Another Birmingham Mooring Lost

pearley

Featured Posts

Last year 2 or 3 of the 14 day moorings were lost when Sherborne moved their services to the Fiddle & Bone. Just after Christmas the disabled mooring at Tindal Bridge was removed to give more space for boats waiting for the services at Cambrian Wharf.

Yesterday we were told by the CRT rubbish boat that the 14 day mooring between Granville Street bridge and Holliday Wharf is also being removed to make more room for the services.

No sign of replacement moorings being provided.

Last year 2 or 3 of the 14 day moorings were lost when Sherborne moved their services to the Fiddle & Bone. Just after Christmas the disabled mooring at Tindal Bridge was removed to give more space for boats waiting for the services at Cambrian Wharf.

Yesterday we were told by the CRT rubbish boat that the 14 day mooring between Granville Street bridge and Holliday Wharf is also being removed to make more room for the services.

Just moor at Sherborne wharf instead.

Am really fed up with reduction in 14 day moorings in centre of Birmingham. We love the centre, it's been a highlight of our cruising year to moor up for a couple of weeks and enjoy the facilities of a big city. Birmingham is on a plateau so always lots of locks to get there but rewarded by a long stretch in the city. However it gets very busy and can never be sure we'll be able to find a 14 day mooring. Several have been lost in the last few years. In addition there have been boats that have overstayed-the one that didn't move for over a year has gone (sold?) but there's another that's been in the same mooring every time we walk the towpath (so could have moved in between). Birmingham has seemed quiet this winter but lock stoppages prevent many from getting there.

In all fairness the space that is designated for the services at Holiday Wharf is quite small if there is a boat moored either side of it.

Where would you put additional moorings though, the only thing I can think is to formalise mooring on the other side of St Vincent Street bridge on the Main Line. There is nothing to stop you mooring there now, other than being in the "bad lands" (toungue in cheek).

In all fairness the space that is designated for the services at Holiday Wharf is quite small if there is a boat moored either side of it.

Where would you put additional moorings though, the only thing I can think is to formalise mooring on the other side of St Vincent Street bridge on the Main Line. There is nothing to stop you mooring there now, other than being in the "bad lands" (toungue in cheek).

That's where I would put them. I know some people make similar remarks as you but if proper rings or bollards were put in at least boats could be moored securely rather than pins which can be pulled out.

That's where I would put them. I know some people make similar remarks as you but if proper rings or bollards were put in at least boats could be moored securely rather than pins which can be pulled out.

And extend the CCTV to there, that would also help confidence. There is a heck of a lot of space there that is all 14 day at the moment and if that were improved and kept 14 day it does solve the issue.

And extend the CCTV to there, that would also help confidence. There is a heck of a lot of space there that is all 14 day at the moment and if that were improved and kept 14 day it does solve the issue.

agree. I would be very happy to Moor beyond Vincent St bridge if had rings or bollards. extending the cctv and patrols would help give confidence. already, at busy times, boats Moor there which always helps.

If we're discussing Holliday Wharf; the area beyond Granville Street has been improved for mooring in recent times and is being fairly well used. So there's your extra moorings.

I'll say again, as I've said before on similar threads, I've never seen Birmingham completely full, even though my home mooring is there. Just be a little more creative...

Just received an email from Ian Lane:

Hi Peter.

Definately, The overall growth of secure moorings on the BCN is one of my priorities for the coming years and we are already looking at suitable locations for them. Following other conversations with boating customers I already have this location and the other side of granville st on my list of places to investigate.

I want to attract more people to the centre so a growth in moorings is a must.

Kind regards

Ian

If we're discussing Holliday Wharf; the area beyond Granville Street has been improved for mooring in recent times and is being fairly well used. So there's your extra moorings.

I'll say again, as I've said before on similar threads, I've never seen Birmingham completely full, even though my home mooring is there. Just be a little more creative...

You are of course correct, that is another location to extend the moiring to, although not as flexible as the main line as you need to reverse back to turn if you are not going that way. The Main Line has the benefit of mooring on both side and not far to turn.

Just received an email from Ian Lane:

Hi Peter.

Definately, The overall growth of secure moorings on the BCN is one of my priorities for the coming years and we are already looking at suitable locations for them. Following other conversations with boating customers I already have this location and the other side of granville st on my list of places to investigate.

I want to attract more people to the centre so a growth in moorings is a must.

Kind regards

Ian

that sounds very positive

• 1 month later...

Back in Birmingham after 6 weeks away to find that all the recent changes to the visitor moorings gave reverted back to their original length of stay. I wonder why the change of mind by CRT?

Back in Birmingham after 6 weeks away to find that all the recent changes to the visitor moorings gave reverted back to their original length of stay. I wonder why the change of mind by CRT?

Can you explain this a bit more please?

Back in February all the length from Tindal Bridge to the lock landing was redesignated as services only. Likewise the length from Granville Street Bridge to the Indian restaurant lost its 14 day moorings. Now it has all reverted to the situation it was before Christmas. All through Birmingham new posts and signs have appeared.

But why the change of heart?

My understanding is that someone pointed out no consultation had taken place so the signage reverted back to original whilst this takes place.

Over two weeks ago now, anyone seen or heard anything about where to go to be consulted?

I regularly moor in Brum centre and I've always thought the Holiday Wharf 14 day mooring must have been a mistake. There is only room for 1 boat to use the designated water point and elsan (the 1st since Kingswood junction on the Stratford). It doesn't seem fair that 1 boat can stay in the adjacent spot for up to 2 weeks while others juggle about in the cross-wind that makes waiting difficult.

I regularly moor in Brum centre and I've always thought the Holiday Wharf 14 day mooring must have been a mistake. There is only room for 1 boat to use the designated water point and elsan (the 1st since Kingswood junction on the Stratford). It doesn't seem fair that 1 boat can stay in the adjacent spot for up to 2 weeks while others juggle about in the cross-wind that makes waiting difficult.

You could breast up?

Not quite, there are two water points at Warstock.

Not quite, there are two water points at Warstock.

I think he meant elsan. Although there are elsan points on private yards on that stretch for a small fee.

It would be fair to say that CRT facilities on the long pound are few and far between when compared with many other areas. Kings Norton Junction facilities being reinstated would be very helpful. Heading South from Birmingham you've got Holiday Wharf then no bins/elsan until either Tardebigge or Lapworth. Heading the other way, nothing until Windmill End. That pound is understandably popular with continuous cruisers who could easily stay compliant within just that pound if it weren't for the need to keep popping back into Brum to use the services. (Maybe that's the point - CRT don't really want them to be compliant).

Edited by Dave_P