On the subject of pets

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

Although not a boat owner (yet) we did take our 2 border collies with us on holiday (incidentally the year of foot and mouth) and they were both brilliant on the boat. We made sure when going up and down locks they were safely inside with the doors closed but apart from that they both sat at the front of the boat taking in the views, sights and smells, never once diving in the cut! Only the male would insist on jumping off everythime we pulled in to cock his leg on the nearest bush/tree / gate post. After the second day they even paddled through the disinfectant trays themselves without being told to. We only had one near mishap at the other side of Foulridge when the male decided it was time to jump off the boat - trouble was there was a high wall which he did'nt quite make the top of and he slid very ungracefully down again just as the stern was coming back towards the bank and plopped nicely next to the other halfs feet! I;ve never seen a dog looked suprised before - picture ! :cheers: So yes I agree it depends on the type of dog you get and how you react to it being on the boat. We did'nt make an issue of it and ours were fine but then we're lucky having dogs that are quick learners.

bernie if the dog is not happy on the boat, DONT TAKE IT ON THE BOAT

how can you say you love the beast and then admit to terrifying it by keeping it on the boat.

i would have thought the pacing up and down is akin to the bear on the cruelty adverts rocking back and forth.

So leave him home alone then? He's not terrified, just doesn't like the sound of the engine very much. He is not 'kept' on the boat except when we are actually moving so because of this we only cruise for a couple of hours at a time and if no locks are involved then I stay with him and he's fine. If you read my post fully then you will see that he loves the in between cruising bits. Don't judge me without knowing me and please don't shout.

Take no notice Bernie - it's perfectly clear you adore your dogs (and all the others you've cared for).

About having dogs at the stern, I did worry a lot at the start, as my dog would stare, quivering, at the leaping squirrels in nearby trees. I thought he would forget where he was and jump after them, but he hasn't done so yet, so I don't suppose he'd start now. He has fallen in twice, but from the towpath, not the boat. (Once he leapt joyfully into a solid-looking reed-patch and looked so surprised to find himself swimming! The second time, he met 2 scary dogs and backed away till he ran out of land.)

Two of our 3 cocker spaniels - all rescues - love the boat, and go crazy when they first see it. The other one isn't so confident, but doesn't like any time away from home!! The two lie / sit on the bow whilst the other sleeps inside. They all have to come in for locks and for aquaducts on the Llangollen!!

They are just happy with us, and so would spend any amount of time boating as long as we come too! Our rabbit used to come, but he died recently...

I've lived with a German Shepherd/Collie cross for nearly two years now. I can tell you he loves life on the boat and is a great companion for a solitary cruiser.

There was one night early on in our relationship when I was unplugged from shore power, the batteries had gone flat and I had run out of gas all on a night when my bit of the K&A actually froze over, so I tried to get him to jump into bed with me to keep me warm and comfy (well all right, alive) and found I have set a precedent. Oficially, I'm offended but really it's OK :cheers: . Other favourite places for him tend to be in front of the stove and just underneath the door.

I have a cruiser stern with railings and gates which is an absolutely brilliant design for pets and children - don't know why more boats don't have something similar. I'd keep him down below if I was going through a lock though. Wouldn't want him on the deck if I had a trad, even though I'm sure this would work with some other, smaller dogs. Again, I wouldn't want my dog on the roof either, although again I'm sure there's others for whom this is fine.

Incidentally, I thought long and hard about a turfed roof for my boat Drifter, and decided against it. There's a bloke that owns a boat somewhere around the Thames at Henley that has one, but there's a lot of work involved and lots of people I spoke to said it could cause problems with some boats. If you want a chat about this, feel free to contact me.

Chris.

Here are our two. They luv the boat they have so much more freedom than at home. I have made covers for all our furnishings so when we go home all I have to do is take them off and I am not trying to de fur the sofas for when my in laws have it! we also have our own carpet that lays on top of the original one so we can do the same with that!!! less work.

Mrs Panda

DSCF0025.JPG

We took our dog onboard EA all the time, and she was very happy.

- We dont actaully know what breed she was as she was a rescue dog (found straying on the streets) But she was some sort of mixed cross breed collie/terrier/airedale and very freindly and adaptable. And after the greatdane, we thought she was quite small really.

But yeah, she was fine.

- The boats actaully quite well designed for it really, without it ever being planned that way.

The stern deck is highsided all round (about 28inch high steel wall) and then theres the wheel house to go at too, which at night also doubles as a pritty good kennel! (at home she always slept in an ourside kennel, not the house)

And she would stay/sit etc well, as long as she was allowed to run each day, which was usally done by letting her off at a bridge hole, and getting her back on at the next. Where the towpath was quite this is.

- And the steam engine if of cause very slow/claming and away from the sterndeck and living room anyway. And she kept her paws off the moving parts!!

She did camping/cars well as well.

dscf0029un4.jpg

forest2004057do7.jpg

Daniel

• 1 year later...
While we are on the subject on Pets on Boats, just wondered if anybody has any fab advice for having dogs on boats (other than 'Don't do it!!'), I read in a NB mag once, that the prev month featured a boat (I think) that was partly designed for her 6 (yes 6) Poodles!!!! (god, I hope they were Toys).

If I'm going to do this, I need to do it right, which means its got to be thr right decision for my Mutts too............is it a good life for them? (they have been on NB holidays etc, seem to have their sea legs on)

Any special tips on beds, feeding area etc?

I was considering using AstroTurn on the roof to make it more comfy if they sat up there sometimes..............

Sorry to babble, its got to be one of those things I get right, I decided to have dogs, so now everything I do has to be right for them too.........

AARRGGHHHHHH

If you want to look hard you need one of these;

IMG_0045.jpg

Note bridge 20 in background. Recently demolished by farm tractor.

