A most exclusive club...?

MtB

Featured Posts

I'm rather drawn to Richard's sliding scale and, as such, I withdraw my claim to membership as I had a frightening moment during our first year aboard when I had a full foot immersion slipping off icy gunnels in 2010 when the canal was frozen. If I hadn't caught myself I doubt whether I'd be here now because it was late at night trying to grab a bag of coal off the roof and Dave was fast asleep.

Dave's gone in up to his knee so also declares himself unworthy of membership. We both hope to stay in this place on the scale, and if we do go in let it be in shallow water on a warm day with someone around to help us get out.

I'm not sure where I stand now re. Membership. I never got my hair wet.

I did pull my neighbour out after she went fully under in freezing February water, wearing a thick coat, hat, scarf, gloves and a very heavy rucksack with 2 laptops inside. Bad day!!

No doubt about me. I entered the water feet first but arrow straight and plunged deep enough to look up at my baseplate. I broke the surface so cleanly that my wife heard a small splash but looked around to see barely a ripple such that she was most surprised to see my head pop up. Nope, I'm most definitely out. No technicalities here! :)

• Greenie 1

No doubt about me. I entered the water feet first but arrow straight and plunged deep enough to look up at my baseplate. I broke the surface so cleanly that my wife heard a small splash but looked around to see barely a ripple such that she was most surprised to see my head pop up. Nope, I'm most definitely out. No technicalities here! smile.png

You have most definitely fallen in, to Blue Riband standard too. I salute you

Richard

My definition of falling in is:

Either you touch the bottom and stand up, or you have to tread water/swim. Anything that involves bottom half only or being able to catch yourself on the way down is comedic, but not falling in.

I seem to remember it being "Top half only" or was that something else?

MtB has made me nearly fall in several times.

Also, I have learnt that my automatic response to someone setting off a klaxon by surprise behind my back is to drop and cover my head, even if I am standing on the gunnels at the time.

Yes this was hysterically funny!

I'm just waiting for you to forget all about it, then I'll do it again :D :D :D

MtB has made me nearly fall in several times.

Also, I have learnt that my automatic response to someone setting off a klaxon by surprise behind my back is to drop and cover my head, even if I am standing on the gunnels at the time.

And then there was the time I fell half in and MtB promptly crashed straight into the only moored boat for miles around, which had just been blacked, and appeared to have developed a sudden and profound list after contact...

Was your dad a blind trombone player, by any chance?

(I DO hope there's nothing offensive there.)

Edited by Loafer

Well it's hard to imagine there isn't anything offensive in amongst all that!

I just had a mental picture of a very young Starcoasterette ducking frantically, every time her dad got his trombone out uncertain of where it was pointing!

Sorry Starry!

No doubt about me. I entered the water feet first but arrow straight and plunged deep enough to look up at my baseplate. I broke the surface so cleanly that my wife heard a small splash but looked around to see barely a ripple such that she was most surprised to see my head pop up. Nope, I'm most definitely out. No technicalities here! smile.png

Indeed

and well done

clapping.gif

That got a greenie just for making me laugh so much

Nope I can't join. I've fallen in more times than I can remember during many family boating holidays in the 70's and 80's.

More recently though I haven't gone in unless you count a partial immersion walking back to our boat along a dark towpath after being taken to a rather fine free house called 'the holy inadequate' in Etruria, Stoke.