Market Drayton

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

We plan to be in or around Market Drayton in the next week or two.

Speaking to a fellow boater earlier today who said that things go missing there. Local lads help them selves to things off the roof.

Now, I'm a man of the world, cough, and it may be that he was there in the wrong place and time etc.

Anyone on here got any tales to tell?

I'm keeping my mind open.

I've heard of things going missing but never had a problem. Have moored on all of the moorings in Market Drayton. If your concerned I would suggest mooring at the top of Tyrley locks and walking into town and getting a Taxi back (Dawns cabs are about £4). Wednesday markets good.

We're on Tom's moorings there - never had any problems with anything there and the moorings opposite us back onto houses and the towpath is quite busy. Never heard anything from anyone else who has moored there (on any of the visitor moorings) and have talked to some semi "regulars" who in the pub who I guess if they had stuff stolen wouldn't have become regular visitors.

So it seems that the stories are all "Someone told me that they had problems... but I never have".....

Edited by StephenA

I was asking in the 'pinch of salt' sort of way. Just wanted to hear what I have heard.

Unlike us, he has a very nice boat, and may have been targeted for that reason. Touch wood, we have not had any trouble wherever we have been.

I had heard that Wednesday Market is good. Looking forward to it.

Yeah but,yeah but! You're a big roughy toughy coal boat operator.

As we are now going to unfamiliar locations a thread of this kind may pop up occasionally. Just for forewarning and reassurance. We haven't got anything worth pinching anyway.

About 4 years ago when visiting market Drayton got talking too a boater who'd been asked by a bloke if he could borrow his wheelbarrow, he never got his wheelbarrow back and the boat just down from him had coal nicked at the same time. Talking to locals in the town it was probably a well known scrote who soon after ended up working for HM.

Sadly my experience near home is that most young scrotes develop at a time of boredom probably between 14 and first job then the situation changes again, they have a car on the road so can't go targeting other cars. BUT as one scrote turns into a human, another scrote is made from a child.

No locality is exempt.

moored there 2yrs ago between the main road bridge and the coal yard bridge in the middle of the afternoon to have a nap when awoken by the guy in the next boat saying 3 yoofs seemed to have taken something off my roof On checking my fishing rod and reel had gone my own fault really and have never left one on the roof again anywhere

moored there 2yrs ago between the main road bridge and the coal yard bridge in the middle of the afternoon to have a nap when awoken by the guy in the next boat saying 3 yoofs seemed to have taken something off my roof On checking my fishing rod and reel had gone my own fault really and have never left one on the roof again anywhere

Have you considered the tubes that plumbers have on their van roofs for keeping rods in they are lockable.