Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Holly will be craned out ... and then transported back to Cheshire ... We will then be able to start work on her restoration.

Thanks Trish,

Can you tell us if there appears to be any damage beyond the re-paint?

Hi

Just to let you know.

Holly will be craned out at 9am from Gunpowder Wharf near Kidlington on Thursday 26 April, and then transported back to Cheshire and put back into the water at Wincham Wharf where she will then be brought back to the boatyard.

We will then be able to start work on her restoration.

Trish

Make sure the lorry driver doesn't leave it unattended at a motorway services!

So, we are looking for a red articulated lorry, no it's a brown one, no - hold on a minute it's a yellow one etc etc !!!

I wish people would stop waffling on about whatever springs to mind when thinking about this missing boat and person. its really confusing the issue.

I think maybe a new thread should be started for the gossip mongers and maybe keep this one confined to possible sightings and serious information. ( or vice versa)

Too many cooks spoil the broth and in this case are swamping the most important issue which is FINDING the boat.

stop your tittle tattle and get on with finding it will you... and ideally the fella who's also the prime suspect

theres a whole weekend ahead where we can have a look out. if there isnt a confirmed sighting by the end of it, then we need to try harder.

Yup- you`re quite right .Something struck a chord and got me wound up . Sorry.

The boat`s been found , no-one got physically abused . Good .

Cheers

Phil

I'm sooo happy about Holly!

Can't wait to see her again!

Remembering that this topic is about the loss, subsequent hunt for and discovery of Holly, perhaps we ought to walk across into the Virtual Pub with the off-topic conjecture and bantering?

That's like asking a crowd of people (spectators, onlookers, interested parties) to to stand silent and keep their opinions, comments, musings and curiosity to themsleves. Not very likely to happen i would think. and what's so wrong with voicing speculation anyway - it's a natural and social thing to do.

Edited because I'm an excellent typist Ha!

Edited by Starry

P*ss myself laughing.

Also sometimes abbreviated as PMSL (which I prefer to PSML, because myself could kind of be thought of as two words, while p*ss couldn't be).

Anyway, glad Holly's back, and I hope not too many more people will have their holidays disrupted.

I have seen some pictures of Holly as she was found by the Middlewich staff, they kindly mailed them to me earlier today, and have to say she looks good. The blue in my photo, and in the one of her by lock 33, might have been an undercoat as the blue she now wears seems less bright, but maybe it is just different weather or a different camera that makes it appear that way. If it is a new topcoat that fella Dave King worked d*****d hard to paint her again. All the cratch has been painted too, inside and out! Whatever, she is still mainly blue. As it is his site, and if it hadn't been for his dilligence in emailing the entire forum membership Holly might never have been found, I will leave it to Jon to up the piccies, which he will no doubt do as soon as he can.

I am certainly going to take up Trish's offer of a cuppa one day when we are in that area.

I've had pics from Middlewich today, showing Holly in her new, temporary blue livery. I'm sure, although she looks pretty good in blue, that they'll be glad to have her back and get her repainted in Middlewich livery and ready for hire again.

My thoughts at this time are with the poor people who had their holidays cancelled at the last minute due to her disappearance. As regular hirers, who only have a two week slot, we would've been absolutely gutted if this had happened to us. I'm curious as to how Middlewich coped with this. Were they in a position to offer alternatives? If not, how did the disappointed hirers react?

Janet

I've had pics from Middlewich today, showing Holly in her new, temporary blue livery. I'm sure, although she looks pretty good in blue, that they'll be glad to have her back and get her repainted in Middlewich livery and ready for hire again.

My thoughts at this time are with the poor people who had their holidays cancelled at the last minute due to her disappearance. As regular hirers, who only have a two week slot, we would've been absolutely gutted if this had happened to us. I'm curious as to how Middlewich coped with this. Were they in a position to offer alternatives? If not, how did the disappointed hirers react?

Janet

Hi Janet

Although the boat looks pretty good in the pictures, Adam assures me that it doesnt look quite as good close up.

