Featured Posts

This tunnel sounds as though it cause a hell of a lot of damage to your pride and joy.

Your air draught changes all the time and practically speaking, apart from renting a crowd as ballast before attempting to go through the only other thing that I can see it to fill your water and fuel tsnk

Rent a crowd to go through then fill with diesel to return - only tempted to go to hawne basin for cheap diesel.

Rent a crowd to go through then fill with diesel to return - only tempted to go to hawne basin for cheap diesel.

Well, to be fair, the cheap diesel is supposed to attract folk down there. If it works, that's a good thing for the Trust. And what a lovely little trust it is too!:)

Eta a missing 'is'.

Edited by Sea Dog

I remember going right down the Bumblehole Arm donkey's years ago in a little Brumtug, but stuck my nose in there summer before last and thought better of it.

I got all the way down to the end in the REGINALD three or four years ago, and he drew about 2ft 6 at the time...

I'm 57' and draw 2'.

And your boat??

Reg got through, the steerers hat didn't though

Yes it did!

You looked most alarmed when you came back to find out why I engaged full astern in the lowest bit.

You didn't seem overly impressed at my reason, which was to go back and recover it!

Yes it did!

You looked most alarmed when you came back to find out why I engaged full astern in the lowest bit.

You didn't seem overly impressed at my reason, which was to go back and recover it!

Yeah true the hat did make it, it wasn't that I wasn't overly impressed but a combination of slight claustrophobia and concern :), that tunnel is just a touch too much for me to be happy in

I got all the way down to the end in the REGINALD three or four years ago, and he drew about 2ft 6 at the time...

And your boat??

That's interesting - so is Bumblehole still navigable? It didn't appear to be to me (even in my boat!) in 2014 due to mud and vegetation, but it was very obviously so in the Brumtug in '87. I was expecting it to be improved if anything, although I was told "they don't really want anyone going down there" by someone last year. Who "they" were wasn't really made clear.:)

That's interesting - so is Bumblehole still navigable? It didn't appear to be to me (even in my boat!) in 2014 due to mud and vegetation, but it was very obviously so in the Brumtug in '87. I was expecting it to be improved if anything, although I was told "they don't really want anyone going down there" by someone last year. Who "they" were wasn't really made clear.:)

We got down to the end in August this year. Wasn't without a struggle though.

Tom

It was removed from the canal and put back on his head for a slightly soggy entry into the basin

Got a tyre round the prop right in the middle of Gosty Hill a couple a year ago.

and if you go to Ma Pardoe's then 4 pints of entire and a cheese cob makes a very nice lunch!

..............Dave

post-9683-0-87424700-1445873047_thumb.jpg

post-9683-0-47974700-1445873238_thumb.jpg

post-9683-0-16366600-1445873273_thumb.jpg

I thought it might be polite to provide feedback after our stay.

No problems whatsoever staying at Bumble Hole, opposite the visitor centre (which closed the moment we arrived and reopened the moment we left). No sign of its recent occupation by unwanted visitors.

Only 2 comments to make:

* The geese do leave an awful lot of partially digested grass about the place

* The Old Swan (Ma Pardoe's) doesn't allow anyone under 16 through the door [that's their prerogative, it's just a shame they have no website that might enlighten you before you visit] - so we had some takeaway beer instead.

Our stay outside the Samson & Lion was also a success, with no problems. It's no gastro pub, but the welcome was friendly; the beer was good; and the bar snacks ridiculously good value - the four of us ate for £10!

Any idea who the helpful chap at the Delph 9 is? He was pleased to see us proceeded to set the locks for us.

Hi

Glad you had a trouble free stay at Windmill End. Canada goose crap is almost universal these days, but they are a particular problem there.

As a 60s something adult with no little ones, I'd forgotten about the " no under 16s " rule, I can only hope the take away ale was as good as it is from the pump...sorry...

There are only 8 locks at Delph, the flight of 9 was rebuilt by 1848, the middle 6 are the newer straight ones. I think John may have been your helper, he's a local with special needs who loves to work with passing craft, he's helped me on several occasions and always asks before lifting paddles. He was thrilled to be taken to the Waterfront moorings from the top lock on Resolute a few years ago as a thank you for his help.

Dave

There are only 8 locks at Delph, the flight of 9 was rebuilt by 1848, the middle 6 are the newer straight ones. I think John may have been your helper, he's a local with special needs who loves to work with passing craft, he's helped me on several occasions and always asks before lifting paddles. He was thrilled to be taken to the Waterfront moorings from the top lock on Resolute a few years ago as a thank you for his help.

Dave

I know there are only 8... ;)

John was very helpful - he didn't go over the top and only set the next lock each time. Those on shore chatted to him.

--R