Trojan T-105 battery charging tips

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Tommy on those batteries the load of the laptops is very small don't worry.

Did you get a hydrometer?

If you can go on charging for for an hour after the smartgauge gives 100%

Yep. Another observer here, my new set of Trojans (12 months ago) are now twice the 'apparent' capacity that they were when new. Took about 4 weeks go get them going, with average discharges around 80Ah (out of 450Ah), before recharge to 100%SOC (using tail current) each time.

Happy New Year to all our readers!

Also, is there anything on the market to extend the lug size of the terminals? Not enough space for all the wiring you see...

I will thanks. No I will get one though, that's to test the battery acid density right?

Difficult to advise as I don't know exactly what the problem is, but guessing have a look at

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/midland%20chandlers/electrical/electrics/connectors.aspx

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1324/product/p206.aspx

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1324/product/vs-116.aspx

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1324/product/va-041.aspx

To test battery Specific Gravity :) SG

Ok, 100% charge and have left it charging on 100% for about 40 minutes (it's 8 o'clock)

Will leave all loads off except for lighting and let you know the results.

Based on what both Nick and Loafer have posted about T105's effective capacity rising over the first few months I think you'll be good now.

What is the SoC according to SmartGauge now?

I'm just going off the gauge at the moment. 91% at 12.4/12.5v

Please stop falling...

Stop worrying about it.

I do wonder if you have an unknown load somewhere though, shame you don't have a clamp meter.

See how it is in the morning.

Tony

An unknown load would make sense, I just don't know where it would come from. The batteries keep the voltage/percentage once it has settled after charge, just the issue of the initial drop and it draining faster than it should which will hopefully be fixed after a few more discharges/charges.

What voltage would you keep it above for now before recharging?

Forget voltage. 'Keep it above 50% SoC' is a decent rule of thumb although Trojans won't mind going lower as you are aware. Just bear in mind that the deeper the discharge the longer you will have to charge them. Also bear in mind that lead acid batteries don't take kindly to being stored at less than 100% charged, so don't leave it days and days between charges.

I'm just going off the gauge at the moment. 91% at 12.4/12.5v

Please stop falling...

load free 12.4 is about 71% 12.5 is 80%

How much time between the voltage readings

or is the reading changing all the time?

An unknown load would make sense, I just don't know where it would come from. The batteries keep the voltage/percentage once it has settled after charge, just the issue of the initial drop and it draining faster than it should which will hopefully be fixed after a few more discharges/charges.

What voltage would you keep it above for now before recharging?

I don't think you have an unknown load, 10% drop of SoC is 22.5Ahs that is quite a load on your system I suspect

Edited by Graham.m

load free 12.4 is about 71% 12.5 is 80%

I do wish you'd stop confusing the issue by quoting what off-load voltages equate to. It's not off-load, which is why your figures for the SoC are always incorrect.

I don't think you have an unknown load, 10% drop of SoC is 22.5Ahs that is quite a load on your system I suspect

:) So each roll will take about 1/4A that is a 1/4Ah every hour, nowt :)

So which is it? "Quite a load" or "Nowt"?

Tony

Tommy, whereabouts are you? I'm wondering if anyone is close to you who has a clamp meter to try to see what's going on.