Retrofitting bow thruster's - cost?

RichM

Featured Posts

Assuming the condition/shape of the tube is suitable to be used (there are cases of 'tubes' being fitted that are not good enough to work) then all you really need is the unit and some large cross-section cables and or a larger 'starter' battery to sit next to it in the bow.

We have a Vetus electric one on emilyanne, with a battery next to it, and slightly undersized charging cables from the alternator forwards.

The number i have used it is about once every other year, at which its only got maybe four 5-10second blasts between each drydock and painting the tube, which is sort of silly and I must say I wouldnt fit one if I was doing again. That said, but sometimes, especially if you dont have someone to send forward to man a pole or rope, its really pretty good at solving that issue.

If you have an unshapely box, no ability to steer what so ever, and hence used it every time you leave a mooring or lock landing then you might have more issues with longevity but ours has does 24 years now with only a set of shaft seals at 15 years old.

I have never seen waterproof flaps on the ends of tubes, and would be surprised if you fit one without getting the tube out of the water. Although if you have the freeboard at the rear of the boat, dragging the bow up a slipway or rural offside with with a tractor would be an option I expect.

Daniel

Pah bowthruster? Learn the tricks of boat handling, you will then be able to use them when the bowthruster fails.

Having used boats with and without thrusters up to 61x12 I would save my money. Best thing to do is read Chris Deuchar's book "A Boaters Guide to Boating" will benefit you more than any thruster will.

I already read Edward Burrell's book on motor barge handling which is better.

Having a bowhruster doesn't mean one can't learn the tricks of boat handling. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I do drive a car without power steering, but not a car with modern tyres. Modern cars are practically unsteerable without the power system, the load on the wheel is huge

OTOH, my 20 ton boat works fine without a bowthruster.

Richard

My 32 tonne boat works fine without the bowthruster too.

The OP is very clear: "I like my toys". Good for them, go hydraulic

Richard

I've never understood that thinking. "You don't need a bowthruster, but if you have one get a hydraulic one."

If you use a bowthruster as it's meant to be used (ie. sparingly), an electric one is fine. Mine's been fine for the last 10 years anyway.

Please sir do I count as one of the few?

Probably. I've seen you steering a barge, although you did have crew!

Edited by blackrose

I've never understood that thinking. "You don't need a bowthruster, but if you have one get a hydraulic one."

If you use a bowthruster as it's meant to be used (ie. sparingly), an electric one is fine. Mine's been fine for the last 10 years anyway

Try one Mike. Sparingly goes out the window and you can do a whole range of new things with a hydraulic thruster.

Richard

This is such a strange argument. I can cook and have good knife skills and all the manual implements I need. Occasionally though, I press a button, there's a whirring sound, and something electric has made things a bit easier. I could still have done the job without it, but why not use a bit of tech if it's there? The gadget doesn't replace the skills and knowledge I've gained, it's just another tool. No-one in their right mind would go off on one about me having a mixer, surely?

So why isn't it the same with boats? I've driven them for years without bow thrusters and I've never been in a situation where I couldn't manage without one. Occasionally though, I press a button, there's a whirring sound, and something electric has made things a bit easier!

NB. The boating example is entirely fictitious. No-one I know has a bow thruster, let alone me! Damned things should be banned. Thames mafia, hats, flags, etc.

Try one Mike. Sparingly goes out the window and you can do a whole range of new things with a hydraulic thruster.

Richard

yeah, like that pillock I reported in an earlier post.

why on earth would a competent helmsman need to operate a bowthruster for more than a few seconds?

or perhaps it makes espresso?? rolleyes.gif

On the (72', 30 tonne) narrowboat, I've only once felt the need for one.

On the 80' by 14'6", 50 tonne trip boat I steer, it has one and I use it. Our most used lock has a tricky entrance, especially in times of flow; it means I can get the boat in without a bump, and no tipping the old grannies we sometimes have onto the floor. The bowthruster ate a sleeping bag a few months ago, it showed how useful it was and how much it sped things up, especially when time is money.

yeah, like that pillock I reported in an earlier post.

why on earth would a competent helmsman need to operate a bowthruster for more than a few seconds?

or perhaps it makes espresso?? :rolleyes:

Well, stationary messing about is fun. You can do some fascinating turning around using the bow thruster and the rudder. And as a hydraulic bow thruster is engine speed dependant, it is capable of chucking out a huge amount of thrust

Going into Swan Lane basin backwards was very easy, even though the boat had to turn through almost 180 degrees to end up parallel to the canal.

Yes, it's possible without, and with sustained blasts of the bowthruster it was pretty simple

I'm still not looking for a bowthruster though

Richard

On the (72', 30 tonne) narrowboat, I've only once felt the need for one.

On the 80' by 14'6", 50 tonne trip boat I steer, it has one and I use it. Our most used lock has a tricky entrance, especially in times of flow; it means I can get the boat in without a bump, and no tipping the old grannies we sometimes have onto the floor. The bowthruster ate a sleeping bag a few months ago, it showed how useful it was and how much it sped things up, especially when time is money.

It is true that sometimes in confined spaces and with lots of peeps onboard then a thruster is a bonus but not realy ever to steer the boat with only to make coming alongside smoother and stopping in a straight line. Until recently I was skippering 100 tons of boat 86 feet long with a beam just over 20 feet and an air draught of 16 feet but we rarely used the bowthruster and did use the boat when it was not in operation we had passengers and crew of just under 200 some were often old and infirm so were aware of careful lock entrance as a for instance, Realisticaly something as small as a narrowboat simply doesnt need one but hey ho we all blow money myself certainly included on all sorts of stuff we dont need

Tim

• Greenie 1

Richard

I have tried one on a 70 x 12.5ft boat. Perhaps it wasn't set up correctly but the problem I had was that unless the engine revs were high enough there wasn't enough pressure in the hydraulic system to operate the BT. So I had to put the gearbox into neutral and rev the engine. Not something you want to be doing when close-quarters handling.

Personally I prefer an independent electric system that's not linked to the engine. Sparing use of a BT is how they should be used and is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Edited by blackrose

Well, stationary messing about is fun. You can do some fascinating turning around using the bow thruster and the rudder. And as a hydraulic bow thruster is engine speed dependant, it is capable of chucking out a huge amount of thrust

Dependence on the engine is its downfall in my opinion. BTs are not effective at all when the boat is moving at any speed (in forward). They are most useful at low speeds or stationary (or in reverse),so the problem with many hydraulic thrusters is that there's not enough power when you actually need it, unless you rev the engine which is often not what you want to do when trying to move forward slowly. You can knock it into neutral and rev the engine but then you may lose steering.

Well, stationary messing about is fun. You can do some fascinating turning around using the bow thruster and the rudder.

I can spin my boat around within its own length without even using the bow thruster.

https://youtu.be/YbfzCz0cnqc

Edited by blackrose