On the subject of pets

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

While we are on the subject on Pets on Boats, just wondered if anybody has any fab advice for having dogs on boats (other than 'Don't do it!!'), I read in a NB mag once, that the prev month featured a boat (I think) that was partly designed for her 6 (yes 6) Poodles!!!! (god, I hope they were Toys).

If I'm going to do this, I need to do it right, which means its got to be thr right decision for my Mutts too............is it a good life for them? (they have been on NB holidays etc, seem to have their sea legs on)

Any special tips on beds, feeding area etc?

I was considering using AstroTurn on the roof to make it more comfy if they sat up there sometimes..............

Sorry to babble, its got to be one of those things I get right, I decided to have dogs, so now everything I do has to be right for them too.........

AARRGGHHHHHH

another narrowboat in the same marina i am currently in has their back cruiser deck completely covered in fake grass. complete with plants and a dog bowl. dog seems happy enough out there. i think its too big to put up on the roof. (the dog not the grass)

my dog sit up on the roof no problems at all, life jacket on usually just incase he gets brave/more stupid and decides to try and jump off.

my dog is definitely not really a sea dog, hes a bit of a prissy mutt, but since im the boss and what i say goes... hes living on the boat with me without any problems other than hes takinga long time to learn to get down the steep steps inside the back doors. hes nervous of the water, although if i take him on the canoe ( once ive got over the hurdle of actually getting him on it) hes quite happy. in fact he usually falls in by walking too close to the edge and falling in. I have a harness on him and a leash attached to me. ( this was before he had a lifejacket) that way if he falls in hes not going far before he reaches the end of his leash and is hauled back in.

the big boat is adifferent matter. i plan to use some fencing around the back deck area t stop him trying to jump off in locks etc. although the roof is a great place to put him so he cant go anywhere.

his bed is the same one i used in my flat and his bowls are in the kitchen area.. the same as i had in my old flat too. nothing much changed for him except now hes not left at home all day, he gets taken to work with my other half ( i used to live just around the corner from work so could nip home anytime to let the dog out, now im 30 odd miles away)

my parents dogs never minded it. they were never sea sick and seemed to settle in fairly quickly. although they didnt live on the boat they spent lots of time on board. only time the dog ever fell over board was one time a dog was stupid and tried to turn around on the gunwale... and another time misjudged a jump ashore and ended up between the boat and side. ( a dangerous place to be)

they never had life jackets and never had a problem. just make sure you have a good harness on so you can hook them out if they go plop one day.

Edited by honey ryder

I don't think I've ever met a dog that didn't love being on a boat. And it doesn't feel right to be boating without a dog.

When we just used our boat for holidays and evenings and weekends, our first dog got older and sicker all the time we were on land, but while we were afloat it was as if the clock had been turned backwards and she got younger and fitter (until the clockwork ran out when she was 18 which is not a bad age even for a collie/lab cross). It seems to be the same with all the dogs we've had since, although not to the same extent.

During the day we throw a cover over our bed so it doesn't get muddy, and they spend most of the time either on deck or on our bed. They get lots of exercise of course, and at 10 o'clock they insist on being taken for a walk; while I'm walking them Debbie moves the bed cover to the floor of "their" cabin (which is the rear cabin) and they happily curl up together for the night until about 7am when they tap on the door too ask to be let out.

When we're at the house, any mention f the word "boat" has them standing in the hallway eagerly wagging their tails at the front door, so I think we can reckon they like it OK.

'GC' the cat (we cannot call him 'our cat' because he regards us as his servants) is happy on the boat or in the house and spends much of his time sleeping. He is also happy on trains and sleeps except when scampering off to look for the Buffet/Kitchen Car!

The biggest problem is in the car (usually essential for travelling between home, boat and trains) - he just hates riding in the car especially at speeds in excess of 20 mph.

Perhaps he knows something about safety statistics . . .

Hi nursegrowl.

Having any pet on a boat needs consideration and planning. We have a Border Collie named Paddy onboard, he has a dog bed in the galley along with his water etc. When we were first cruising with him, we tried him on the stern but he just kept rushing from side to side to see the views and take in the smells LOL, which was dangerous for him and us. So we then decided to try him on the boat roof, which was not a success. From then on he was kept in the boat and would always go to bed. Paddy has the run of the boat when moored and never gets on the furniture.

On letting your dog on the roof, don't do like a guy did yesterday. He had a German Shepherd on the stern on a lead and a Greyhound on a lead on the roof. He slowed down to place his bow against the lock gate, the boat jolted to a halt and the greyhound slipped off the side of the boat and was left hanging by the collar off the side ot the boat. It took the chap a couple of minutes to rescue his dog, the dog was scrabbling legs flying in all directions trying to get free. If you are going to have your dog on the roof I recommend you put something non slip up there for the dogs safety. I personally don't think the roof is the place for a large dog. I have seen Jack Russell's happily running up and down boat roofs. One in particular had a wire running the length of the boat fixed on the roof bow and stern and the dogs lead attached to that wire, the little dog loved running up and down on this wire. I know it is not summer yet, but also consider the roof gets mega hot when the sun is on it and therefore would not be suitable for your dog to be on.

I suggest speaking to other boat owners with dogs along the towpath or in marina's, see what they do as we are all different and not all ideas are pratical to you.

Good luck.

I have 2 dogs, one absolutely hates the boat when cruising, he is a very sensitive BC and is very restless at the noise of the engine, in fact he walks up and down inside all the time. In his case it would be extremely dangerous to have him on the deck or anywhere else outside when on the move. Once we moor up he loves it and will jump on and off the boat to explore. My other lad just settles on the bed and is quite happy to cruise all day long.

