Classic NBW

Ray T

Featured Posts

One of the most frequent complaints on here is that an OP fails to update after posting.

We have had NBW adding their two penny's worth, but no update from Alan Fincher.

Just find the silence odd!

I don't see anything for Alan to comment on. He is not the OP on this thread

Whilst I know that moderation is a thankless task, it is difficult to understand why discussion is prevented on a discussion forum.

As Dan says, it hasn't, because there was a subsequent thread.

I suspect some people don't want to contribute because they don't want to see the content of their posts copied and pasted- Or, worse, badly paraphrased- onto "Victor"'s blog.

As Dan says, it hasn't, because there was a subsequent thread.

I suspect some people don't want to contribute because they don't want to see the content of their posts copied and pasted- Or, worse, badly paraphrased- onto "Victor"'s blog.

Locking a thread after an initial post does prevent discussion because people believe that mods don't want the topic discussed.

Why else would it be locked?

I suspect some people don't want to contribute because of the robust nature of some of the discussions.

Discussions belong to all contributors, not just the OP. Mods should stick by the forum rules and only intervene where a topic or post is in breach of the forum rules, or where the discussion has seriously veered off topic.

I don't see why the 'nb flamingo' thread was locked. While I agree that those who had contributed had probably said all they wanted to, at the time, that is not a reason to lock the thread. If, next week, NBW comes up with some other ridiculous point of view on the flamingo incident, are we allowed to comment on it or not? If so, why should we have to start a new thread and lose the context?

Locking a thread after an initial post does prevent discussion because people believe that mods don't want the topic discussed.

Why else would it be locked?

I suspect some people don't want to contribute because of the robust nature of some of the discussions.

In my experience most threads that get locked are locked because of people insulting each other, rather than discussing the topic. Therefore discussion is not prevented, but childish insults are.

Edited for spillung herrors.

Edited by cuthound

Put a link to the original thread into your first post

Of course you can do that, but what you can't do is to use the 'Quote' button to quote a post from the old thread, when making a point on the new one.

I just think that it was premature to decide the thread had run its course and even if it had, that would not be a sufficient reason for locking it.

Of course you can do that, but what you can't do is to use the 'Quote' button to quote a post from the old thread, when making a point on the new one.

You actually can.

However you can certainly create an opening post which includes the text of the existing thread, in a quote, and a url to said thread.

Daniel

You actually can.

However you can certainly create an opening post which includes the text of the existing thread, in a quote, and a url to said thread.

Daniel

We've just hired small vans from enterprise and put the dogs in the back.

I'm not sure it is correct to suggest you can you can use the 'quote' button on a locked thread.

Having just had a look at a couple of such threads it seems that the 'quote' and 'multiquote' buttons are suppressed. Also, I don't seem to be able to use the 'quote' button for anything other than quoting on the same thread.

You can, it seems, use 'multiquote' to quote from another thread (see Tuscan's post above) provided it has not been locked.

You actually can.

Perhaps you could demonstrate that by quoting from the locked 'nb flamingo. The other side?' thread, on this thread.

Because when I go and look at it, I can't see any Quote or MultiQuote buttons.

On a site I moderated on the mods and admin. could still see the same options that existed before a thread was locked even when it had been. They were only un-available to the plebs after the thread was locked.

Perhaps it's the same issue here and this is what is causing any possible confusion???

Start your own then. Simples.

NBW did once have a forum and we all know how well that went ;)

Of course discussion is allowed on NBW. Regular corespondents like R. T. Lang and James Henry often write letters to the editor which are always published without censorship. The fact that these names (like Victor) are pseudonyms for Tom Crossley is pure co-incidence.

I find it rather amusing that the o/p has previously posted regarding a CaRT press meeting stating that he will not enter into discussion on it. The post was pinned and locked.

Similarly, a post regarding a meeting between the Fincher family and CaRT was locked preventing discussion ...

Whilst I know that moderation is a thankless task, it is difficult to understand why discussion is prevented on a discussion forum.

Just remind me of the current status of the NBW discussion forum...

That's right -- closed down completely.

You can put any copied and pasted text into quote tags:

Yes, I understand that.

I'm just trying to work out what "This topic is locked" means.

Does it mean; "No further discussion allowed on this topic", in which case why was the 'nb flamingo' thread locked?

Or does it mean; "Please start a new thread to continue discussion, using C&P and quote tags, to quote from the old"?

I'm not sure it is correct to suggest you can you can use the 'quote' button on a locked thread.

To be fair, you have me on a technicality there, as you are write. If you really wanted you could recreate the bbcode that the button would generate, by extracting the post number, however a much easy and more accessabke option is to place a URL next to the dumb quote.

Daniel

I'm just trying to work out what "This topic is locked" means.

It means the topic was locked

The same way 'buy me a pint' means buy me a pint, it doesn't mean buy me a pint but then its my round all nigh, nor does it mean buy me a pint and keep me in beer all night, or buy me a pint dance on the bar. Or anything else. Ahhhh, am I'm getting too old for this....

Daniel

Just remind me of the current status of the NBW discussion forum...

That's right -- closed down completely.

Why ask me when you already think you know the answer already -

Here is what Victor said -

I can understand topics getting locked when they descend into name calling—the reason our own forum was eventually taken off, as of course there are many who resort to such when sensible discussion does not get them their way.

However, this topic was locked after an initial post indicated that Alan Fincher did not wish to discuss the matter further.

It really seems to defeat the the whole purpose of a discussion forum. Why allow someone to post if you then prevent all further discussion?

The reason why I find this all rather amusing is that Ray T was the o/p.

Some time back a moderator posted on behalf of Ray and immediately locked and pinned the topic (it has been unpinned.

Locked Post

So I will ask again, what is the purpose of posting and then immediately locking a thread (so it contains a single post) if it is not to prevent (or at least discourage) further posting.

So I will ask again, what is the purpose of posting and then immediately locking a thread (so it contains a single post) if it is not to prevent (or at least discourage) further posting.

So I will ask again if this forum is not to your taste why don't you start one of your own because frankly you are getting pretty boring now....

It obviously places distance between the post and any discussion on the topic.

Onr answer is that this can be desirable to the poster if for instance they do not wish to be participate of the debate personally. It can also give some time for those who debate it to think about the post/announcement before making comment.

Another is, if the member asks and there is no direct reason not to, its a service the site can offer. By request, and with consideration.

Those behind NBW post things without allowing debate or reply all the time. Why does it do that? Because it wants to and it can.

Daniel

Why ask me when you already think you know the answer already -

Here is what Victor said -

The reason why I find this all rather amusing is that Ray T was the o/p.

Some time back a moderator posted on behalf of Ray and immediately locked and pinned the topic (it has been unpinned.

Locked Post

no one can comment on your posts on NBW so I don't see the problem here. also I don't know why you keep bringing it up as you have done yet again today on there http://narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/8587-only-one-witness-statement I don't think the Finchers deserve this kind of coverage.

I must say if I was Flamingo's owner I would have very little time for NBW ny now if ever, infact I would likely be considered legal advice as this stage. But heyho, we occasionally lock threads, which means all else pales into insignificance.

Daniel

I don't think the Finchers deserve this kind of coverage.

Neither do I.

Before it was locked, there was a thread on the topic of NBW's abysmal coverage of the Flamingo incident, where members at Canal World could make that very point.