BMC 1.8 Dismantle

jimfin

Featured Posts

Wiser people than me will have an opinion but the gasket face looks OK to me. I can't see any cracks. I'd clean it up and put it back together.

I would like to see the head skimmed, otherwise it seems ok

Richard

Wiser people than me will have an opinion but the gasket face looks OK to me. I can't see any cracks. I'd clean it up and put it back together.

That was my thought, as the engine is a great starter But the valve seats need looking at and re facing.

The valve seats are easily rescued but probably just need re-cutting Lots of people have B series engines in their MGB's and have chosen to have hardened seats put in to counter the lack of lead in modern petrol.

I've never heard of valve seat recession being a problem on diesels. Does it happen?

The valve seats are easily rescued but probably just need re-cutting Lots of people have B series engines in their MGB's and have chosen to have hardened seats put in to counter the lack of lead in modern petrol.

I've never heard of valve seat recession being a problem on diesels. Does it happen?

I thought the exhaust seats look a bit corroded on one cylinder, the others look to have a nice seating ring but not that one, hard to tell from a photo

OK. Got the bad news today that the cylinder head is cracked and that I need a replacement.

Anyone know of a good one available???

I've got one that I took off an engine that had been wrecked through lack of oil. The head itself is OK, but as far as I remember the combustion chamber caps weren't too good.

I haven't seen it since I moved Workshop, but I'll look it out in the next day or two.

I've got one that I took off an engine that had been wrecked through lack of oil. The head itself is OK, but as far as I remember the combustion chamber caps weren't too good.

I haven't seen it since I moved Workshop, but I'll look it out in the next day or two.

Thanks. I look forward to a positive reply!!!!

Simply out of interest Richard, what stops a 1.5 head fitting? I think some early 1.8s used the needle glowplugs.

Well, to be honest, I would have asked Tony Brooks....

I have heard this thing about 1.5 and 1.8 heads being interchangeable, I can't recommend it as I don't know

I do have a 1.8 head here

Richard

Are any other entirely non-technical readers finding this thread absolutely fascinating, and not a little suspenseful too? I almost wish that Jim takes a looonngg time to finish his engine!

Glad you are enjoying listening to all MY problems.

Boat is laid up till mid March. But would like to have it back in by mid January.

I do have a 1.8 head here

Richard

Are you selling!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my overhaul. No sign of Tony getting back to me as I did a deal with RLWP for a reconditioned head which is on it's way via the north pole.

The piston rings I got were not an exact fit. The compression rings were too deep for the grove and were standing about 15 thou outside the piston grove. I'll be leaving them in tomorrow to be sorted. ie. cut a deeper grove in the pistons.

I also took apart my CAV injector pump. You can but a seal kit online, and you can see roughly how to do it at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h26p78YZIr4

This is a pic of the head returned with cracks marked out.

post-17570-0-90199500-1450273689_thumb.jpg

post-17570-0-69652400-1450273725_thumb.jpg

Received my replacement head today. Looks the business.

Left the pistons in today to be modified to take the rings. While the pistons are been done, I'm also getting new small end bushes. The man said they needed replacing.

Picture of the piston in lath ready for turning after rings have been removed.

post-17570-0-37309900-1450449645_thumb.jpg

Yes they were in the joint set. Should have checked. My engine only had 4 fitted to the exhaust valves only.

Bit late joining this discussion but I fitted all 8 seals to my Calcutt Turkish 1.8 and an exhaust valve seized in its guide after about a quarter of a mile on its first test run. I think inlet only is correct. I hate to tempt fate but it has run for 12 years since.

i also found that British rings do not fit the German pistons, used in the Turkish engines, Fortunately you seem to be passed this stage.

Arthur

The piston rings I got were not an exact fit. The compression rings were too deep for the grove and were standing about 15 thou outside the piston grove. I'll be leaving them in tomorrow to be sorted. ie. cut a deeper grove in the pistons.

rolleyes.gif

I assume, and hope, he means widen

Richard

I don't know if there's enough meat there or if the OP is aware of the requirements of a ring groove, hate to leave a sharp 90 degree angle at the bottom for instance. It may be a perfectly usual thing in these circumstances but not knowing that my hair is on end.