Dear Nurse Growl,

I have two collies living on my boat with me. They both love it. The older one has been on the boat since she was 9 and is now 17. I firmly believe her longevity is to do with the fantastic lifestyle she has had. Although she gets a bit slow now she still goes out for long walks on the towpath. Both dogs will trot happily along on the towpath when I'm moving and they stand at bridge holes when they have had enough to get back aboard.

Both dogs have had to "learn" about the dangers of falling in. Although both of them love water, neither likes jumping or falling off the boat.

Their favourite activity is standing on the back deck and shouting at other dogs on other back decks as they pass.

Bit reluctant to reply, as every one will know me, by my pets. They actually love water.

I have two Savannah cats (off springs from the serval) they love to lie on the roof in the sun whilste cruising, or take up all the space by the fire when not.

Cant think of any advice really, mine love it afloat, its all they have known. Up to now they are just happy to look out the window, and walk in the countryside with a harneses.

I know (after reading some post) some say you shouldn`t harness a cat, believe me these cats are bigger than dogs, lol.

Do a google before you tell me off :lol: and if you recognise me.....Hi

Edited by Troll

Bit reluctant to reply, as every one will know me, by my pets. They actually love water.

I have two Savannah cats (off springs from the serval) they love to lie on the roof in the sun whilste cruising, or take up all the space by the fire when not.

Cant think of any advice really, mine love it afloat, its all they have known. Up to now they are just happy to look out the window, and walk in the countryside with a harneses.

I know (after reading some post) some say you shouldn`t harness a cat, believe me these cats are bigger than dogs, lol.

Do a google before you tell me off :lol: and if you recognise me.....Hi

They sound great.

Come on then lets see a picture of them.

Nope they are a lot smaller and domesticated

they weigh up to 29lbs, its a relatively new breed, from the Serval cat, theres plenty about them on google.

I am trying to open a photobucket account then I will show you, when I learn how to post a pic, give me some time

Edited by Troll

awwww :lol:

I've always wanted one!!! theyre about as close to the real thing that us mere mortals are allowed.

What generation are yours (F2/3/4)???

Dont agree with showing them though!

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

While we are on the subject on Pets on Boats, just wondered if anybody has any fab advice for having dogs on boats (other than 'Don't do it!!'), I read in a NB mag once, that the prev month featured a boat (I think) that was partly designed for her 6 (yes 6) Poodles!!!! (god, I hope they were Toys).

If I'm going to do this, I need to do it right, which means its got to be thr right decision for my Mutts too............is it a good life for them? (they have been on NB holidays etc, seem to have their sea legs on)

Any special tips on beds, feeding area etc?

I was considering using AstroTurn on the roof to make it more comfy if they sat up there sometimes..............

Sorry to babble, its got to be one of those things I get right, I decided to have dogs, so now everything I do has to be right for them too.........

AARRGGHHHHHH

You should have a chat with the lady who lives on a boat at the end of the Ashby canal she has 3 Alsatians! Lovely well behaved dogs mind you.

I used to have Bull Terriers, sadly they are long gone now but never far from my heart.

Jack loved to have some sort of toy in his mouth all the time, if we gave him a dog toy while on a boat it was not long until he dropped it over the side and lost it.

If we took it from him to keep it safe he cried like a baby!

We soon got it sorted out. When cruising through suburbs and housing estates there are almost always a number of balls floating in the water on the off side where no one on the towpath can reach them,

We soon had ball retrieval down to a fine art, slow the boat right down steering closer to the ball and I would simply scoop it up as we went past. They were often half deflated but it did not matter. They went in the locker, all of them!

Jack would have a ball in his mouth and it would never be long before he managed to drop it over the side and then the pitiful howling and crying would start as he watched his beloved toy go further and further out of his reach.

Meanwhile I would reach in the locker and bring out a replacement. Being a dog of very little brain he was happy again........ until he dropped that one over the side and we had to repeat the whole process.

At one point during a 3 week cruise we had managed to amass a stockpile of around 23 balls! we were never sure if it was because Jack had got better at keeping hold of them or that the local kids seemed to more adept at losing them!

oh and BTW your dog looks so cute catweazle! I love him

I do recall an incident with a friend who had a Bull Terrier, Mungo. This comes to mind in the light of "would I have a particular breed on a boat" - bull terriers dont swim. I know because I have seen this with my own eyes. Mungo was froliking about the swimming pool one sunny afternoon and suddenly dissapeared. Wally went to look for him and there he was, standing on the bottom of the pool, bubbles rising. He just stood there like a fish tank decoration - seems they are too muscle bound for thier legs to keep them afloat - so be warned - bull terriers might not be the best choice on canals - unless dressed in a fetching life jacket.

Hey I dont know if its a record, or even if I should even be mentioning it, but, theres a lovely couple in a marina on the Llangollen canal and they have five, yes five greyhounds onboard, lol Big ones too.

Cats just enjoy the home comforts, I do have a huge area I can let them loose, so they are spoilt really, they are all I have, my kids, better than kids infact they love me and ask for nothing.

These cats are very expensive monetry wise, but I am a strong believer in you get what you pay for, how much would you pay for a child?

They live for upto 20 years so that equates to about £100 a year :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...
Hey I dont know if its a record, or even if I should even be mentioning it, but, theres a lovely couple in a marina on the Llangollen canal and they have five, yes five greyhounds onboard, lol Big ones too.

Cats just enjoy the home comforts, I do have a huge area I can let them loose, so they are spoilt really, they are all I have, my kids, better than kids infact they love me and ask for nothing.

These cats are very expensive monetry wise, but I am a strong believer in you get what you pay for, how much would you pay for a child?

They live for upto 20 years so that equates to about £100 a year :lol::lol: