Fitted My Smartguage - Settings??

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Fitted my Smartguage today but pressing Volts and Status simultaneously wont enter the Setup Menu. The manual suggests that there is a facility to prevent a user getting into the Setup menu, so I am wondering if they might come from the factory locked, or could it have been used, or might it be faulty, rather than locked.

To unlock the locked menu requires a Factory reset, which needs you to remove the power, press two buttons simultaneously, the re apply the power - I will need to be a contortionist, (or find a friend), to do this, so I'm going to let it do its stuff until I get back onboard next week.

I need to get into the setup menu as the High voltage error shows when the charger starts up at 15.3V for a few seconds, before settling back to 14.8V, so I need to change it.

(Quite dissappointed with the quality of the case and the buttons - we are clearly paying for the research and the algorithm rather than the device.)

Fitted my Smartguage today but pressing Volts and Status simultaneously wont enter the Setup Menu. The manual suggests that there is a facility to prevent a user getting into the Setup menu, so I am wondering if they might come from the factory locked, or could it have been used, or might it be faulty, rather than locked.

To unlock the locked menu requires a Factory reset, which needs you to remove the power, press two buttons simultaneously, the re apply the power - I will need to be a contortionist, (or find a friend), to do this, so I'm going to let it do its stuff until I get back onboard next week.

I need to get into the setup menu as the High voltage error shows when the charger starts up at 15.3V for a few seconds, before settling back to 14.8V, so I need to change it.

(Quite dissappointed with the quality of the case and the buttons - we are clearly paying for the research and the algorithm rather than the device.)

Are you holding the two buttons down for at least 2 seconds?

If it is a new SG it shouldn't be locked. Or is it second hand?

You can't change the voltage at which the E03 comes on, you can only disable it altogether. Don't get confused between the hi voltage alarm (which operates an output) and the E03.

Since you just have to press any key to get rid of the E03 I would be inclined to leave it, rather than disable it.

Yes the case is a bit "retro", to put it politely, but it is what is inside that is important.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Brand new from Cactus Navigation.

2 buttons for 2 Seconds!!! I've tried up to 10 seconds, and probably more :) Hard to actually tell whether a button is pressed, particularly the voltage button, which is why I'm wondering if it's preset. It sometimes takes several presses to get it to show the voltage, rather than the SOC.

I'll see how it goes, perhaps try a factory reset next week....

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Brand new from Cactus Navigation.

2 buttons for 2 Seconds!!! I've tried up to 10 seconds, and probably more :) Hard to actually tell whether a button is pressed, particularly the voltage button, which is why I'm wondering if it's preset. It sometimes takes several presses to get it to show the voltage, rather than the SOC.

I'll see how it goes, perhaps try a factory reset next week....

My buttons work fine, and straight away, as long as you press the right place. It's now 4 years old. Maybe you have a defective button and the "press" is not making continuous contact for the 2 seconds?

It's probably not going to get better on its own so maybe you should send it back for a replacement?

Hi , sorry to hear you are so disappointed with what essentially is a great piece of kit.

Support is great from the manufacturers.

I have had a similar problem with a standard Smartgauge, it was all down to my installation.

I had installed the gauge into too tight an aperature and the unit performed exactly as you are describing. Easing the housing resolved all problems.

Roger

Richard

All I can say is that after six years, I still manage to 'miss' the buttons, They are micro switches and do not need a lot of force but you do have to in exactly the correct position. I have found that by rolling my finger one way or the other finds the spot.

I even take my finger off and put it back, as sometimes it is almost impossible to find the sweet spot.

It has been like that from new.

Yes the factory reset does need three hands. smile.png

Hi , sorry to hear you are so disappointed with what essentially is a great piece of kit.

Support is great from the manufacturers.

I have had a similar problem with a standard Smartgauge, it was all down to my installation.

I had installed the gauge into too tight an aperature and the unit performed exactly as you are describing. Easing the housing resolved all problems.

Roger

Nope! but thanks! took it out of its' slot, which might have been tight.... but no change. I'm pretty sure there is an issue with the buttons, as I cant even make it select volts on the left hand button now - or it's very hit an miss... like bottle suggests.

I'll talk to Cactus on Monday and see how their customer service works.

I had your exact problem when I installed mine earlier this year. I returned it to the manufacturer who identified and remedied the problem.The printed circuit board had popped out of its clips at one end. I did pop the back off and have a look when it came back and now know I could have mended it myself.

They've offered to collect it and send it to Merlin for inspection, which is good. However, id rather they collect it and send a replacement.

However, if its as simple as popping the circuit board back into place, that could be better than a replacement, which could have its own problems... Better hadn't try it myself, or I'll void the guarantee or something.

They've offered to collect it and send it to Merlin for inspection, which is good. However, id rather they collect it and send a replacement.

However, if its as simple as popping the circuit board back into place, that could be better than a replacement, which could have its own problems... Better hadn't try it myself, or I'll void the guarantee or something.

New consumer rights legislation came in on 1st October which means that if you bought it mail order and it is defective, within 30 days of purchase you can return it for a full refund. Perhaps that is not what you want to do, but it is an option (and then buy another one).

• 3 weeks later...

Mine works brilliantly straight out of the box, and I LOVE the display, buttons, box etc. Reminds me of when I built a digital clock from a kit in about 1975.

Reasonably certain the buttons do not operate microswitches though. Film switches like I see on Gledhill Boilermates, I reckon!

Mine works brilliantly straight out of the box, and I LOVE the display, buttons, box etc. Reminds me of when I built a digital clock from a kit in about 1975.

Reasonably certain the buttons do not operate microswitches though. Film switches like I see on Gledhill Boilermates, I reckon!

Yes it's a membrane switch panel, presumably to easily give the front panel a reasonable degree of water resistance.

Not the worlds best buttons, though membrane switches never are.

Still not as bad as the touch screen on ticket machines at train stations.

Confirm that the buttons are working by switching between status and volts????

They need a firm push in the middle!

Once you get it sorted set the LED display to permanently on then you will never need to push the buttons again!

(except to look at volts or clear the overvolt error)

..................Dave

Richard any update?

They collected it last Thursday, so just waiting to see what happens. I guess if next Friday comes and goes, I'll be on the phone and the email.

Once you get it sorted set the LED display to permanently on then you will never need to push the buttons again!

Interesting! Do you do that in the menu? In my brief period in possession, I found it not being permanently on was irritating. Will it flatten the batteries?

Interesting! Do you do that in the menu? In my brief period in possession, I found it not being permanently on was irritating. Will it flatten the batteries?

Yes there is a menu setting for that. In the context of a liveaboard I don't think the power consumed by the display would be significant at all, however if you were to leave the boat unattended for weeks or months it would be.

Think I have the same issue with the buttons. Tonight I walked away from it, because I couldn't get any read out at all. Thought it was just me being a bit too delicate.

I'll give it another look at in the morning, if no change, it's going back.

Think I have the same issue with the buttons. Tonight I walked away from it, because I couldn't get any read out at all. Thought it was just me being a bit too delicate.

Well that is really annoying. Can there really be a bad batch? Personally I have never had a problem with the buttons in over 4 years, so it's not a fundamental design fault.

Presumably there is still 12v getting to the back of the Smartgauge (best to check that tomorrow before sending it back!)?

Edited by nicknorman

Is yours new as well?

Yes Richard, bought on Friday arrived Saturday and fitted Sunday.

Mike, could you (better than the manual) describe how to put read out on permanently. I cant get my head round the ambling way it is explained in there

OK Mike, cancell that last post. I have managed to make sense of it. Funny I downloaded the PDF and it all became clear, yet it only says what the book does. Is that a sign of something wrong with me?

Richard, I still do have intermitant selection probs with the buttons. However there seems to be a pattern emerging. If I press and get no response, walking away for a couple of minutes seems to reset itself and allow my inputs later. Maybe worth a try.

Edited by Terryb

Richard, I still do have intermitant selection probs with the buttons. However there seems to be a pattern emerging. If I press and get no response, walking away for a couple of minutes seems to reset itself and allow my inputs later. Maybe worth a try.

Something wrong there, I have never had the buttons fail to respond.