D-Day landing craft engines

jenevers

Featured Posts

Which craft did you have in mind? There are a huge variety from the smaller LCA (Landing Craft Assault, 30 Blokes or a Jeep ), through the LCT (Landing Craft Tank- 3-5 Sherman sized tanks) to the LST (Landing Ship Tank or Large Slow Target- 13 tanks or lots of blokes or lots of 'stuff'). All had variations, such as the rocket firing craft. Most of the smaller stuff was petrol engined IIRC.

A lot of the landing craft were actually US built to UK designs- so would have had US engines.

N

Anyone know which engines were used by the British craft?

I remember my father telling me that the LCT's that he was on had two 6 or 8 cylinder Paxman Ricardo engines, which used the Ricardo "Comet" combustion chamber design, later to be found in such as the ubiquitous 1.5 BMC diesel engine.

I remember my father telling me that the LCT's that he was on had two 6 or 8 cylinder Paxman Ricardo engines, which used the Ricardo "Comet" combustion chamber design, later to be found in such as the ubiquitous 1.5 BMC diesel engine.

Worked on a 21 litre Paxman Ricardo V6 installed in a North British locomotive. Hell of thing - turbo was a big as a dustbin lid!

Anyone know which engines were used by the British craft?

A few years ago I was working for a contractor tendering the conversion of a water pumping station in Hammersmith. On a site visit I was told that the standby pump diesel engines had been removed from WW2 landing craft. They were made by the Buckeye engine co (US Company). Can't find my pictures unfortunately.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis