I think is a Marstons beer?

Actually I'm definitely not a pub officionado or beer expert, I'll take what comes as long as it's not John Smiths or Boddingtons. I do however quite like 'New World', which I think is a Marstons beer?

New World Pale Ale. Yes, it is a Marstons beer. It's the only one of theirs I like.

Very similar but lower OG to Banks's Sunbeam, another of my favourites.

Another vote here for Audlem and back. Just be aware you'll have to go down the locks to wind before going home again. All the Shroppie Locks are nice. Not very deep and they are in convenient clusters.

Coven first night.

Norbury second night

Audlem (outside Shroppie Fly) third night.

Down to winding hole to turn then...

Goldstone Wharf/High Offley fourth night

Wheaton Aston fith night

Gailey sixth night

Now onto your pubs for each day;

Just a suggestion. Sorry I couldn't get you lunch anywhere on day 4 unless you sent back to The Talbot in MD.

Wow, that's some knowledge of hostelries.

Are we allowed to guess one of your hobbies :)

Rog