KirstieH

Featured Posts

Don't forget that if you refit an existing boat, bulkhead positions will be dictated by existing window apertures, which are not easily (or invisibly) changed.

Our last shareboat was a 58 foot reverse layout sent trad. Galley; dinette; bathroom; bedroom; 2nd toilet and saloon from rear.

A good alternative to a semi trad is a trad with an enlarged hatch.

Edited to change a predictive text induced "trademark" back to "trad" which is what I thought I had written :)

I live on a 50 foot boat with 2 large dogs and a cat. She has a "traditional" stern, the space above the engine is where the largest one lurks!

Then a very large galley(nearly 10 foot), which contains all the electrical stuff you are not supposed to be able to run off grid! Next is large seating area with tons of storage, wood burner, comfy chair and desk to sit at/read /use computer.(app 12 foot).

My bathroom area is also large with full height wardrobe and tons of storage. The only place I compromised was the bedroom. No floor space as the bed is a full double with the head being at the pointy end of the boat. There is storage under the raised bed, another full height wardrobe storage in the steps and cupboards along the wall next to the bed.

She doesn't suit everyone but I needed the space and had to work with what I had. People who come aboard are often surprised with how big she feels.

I often dream of slightly more space and less dog hairs!

Our trad stern has "straight" access from the stern into the cabin without any need to twist round a corner. This would make it easier I think to design a galley as you could have "things" on both side of the entrance. You don't (I think) mention an eating area. Will your galley be big enough?

Good luck with your design.

haggis

Do you have any pics?

We were hoping for a Marina as a base but they can be tricky to find with internet provided (or at all!)

Don't stress to much about crappy marina WiFi. Mobile broadband is great these days, so just make sure you pick a marina with good signal strength for your chosen mobile provider.

MP.

Do you have any pics?

WE're trying to think if we have any pics of the stern but our shared boat was the same. Step off the counter, down a step (or two) and into the cabin. It was one of the stipulations when we were looking for a boat of our own that it had to have a straight entrance at the stern as I don't do turning and bending at the same time :-)

Haggis.

Autocorrect for traditional?

Edited to change a predictive text induced "trademark" back to "trad" which is what I thought I had written smile.png

Ha Ha. You had me searching Google for that! laugh.png

Don't stress to much about crappy marina WiFi. Mobile broadband is great these days, so just make sure you pick a marina with good signal strength for your chosen mobile provider.

MP.

Thanks for this. Our main problem is that my Husband needs to send big files to clients for work and download large images and it chews through data...he might have to find an office instead, but you are right 4g is getting so much better. Thank you

WE're trying to think if we have any pics of the stern but our shared boat was the same. Step off the counter, down a step (or two) and into the cabin. It was one of the stipulations when we were looking for a boat of our own that it had to have a straight entrance at the stern as I don't do turning and bending at the same time :-)

Haggis.

Haven't found any that show the layout of either Copperkins' or Kelpie's "back .cabin". sad.png

Thinking about it, I suppose the area over the engine needs to be about a foot longer to accomodate the step(s) into the rest of the boat. Copperkins and Kelpie both have removeable steps, which gives good access to the front of the engine.

Our trad stern has "straight" access from the stern into the cabin without any need to twist round a corner. This would make it easier I think to design a galley as you could have "things" on both side of the entrance. You don't (I think) mention an eating area. Will your galley be big enough?

Good luck with your design.

haggis

I won't eat, as I won't be able to afford to so it won't matter LOL

I live on a 50 foot boat with 2 large dogs and a cat. She has a "traditional" stern, the space above the engine is where the largest one lurks!

Then a very large galley(nearly 10 foot), which contains all the electrical stuff you are not supposed to be able to run off grid! Next is large seating area with tons of storage, wood burner, comfy chair and desk to sit at/read /use computer.(app 12 foot).

My bathroom area is also large with full height wardrobe and tons of storage. The only place I compromised was the bedroom. No floor space as the bed is a full double with the head being at the pointy end of the boat. There is storage under the raised bed, another full height wardrobe storage in the steps and cupboards along the wall next to the bed.

She doesn't suit everyone but I needed the space and had to work with what I had. People who come aboard are often surprised with how big she feels.

