Crick Marina - Views of moorers sought please

Lottiespal

Featured Posts

We have had a winter mooring at Crick for the last few years now. No complaints, friendly staff and residents. Great location for the odd single handed cruise to Foxton, which can be done easily in a day, through beautiful countryside.

The pubs in the village are all good. At the moment, the Wheatsheaf seems to be tops for food and beer, but of course, that is subjective.

I know not why, but we just could not settle in Yelvertoft marina and that was even more exposed to wind than Crick.

We've overwintered twice in Crick. Its fine except for the black hole which is phone and internet reception and depending on where they put you tv reception. For the most part they leave you alone which suited us. Pretty central to get to most places. Only other thing i would say is they meter the electricity and prefer you to buy your own cable with a meter on now. So if you decide to go there do ask them about that.

Edited by tillergirl

We've overwintered twice in Crick. Its fine except for the black hole which is phone and internet reception and depending on where they put you tv reception. For the most part they leave you alone which suited us. Pretty central to get to most places. Only other thing i would say is they meter the electricity and prefer you to buy your own cable with a meter on now. So if you decide to go there do ask them about that.

That's odd! They have always loaned us a meter and cable and never charged us for it's use.

But your right. All forms of telephony are pants!

Edited by johnmck

Why are people a bit phased by wind at a marina?

The clue that there may be a bit of wind lies in the wide open flat space.

It sort of goes with the territory. Try mooring at Mercia if you don't believe it.

The Wind direction and strength can be a pain or a gain wherever you moor, but it depends on the set up and your confidence.

Ideally, we moor stern in to a pontoon. But conditions at any time may make this impossible. The last time we entered Salthouse dock, the Wind negated all attempts to moor in bow first to our allocated berth. Eventually, I reversed in!

More luck than judgement.

Some marinas just do not have the space to manoeuvre, others do. Add local weather conditions, on the day, and its pot luck weather you impress or disgust.

Personally, Brinklow, on the day, in gale force wind, was the most challenging!

Good morning

I am just starting my third year at Crick marina

| find it difficult to find any real faults

The staff are always helpful

There is a very good community spirit

No where is perfect but you would go a long to find nicer place

NB PENNY BLUE

Thanks to everyone for your replies; you've given me lots to think about. smile.png

Sounds like being 'in the thick of it' around the time of the show would be fun, for a couple of years at least, but admit that I hadn't considered the difficulties if we wanted to be 'out' over the bank holiday weekend so thank you for pointing that out Valrene.

I appreciate that strong winds can be tricky in most marinas but it's good to know that Crick is fairly accessible for single-handers. In some marinas we have used, having a second pair of eyes 'up front' is almost essential for warning of oncoming traffic before emerging onto the canal.( For me anyway!)

Although we're not unduly worried about the lack of a good tv reception, it's Interesting to note about the internet access, or lack of, as we have teenage daughters, enough said!

From what you've all said, think it's definitely worth going and having a look.

Can't remember the name but it is the one at the back of the Marina. Crack's Hill sort of sounds familiar :-)

Whilst on the subject of names, can anyone remind me of the name of the pub at the end of the Welford Arm. That was a good grub pub!

We always go round it when we boat that way, never tried going over.

EDIT

The Wharf and it still is. we sometimes call in when travelling from the M6/A14 home by car.

Edited by ditchcrawler

I believe that Cricks 'twin' marina is at Cropredy (Oxford canal) and there is a reciprocal arrangement that moor at one at you can moor at the other,if space available.

Finer details would need to be checked with marina.

I believe that Cricks 'twin' marina is at Cropredy (Oxford canal) and there is a reciprocal arrangement that moor at one at you can moor at the other,if space available.

Thank you for that, it's one of the reasons we are considering Crick., We love the Oxford and the Thames but Cropredy is just that bit too far for regular weekend visits. Crick would give us the change of scene/weekends out we're looking for but the Cropredy connection offers the potential to break the journey to the Thames prior to our longer Summer break which would in turn allow us to explore more of the Thames and the chance to visit the Kennet & Avon/River Wey. I'll give the marina a ring as you suggest to confirm whether this would be possible.

Thanks too Kwacker, hadn't thought of North Kilworth which is even closer to home, will look into that further.

