a baptism most stinky

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

well its been four months afloat and ive just managed to fall off the side of the boat, i was walking on the gunwales whilst sliding a gas bottle along the roof to the front and slipped in the drink,

i was lucky the bottle didnt follow me in ,

ive listed a few things surprised me

1, festival marina is deeper than i thought

2, the water is warmer than i expected this time of year

3, the water is clearer looking out of it than into it

4, no one heard the splash

5 people laugh when they see someone wet

6, i was more worried about getting out of the cut before someone saw me than the actual getting out its self.

7, i wasnt expecting to have a bath before my shower tonight

its been a funny old evening, a sore elbow and wrist but no major damage boat.gif

I went in one frosty november while tied up to the service pontoon in the saltisford arm in Warwick. The first I knew of it was when the water went over my head and my feet weren't touching the bottom. My first thought was that I'd always told everyone the canal was no more than 2-3 foot deep.

I was extremely grateful to the woman in the boat we had tied up next to for offering me a shower as we had no hot water on board after being off the boat for a couple of days.

I was almost blown off of my gunwale earlier, one of those comical wobbly moments that could have ended very differently! With the towpath on the other side at today's mooring though, I'm fully expecting to step off left by habit and step straight into the cut later...

I went in one frosty november while tied up to the service pontoon in the saltisford arm in Warwick. The first I knew of it was when the water went over my head and my feet weren't touching the bottom. My first thought was that I'd always told everyone the canal was no more than 2-3 foot deep.

I was extremely grateful to the woman in the boat we had tied up next to for offering me a shower as we had no hot water on board after being off the boat for a couple of days.

i didnt touch the bottom either but i only said the same thing last week about the 2-3 ftcaptain.gif

As long as it didn't land on you, could have been handy if the cylinder went in. Propane is lighter than water, so even a full cylinder floats and can be used for buoyancy.

Though I guess it would roll about a bit!

Glad you're ok, anyway. You can call yourself a proper boater now ;-).

I went in a few years ago (about 2004). Dark, freezing and on my own. Cracked two ribs on the way down as the stern rail hit my ribs and flipped me over so I went in backwards. Wearing a fleece - you wouldn't believe how heavy they are when saturated. I could easily have been knocked out or otherwise incapacitated and I might have been spotted the next day floating past the Barbridge.

For the first (and only ) time I was grateful for the Shroppie Shelf or it might have been a lot harder to get out.

I'm, still, a lot more careful; I've only done a full immersion once since.

• Greenie 1

Well you've got a tale to bore people in the pub with now smile.png (and I bet it will be 30 foot deep minus 20degC and a 200 yard swim to shore )

Glad you're Ok !!!

If I ever fall off a boat, I hope it is -20C. There could be a hard landing on the ice, but it would be thick enough not to break, and I'd be wearing plenty of winter clothing which should cushion the fall. Then I just stand up on the ice and step back onto the boat.

If I ever fall off a boat, I hope it is -20C. There could be a hard landing on the ice, but it would be thick enough not to break, and I'd be wearing plenty of winter clothing which should cushion the fall. Then I just stand up on the ice and step back onto the boat.

Point of order M'Lud.

It is perfectly possible for it to be -200C and there be no significant ice on the water. It takes several days of sub-zero temperatures for a layer of ice thick enough to walk on to form, innit!

I can remember doing The Bratch in a -120C (according to the radio) cold snap and saying so on here, and someone asking how that was possible, i.e. why wasn't the cut frozen. Well it wasn't... or I wouldn't have been doing The Bratch ;)

(Speeling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Joking aside this falling in lark can be fatal!! Not the drowning bit, the cold shock can stop the heart or the breathing.

A lot depends on how good the circulation is and general health, considering that generally we are a grey haired bunch

On a lighter note a question from my last lifesaving course. "There is never a good time to fall into the river. But what time of year is least likely to cause cold shock"

That one caught me out but I'm sure you lot are sharper than me!!

Joking aside this falling in lark can be fatal!! Not the drowning bit, the cold shock can stop the heart or the breathing.

Can also be caused by sheer embarrassment, especially if somebody on the spot is quick-witted enough to grab a camera and get some good shots!

I went in a few years ago (about 2004). Dark, freezing and on my own. Cracked two ribs on the way down as the stern rail hit my ribs and flipped me over so I went in backwards. Wearing a fleece - you wouldn't believe how heavy they are when saturated. I could easily have been knocked out or otherwise incapacitated and I might have been spotted the next day floating past the Barbridge.

For the first (and only ) time I was grateful for the Shroppie Shelf or it might have been a lot harder to get out.

i was well equipped clothing wise, i had just got off my vespa so i was wearing northface coat and bodywarmer with ski trousers,

not the lightest clothes

A lot depends on how good the circulation is and general health, considering that generally we are a grey haired bunch

On a lighter note a question from my last lifesaving course. "There is never a good time to fall into the river. But what time of year is least likely to cause cold shock"

im glad it didnt happen last night as i had just run home then, a least tonight i had the energy to laugh and pull myself out

Edited by paulstoke1975

yep broke my ribs to when I fell in the good part was though I had an extra 5 weeks holiday, even though i could not move for a while. still hurts now 4 years on when I do any lifting

too true, the boatmen in my family never learnt to swim and the only advice they got was dont fall in. Some of the tales they told of close shaves and a few drownings made me glad we were taught to swim at school.. especially as I got to use my ability in "anger".

well its been four months afloat and ive just managed to fall off the side of the boat, i was walking on the gunwales whilst sliding a gas bottle along the roof to the front and slipped in the drink,

i was lucky the bottle didnt follow me in ,

ive listed a few things surprised me

1, festival marina is deeper than i thought

2, the water is warmer than i expected this time of year

3, the water is clearer looking out of it than into it

4, no one heard the splash

5 people laugh when they see someone wet

6, i was more worried about getting out of the cut before someone saw me than the actual getting out its self.

7, i wasnt expecting to have a bath before my shower tonight

its been a funny old evening, a sore elbow and wrist but no major damage boat.gif

To save dragging the bottle along the roof. Tie a piece of rope to it and float it to the other end of your boat then lift it in. It will allow you to keep both hands for holding on as you walk down the gunwales. If you do fall in then you have a ready made life boy on the end of your rope.

To save dragging the bottle along the roof. Tie a piece of rope to it and float it to the other end of your boat then lift it in. It will allow you to keep both hands for holding on as you walk down the gunwales. If you do fall in then you have a ready made life boy on the end of your rope.

thats a great idea, i was wondering how im going to finish the job in had as i abandoned it after the swim