Warwick Ring

Stephen and Kate

Featured Posts

A slightly random list:

• Willoughby Wharf on the North Oxford
  • Newbold on the North Oxford
  • Some OK bits just to the north of Hawkesbury
  • Grendon Wharf below the Atherstone flight
  • Bodymoor Heath, or Curdworth, on the B&F.
  • Birmingham (x2). I am not sure if there are visitor moorings actually in Gas Street basin, but you can get very close to it.
  • Shirley on the North Stratford
  • Hockley Heath ditto
  • Lapworth near the pub whose name escapes me
  • Above Hatton top lock
  • Saltisford Basin is reputed to be very friendly
  • Long Itchington
Edited by Scholar Gypsy

A slightly random list:

• Above Hatton top lock

Go out towards Hatton Station. The cutting above Hatton is a muddy hole

Ten days is a long time. We did the Warwickshire ring and half the Ashby in seven days

Richard

A slightly random list:

• Willoughby Wharf on the North Oxford
  • Newbold on the North Oxford
  • Some OK bits just to the north of Hawkesbury
  • Grendon Wharf below the Atherstone flight
  • Bodymoor Heath, or Curdworth, on the B&F.
  • Birmingham (x2). I am not sure if there are visitor moorings actually in Gas Street basin, but you can get very close to it.
  • Shirley on the North Stratford
  • Hockley Heath ditto
  • Lapworth near the pub whose name escapes me
  • Above Hatton top lock
  • Saltisford Basin is reputed to be very friendly
  • Long Itchington

There are.

From Napton you should think about going clockwise, get the locks out of the way first. If you are in good time you can take a detour, on the South Oxford the Fenney Compton when you get back to Napton Junction, or on the Ashby if you are confident you have the time earlier on.

The last few times I have been there, there were less than ten people, including the staff

Richard

But they allow dogs, they're friendly, and they're the only place I know that does a Sunday carvery and asks how you like your beef.

Yony

But they allow dogs, they're friendly, and they're the only place I know that does a Sunday carvery and asks how you like your beef.

Yony

They have the time if you are the only bloke in the pub

Richard

Hi everybody

We are hoping to do the Warwick ring staring from Napton junction on the 1st July. We have the boat for 10 nights and want to do it anticlockwise. where would you suggest good stopping points are. We would like a day in Gas street if that is possible. Your thoughts please

That is just over 60 hours cruising time, remember you may only manage a few hours on the first day depending what time you get away. Have a look at this site http://canalplan.eu/

Best pub in a 30 mile radius in my opinion smile.png

Keep walking up the hill from the canal, cross the main road and Rowington Club is just a bit further on the RHS. A 'private' club but they welcome CAMRA members or those carrying a copy of the GBG. The couple of times i've been there I haven't been asked to show either of the above or membership.

I wonder how the Tom o' the Wood keeps going too. It never seems to be busy when I'm there and BEWARE it closes at 8pm on Sundays.

We're doing the Warwickshire Ring next month, here is the general plan.

50883619-cc5e-417f-ab52-2dceb731d5eb_zps

Note though that is the "pure" Warwickshire ring in that you are going all the way up the GU and are not going into the centre of Birmingham. The OP stated that they want to go into the centre, therefore they would be going up the North Stratford from Lapworth which adds a significant number of locks. Still possible in a hire week though, lots do it, but you do have to put in long hours. Hence my suggestion to go clockwise, as you have, and get most of the locks done earlier on so you know better the time you have left towards the end. I believe the hire base at Napton, The OP does not say which one, would also recommend going clockwise.

• 3 weeks later...