Edited by Lottiespal

There is an agreement for moorers at Crick to moor for free at Cropredy. The exception to this being the week when Cropredy festival is on when there is a charge. We have moored at Cropredy for a couple of months the last two summers.

Ian.

We're moored at Welton just below the Watford flight and were out over Christmas and also the beginning of February. Very windy, in fact so windy that we couldn't go anywhere on a couple of days. Used the services at Crick both times and chatted with the harbourmaster. He said he couldn't remember a windier winter period and that not that many boats were moving as a result. Got pinned to the service point for a bit on one occasion but once the wind died down we were OK to get going again!

The pubs and other facilities in Crick have largely been covered in other posts. The Royal Oak has recently had a refurbishment but still doesn't do food. Both the Wheatsheaf and the Red Lion were very popular foodwise when I popped in!

With regards to short trips you can drop down Watford flight to Norton Junction in half a day traffic permitting! (no problem single-handed as the locks are (wo)manned by some very helpful and friendly lockies). There's the New Inn at Buckby top lock but you would need to moor and turn at Norton Junction to avoid any more locks. The pub itself is food based and they are currently improving the facilities (new carpets being put in a couple of weeks ago!) No dogs allowed inside the pub.

From Norton you then have to go through the tunnel and drop down the 6 broad locks at Braunston to turn.

In Braunston:

Admiral Nelson- Excellent food and beer - best to book if you want food but they will do their best to fit you in if they possibly can)

The Wheatsheaf - A community pub, don't do food but pretty sociable.

The Old Plough -Traditional pub.

The Boathouse - Marstons chain restaurant rather than pub.

Other things worth mentioning:

Butchers

Fish and Chip shop

Gongoozlers Rest

Midland Chandlers

Going the other way its a half day lock free (well 1 small lock at Welford) to the Wharf. We spent Christmas on the boat here and whilst we didn't eat at the pub, they had a good range of beers and everyone was very sociable. Alternatively you can carry straight on to Foxton. The pubs are at the bottom of the flight but you can moor up at the top and walk down if you don't fancy doing the 10 locks *2. There are two pubs at the bottom, Foxton Locks Inn (This is a large food orientated place) and Bridge 61 (more traditional).

With regards to the new marina at North Kilsworth when we passed at the New Year, there still seemed an awful lot of work to do before it is ready to open. They are saying phase1 will be open late summer. That looked a bit optimistic based on what I saw but these things can be deceptive.

Thanks to everyone for your replies; you've given me lots to think about. smile.png

Sounds like being 'in the thick of it' around the time of the show would be fun, for a couple of years at least, but admit that I hadn't considered the difficulties if we wanted to be 'out' over the bank holiday weekend so thank you for pointing that out Valrene.

I appreciate that strong winds can be tricky in most marinas but it's good to know that Crick is fairly accessible for single-handers. In some marinas we have used, having a second pair of eyes 'up front' is almost essential for warning of oncoming traffic before emerging onto the canal.( For me anyway!)

Although we're not unduly worried about the lack of a good tv reception, it's Interesting to note about the internet access, or lack of, as we have teenage daughters, enough said!

From what you've all said, think it's definitely worth going and having a look.

Crick has wifi available for moorers.

I recall a couple of pubs in Foxton village but cannot remember their names.

The Shoulder of Mutton and The Black Horse.

To the OP - if North Kilworth's handy for you, there are also sometimes moorings available at Welford itself (01858 575995) and it's like a magic grotto there. There's also dry and wet docks (with smashing folks who work them), two pubs, a cafe, a garage, a shop cum Post Office and even a hairdressers, all within five minutes walk or less.

Shoulder of Mutton at Foxton has just re opened as a steak house, not tried it yet but that's because the Black horse just does the beast Sunday Roasts imagineable !! And a Curry night on Tuesdays when you can eat as much as you like !. Friendly atmospher too. Think I am saying too much about my eating habits ! Mick

The Shoulder of Mutton and The Black Horse.

To the OP - if North Kilworth's handy for you, there are also sometimes moorings available at Welford itself (01858 575995) and it's like a magic grotto there. There's also dry and wet docks (with smashing folks who work them), two pubs, a cafe, a garage, a shop cum Post Office and even a hairdressers, all within five minutes walk or less.

That's them but Shoulder of Mutton no longer a pub then. Shame but that's pubs these days :-(