Trojan T-105 battery charging tips

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Well blimey. Some stuff to digest there.

One thing might be worth adding - an 'Amp' is ALREADY a rate of flow. Coulombs per second.

You can't ever say 'Amps per hour' or 'Amps per day'. That's saying 'Coulombs per second per day'. Nonsense.

It's like saying I'm eating donuts at a rate of two donuts per halibut.

Mind you, use of English is at a similar standard. Hey this is great, Graham has me on ignore so I can say what I like...

Nope, I'm speechless.

Until someone quotes you!

(Where's that wooden spoon emoji when you want it?)

Well blimey. Some stuff to digest there.

One thing might be worth adding - an 'Amp' is ALREADY a rate of flow. Coulombs per second.

You can't ever say 'Amps per hour' or 'Amps per day'. That's saying 'Coulombs per second per day'. Nonsense.

It's like saying I'm eating donuts at a rate of two donuts per halibut.

Well, again, I see your point but it isn't strictly nonsense, just unusual, confusing and and out of place in this discussion - we aren't talking rates of increase.

Nevertheless, Coulombs per second per day would be an acceleration - a rate of increase - in current drawn. Substituting Amps for coulombs per second, you could quite conceivably have something which increased its current draw by x Amps per day. I'm also pretty sure I could eat 2 donuts and a halibut, and if I continued to do so that would be a valid measurement too! :)

Perhaps these will do :)

Well, again, I see your point but it isn't strictly nonsense, just unusual, confusing and and out of place in this discussion - we aren't talking rates of increase.

Nevertheless, Coulombs per second per day would be an acceleration - a rate of increase - in current drawn. Substituting Amps for coulombs per second, you could quite conceivably have something which increased its current draw by x Amps per day. I'm also pretty sure I could eat 2 donuts and a halibut, and if I continued to do so that would be a valid measurement too! smile.png

Maybe something unusual was used to indicate something unreal, :)

Tommy are you still here?

If so, for the best (correct) information, go to the manufacturers site here:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/

Unsurprisingly, Trojan's advice mirrors that of most contributors to this thread, only contradicting Graham with his odd suggestion of leaving the batteries in a state of advancing discharge for a 3 day period.

in a nutshell, recharge after every discharge as high as practical. Recharge to 100% as often as practical. If regularly charging to less than 100% then perform a regular equalisation charge (as indicated by specific gravity readings).

Tony

Unsurprisingly, Trojan's advice mirrors that of most contributors to this thread, only contradicting Graham with his odd suggestion of leaving the batteries in a state of advancing discharge for a 3 day period.

in a nutshell, recharge after every discharge as high as practical. Recharge to 100% as often as practical. If regularly charging to less than 100% then perform a regular equalisation charge (as indicated by specific gravity readings).

Tony

Only problem with that comment is that the OP's daily usage is less than 20% DoD. Now my understanding is that it is not a good thing to regularly charge a battery from 20% DoD or less as doing so increases the internal corrosion. Hence the two day regime.

Maybe you need to think what a discharge is. In the OP's the batteries are in continual use. So is a discharge the current a fridge takes out of a battery in a five minute run or is it discharging the battery to 50% DoD.

So what is a discharge cycle in your opinion?

Edited by Graham.m

Ok so I've got the batteries! Just need to amend the battery box for them to fit.

I am going to wire it in series (one cable from the positive to negative)

The starter battery shares the negative on my current 12v bank, where should I fit it to the new batteries? To the vacant negative or the negative that is being used for the series link?

Ok so I've got the batteries! Just need to amend the battery box for them to fit.

I am going to wire it in series (one cable from the positive to negative)

The starter battery shares the negative on my current 12v bank, where should I fit it to the new batteries? To the vacant negative or the negative that is being used for the series link?

The vacant negative.

Ok, batteries fitted quite easily!

Showing 12.4v at the moment but will give a few discharges and charges so the smart gauge can show a more accurate reading.

Only problem is that there isn't enough space to fit the shared negative for the starter battery. I'm presuming this is rather important so I'll try some re-wiring so it will fit.

Is it worth giving it a charge now? Not sure why, just feel a bit guilty of the ease of wiring it in and sitting watching top gear.

Without the shared negative to the starter battery, there's a good chance that the new batteries won't charge when you run the engine (depending on exactly how the rest of the boat is wired).

But yes, I would fully charge asap.

Edited by nicknorman