I often dream of slightly more space and less dog hairs!

We've done dogs on boats for many years.

Large dog on boat: Dog comes on front deck, though front door and straight onto its bed. Dog is not allowed in rest of boat - simples.

Yes dogs and hair and mud and shaking. Got to love them. I can't be a neat freak but no dog on the bed will be the big rule!!! Need Rules....then he looks at me with Spaniel eyes......wub.png

Edited by KirstieH

Haven't found any that show the layout of either Copperkins' or Kelpie's "back .cabin". sad.png

Thinking about it, I suppose the area over the engine needs to be about a foot longer to accomodate the step(s) into the rest of the boat. Copperkins and Kelpie both have removeable steps, which gives good access to the front of the engine.

Ahhhh - you are not talking about a 'proper' trad with the engine in its own 'room', you are talking about a boat with an engine in an engine hole, boarded over / boxed in that you walk over and then down to get into the cabin.

Assuming the engine is mounted on the centre line of the boat I could not envisage how you could 'wriggle past' it without bending and twisting.

Bend, yes (although really more of a duck cheers.gif , as the headroom is a bit restricted in front of the hatch. Twist, no.

e.t.a. walking across the top of the engine, on the engine boards.

Edited by Iain_S

Bend, yes (although really more of a duck cheers.gif , as the headroom is a bit restricted in front of the hatch. Twist, no.

e.t.a. walking across the top of the engine, on the engine boards.

Completely understand now - Not a trad, more of a semi-trad (walk over the engine and then step down, rather than walk alongside the engine and wriggle around into the cabin)

I'd still like to see some pics, this isn't a run-of-the-mill trad, either the hatch is unusually large/long or the engine is unusually compact. Having been on the stern of many trads, I'd say about 70% of them are a PITA to get in and out of; and 30% have some mitigating feature which makes it easier but its never the same as a semi trad or cruiser stern boat. There was one which had an almost full width, square hatch which basically made it a "convertible" semi trad - also, it had a transverse engine.

Completely understand now - Not a trad, more of a semi-trad (walk over the engine and then step down, rather than walk alongside the engine and wriggle around into the cabin)

The roof does reach the back doors (on both boats).

Both have a "steerer's step" extending about a foot and a half into the back of the boat, then a step down on top of the engine boards, (duck!) and two steps down to the rest of the boat.

OK, I am a 60' widebeam but we have 2 large dogs which take up A LOT of room.

Setup is cruiser stern, steps down to galley, into saloon (lounge). Bathroom (8'x5') midships. We have a passage way but the bathroom on a NB could be a walkthrough type into the bedroom. Here is where it would then be up to personal choice. Fixed bed of make up cross bed.

For us the helm area whatever you have, cruiser, semi or trad leading strait into the galley area is perfect for catering both social areas of the boat. The loo area is still in communication with the social area leaving your bedroom (private space) out of "social use".

Just my opinion.

Edited by Biggles

Here's our entrance from a trad stern. Straight in over the engine (under blue mat). Bend but no twist.

Foreground is part of platform for superking size cross bed and, in case you're wondering, we've got a perspex window that slots easily between the doors.

Layout: Bedroom - bathroom - open plan kitchen & lounge (stove at front) - cratch.

40' narrowboat.

12194671_10153748480762959_7884631482048

• Greenie 1

Ahhhh - you are not talking about a 'proper' trad with the engine in its own 'room', you are talking about a boat with an engine in an engine hole, boarded over / boxed in that you walk over and then down to get into the cabin.

Assuming the engine is mounted on the centre line of the boat I could not envisage how you could 'wriggle past' it without bending and twisting.

By walking along the top of the engine and down steps at the front. Martin Megsons boat is like this.

Richard

Here's our entrance from a trad stern. Straight in over the engine (under blue mat). Bend but no twist.

Foreground is part of platform for superking size cross bed and, in case you're wondering, we've got a perspex window that slots easily between the doors.

Layout: Bedroom - bathroom - open plan kitchen & lounge (stove at front) - cratch.

40' narrowboat.

12194671_10153748480762959_7884631482048

Nice one, thank you, really helps!