Dyson V6 Animal Cordless - £239

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Can anyone confirm the Dyson V6 animal charges using a 12v charger and if so which one do you use ? am thinking of purchasing a V6 animal and just wanted to check this. thanks

I can confirm it doesn't come with a 12v charger!

You HAVE to use the 240v charger supplied. There is a 12v charger for the earlier Dyson handhelds but it is different from the V6 and doesn't fit. I know because I have several.

I have to say though as owner of two V6 Dysons they are not suitable for boat use if you have a solid fuel stove. The V6 has a stupidly small fine dust filter that blocks immediately you hoover up even the smallest amount of ash, and it has to be washed in copious volumes of water to clean it not just shaken out.

For this reason I would not buy another for the boat. Even just regular cleaning leads to a blocked fine dust filter every half an hour or so from ash that gets in the air when dealing with the stove. My other one is fine in the house though and never blocks its fine dust filter.

can you remove the filter? or even lash up a coarser one? I have a Bosch with the same problem when used wet so I tend to run it without the filter, though I'm not risking £250

Yes I could, but the whole point of it is to catch the really fine dust (ash) the cyclone fails to catch.

If I did this, it would just get blown back out into the air inside the boat, and settle back down onto everything and I'd need to clean up again!

Oh really I thought the whole point of those V6 hoovers was to charge them in your car etc..! What a shame, what do people use for the boat then ?

Anyone have any experience with any of the other Dyson portables, there seems to be alot of different models, any suitable for ash ? Thanks

I have to say though as owner of two V6 Dysons they are not suitable for boat use if you have a solid fuel stove. The V6 has a stupidly small fine dust filter that blocks immediately you hoover up even the smallest amount of ash, and it has to be washed in copious volumes of water to clean it not just shaken out.

For this reason I would not buy another for the boat. Even just regular cleaning leads to a blocked fine dust filter every half an hour or so from ash that gets in the air when dealing with the stove. My other one is fine in the house though and never blocks its fine dust filter.

My experience differs... I have a Boatman Stove and a Dyson V6. It works fine, even picking up bits of ash from around the stove, and it hasnt blocked since I started using it - perhaps I should clean the filter :)

Funnily enough, the Animal at home has just needed the filter cleaning for the first time since purchase.

Was in Selby recently, visited the market. One stall had about fifty Dysons for sale. All refurbished. Not the first time I've seen a stall/shop selling these overrated,expensive vacuum cleaners.

Just my thoughts.

For those who have Makita tools, it would be worth considering a Makita hand-held cordless vac.. Not expensive, and uses the battery from the drill.

I considered that George. But having seen one being used by my (then ) plumber, decided it was not up for the job. However, I have to say, The Makita 10.8v drill and driver combo, is the best money I ever spent on tools.

Was in Selby recently, visited the market. One stall had about fifty Dysons for sale. All refurbished. Not the first time I've seen a stall/shop selling these overrated,expensive vacuum cleaners.

Just my thoughts.

Expensive Yes! Having used other vacuum cleaners, Overrated - No! We have a handheld and a corded one on both boat and home.

Expensive Yes! Having used other vacuum cleaners, Overrated - No! We have a handheld and a corded one on both boat and home.

I also suspect Mr nightwatch is unaware of the big difference in power between the ordinary Dyson handhelds and the V6 models.

(edit to remove a redundant worm.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Just my thoughts.

Efficient and highly useful Hoover's.

Just my thoughts :)

Totally agree.

DC14 at home that has done sterling service with 4 dog's in total over the last 12 years.

The DC 30 is ace on the boat and for the car.

Henry has been demoted to swarf and grinding duty in the workshop. It was useless for pet hair - even with a turbine head.

• 1 year later...

I've looked up this old thread because I'm considering buying a Dyson V6 Animal and my question is. We spend some of the year in a marina hooked up to electric so charging one there wouldn't of course be an issue. But when running on the boats inverter and batteries is it alright having it on charge while we are cruising along (or with the boat's engine running), without buggering the batteries?

The reason I ask is that we need a powerful one to pick up our dogs hairs and we currently have an excellent Miele cleaner but it's a 2000w turbo and when using it away from the marina hook up, even with the boat's engine on high revs the alternator screams painfully!

So am I right in assuming that because the Dyson charges up gradually, i.e no sudden drawing of power, that it should be fine being on charge as we are cruising along without damaging the boats batteries?

I charge mine via the inverter when either the engine or the generator is running. No issues whatsoever :)

In addition, I have a 240v Dyson which I use when the engine or generator are running. It makes the generator run at a variety of speeds, but works fine when the engine is running at tickover and the alternator, (55A I think), is supplying the power, via the batteries.