During the Easter period, we managed to juggle the bookings and so nobody actually missed out on holidays, although each time we had to miss a booking on a different boat. We were turning down enquiries and so we could have booked the boat out each week. Since then, we have been fortunate enough to have swapped each booking on Holly to a different boat, we were working 4/6 weeks in advance and holding boats back so that we didnt have to actually cancel bookings. Some people missed out on having a trad., but everybody seemed to understand that it wasnt something we could do anything about. In general - people have been very understanding.

Trish

Yes, I too was wondering how you all at MNB managed, glad to hear that you coped. Presumably it was not just managing the bookings but all the hassle of the police, press, checking sightings and all the millions of bits an episode like this generates. And all the normal work to be done too!!!! I suppose you will have court appearances and other stuff in the aftermath as well, it doesn't just end with Holly's recovery does it.

Edited by malc1110

Trish, it's really good to hear that nobody missed out on their holidays. We live for our two week hire boat each year. We would have been absolutely gutted to have ours cancelled at the last minute due to a problem like yours. Very well done to all of you for making sure that all your customers got their planned holiday, and I hope anyone who was disappointed by not having the boat of their choice still had a good time. I'm sure they did!

Janet

Hi Janet

Although the boat looks pretty good in the pictures, Adam assures me that it doesnt look quite as good close up.

During the Easter period, we managed to juggle the bookings and so nobody actually missed out on holidays, although each time we had to miss a booking on a different boat. We were turning down enquiries and so we could have booked the boat out each week. Since then, we have been fortunate enough to have swapped each booking on Holly to a different boat, we were working 4/6 weeks in advance and holding boats back so that we didnt have to actually cancel bookings. Some people missed out on having a trad., but everybody seemed to understand that it wasnt something we could do anything about. In general - people have been very understanding.

Trish

I've been glued to this topic for the last week or so - our interest is that we had booked Holly for a week from 4th May. I'm delighted she's found though I doubt she'll be back in circulation in time for us.

Confirming what Trish has said, we got a phone call from Middlewich narrowboats a couple of weeks ago explaining what had happened and warning us that it was likely to hit the press. Another boat (Almond I think) is being held for us, so we will still get the holiday. We did appreciate being told.

We chose Holly because we had hired Willow a few years ago, thought she was wonderful and wanted something similar but a bit smaller as only two of us this time. We'll be disappointed not to go on Holly, but it's not the fault of Middlewich NB and we'll probably book her again sometime in the future.

Lesley

Thanks for the update Trish. Here are the pictures sent to me by MNB of Holly now...

med_gallery_1_167_315692.jpg

med_gallery_1_167_688758.jpg

med_gallery_1_167_738939.jpg

med_gallery_1_167_678135.jpg

Important request:

There has been much discussion about Mr King and his intentions, mental state etc. Now that Mr King has been charged to court, this discussion MUST stop because the case is Sub judice. Any such discussion will be removed from the forum as we do not wish to jeapodise any case going through the courts. Thank you for your co-operation.

May I also please add my thanks to everyone who helped out. I have had lots of people thanking me for my involvement, but really all I did was inform all of you and you have all been fantistic in keeping an eye out for Holly.

Jon

Interesting pictures.

No matter how much you try and change a boat, there's always bits and peices that stick out. I'm trying to be careful now for obvious reasons but it looks as though a bit of money was spent in making the alterations as shown in the pictures. I'm interested to find out exactly what his intent with the boat was.

Important request:

There has been much discussion about Mr King and his intentions, mental state etc. Now that Mr King has been charged to court, this discussion MUST stop because the case is Sub judice. Any such discussion will be removed from the forum as we do not wish to jeapodise any case going through the courts. Thank you for your co-operation.

Jon

Well this is very confusing. :)

I would very much like to know just exactly how a loose affiliation of people speculating on an internet forum as to the ins & outs of an intriguing string of events as one might do propping up at the bar - could in any way jeopardize a court case?