As for dogs on the roof or on the rear deck I am very much against I'm afraid (we have a trad style) since I have seen dogs fall into the canal and remember an occasion when one went under the boat and drowned. Another thing I am against is dogs hanging round locksides with their owners working the locks, again I have seen the results with dire consequences. Perhaps I am being a little overcautious but even the best trained dog can be unpredictable.

Perhaps I am being a little overcautious but even the best trained dog can be unpredictable.

Cats are even more unpredictable and completely independent - we do our best to keep 'GC' inside when cruising and if he does get out, we just have to stop and wait until he is ready to get back on board and go back to sleep . . .

gc060102.jpg

Preparing to 'jump ship'

jane0106.jpg

Apparantly in safe hands - but he got away again!

The times I have taken them onto hire boats and a friends boats, they are not allowed on the roof (although once moored, they did sit upt there with a friend of mine for a while watching the sunset.........) They were also very good about locks etc, as I locked them in the boat, as worried they might jump off as not experienced (them or me)

Nerve racking the first few day, but we didn't have a problem with them at any point. Was so nice, and great towpath walks while my friend cruised alongside me......If I do definatly go ahead, I think they would love it, and I get to spend more time with them in general too

Barney loves it on boats for most of the time. He doesn't like passing fishermen (in case they cast making a shooshing sound) and now he's a wreck for most of the time at Chapel Hill due to the Eurofighters......2 together must be as loud as Concorde. But except for looking nervously at the sky, inbetween, he soon settles when he gets a day without.

This is a favourite spot when the sun shines, and it is quiet.

slea06four.jpg

And this is another.

southwud06five.jpg

i remember years ago lots have people had pet rocks, you could take them anywhere with you and you did not have to clean up any mess they left behind.

as for cats i am sure i heard on the radio about a cat being extremly ill because it came into contact with lillies "plants",did i hear right ?and would having lillies planted in the garden keep cats away or are they that stupid they would still invade and cause themselves to become fatally ill.

i remember years ago lots have people had pet rocks, you could take them anywhere with you and you did not have to clean up any mess they left behind.

as for cats i am sure i heard on the radio about a cat being extremly ill because it came into contact with lillies "plants",did i hear right ?and would having lillies planted in the garden keep cats away or are they that stupid they would still invade and cause themselves to become fatally ill.

I always liked the idea of a pet, but settled for a stuffed cat. when I am retired (oh I wish for the day), I think I shall have a chicken and if that goes well I shall have a goat, and then a dog.

some months ago a stray unwanted half starved mongrel chose our house for his home. Despite being rather nervous he took to the boat instantly, and spent about 8 weeks aboard last summer. We made no special arrangements and he just does his own thing. He considers the roof as his domain.

He also has his favourite chair.

dog.jpg

I used to have Bull Terriers, sadly they are long gone now but never far from my heart.

Jack loved to have some sort of toy in his mouth all the time, if we gave him a dog toy while on a boat it was not long until he dropped it over the side and lost it.

If we took it from him to keep it safe he cried like a baby!

We soon got it sorted out. When cruising through suburbs and housing estates there are almost always a number of balls floating in the water on the off side where no one on the towpath can reach them,

We soon had ball retrieval down to a fine art, slow the boat right down steering closer to the ball and I would simply scoop it up as we went past. They were often half deflated but it did not matter. They went in the locker, all of them!

Jack would have a ball in his mouth and it would never be long before he managed to drop it over the side and then the pitiful howling and crying would start as he watched his beloved toy go further and further out of his reach.

Meanwhile I would reach in the locker and bring out a replacement. Being a dog of very little brain he was happy again........ until he dropped that one over the side and we had to repeat the whole process.

At one point during a 3 week cruise we had managed to amass a stockpile of around 23 balls! we were never sure if it was because Jack had got better at keeping hold of them or that the local kids seemed to more adept at losing them!

oh and BTW your dog looks so cute catweazle! I love him

Edited by cheshire~rose

I am all for waifs and strays.. he looks cute! I suppose most living creatures know to stay clear of me :cheers:

Most of our animals have been vagrants for one reason or another. We have had three excellent mongrel dogs that we re-homed, and numerous cats. Only once have ever paid a tenner for a dog (that was a gesture) never had a true pedigree dog, and probably never will (unless its a rescue or similar). It is often said that people choose dogs that are like themselves.

I used to have Bull Terriers, sadly they are long gone now but never far from my heart.

Jack loved to have some sort of toy in his mouth all the time, if we gave him a dog toy while on a boat it was not long until he dropped it over the side and lost it.

If we took it from him to keep it safe he cried like a baby!

We soon got it sorted out. When cruising through suburbs and housing estates there are almost always a number of balls floating in the water on the off side where no one on the towpath can reach them,

We soon had ball retrieval down to a fine art, slow the boat right down steering closer to the ball and I would simply scoop it up as we went past. They were often half deflated but it did not matter. They went in the locker, all of them!

Jack would have a ball in his mouth and it would never be long before he managed to drop it over the side and then the pitiful howling and crying would start as he watched his beloved toy go further and further out of his reach.

Meanwhile I would reach in the locker and bring out a replacement. Being a dog of very little brain he was happy again........ until he dropped that one over the side and we had to repeat the whole process.

At one point during a 3 week cruise we had managed to amass a stockpile of around 23 balls! we were never sure if it was because Jack had got better at keeping hold of them or that the local kids seemed to more adept at losing them!

oh and BTW your dog looks so cute catweazle! I love him

Hes a good dog. What a difference a few months can make! We suspect he is a Jack Russell crossed with a Staffordshire bull terrier, and possibly any other dog you can think of. He is easily the softest dog I have had, and has got me fit. I have lost nearly a stone in weight through walking him.

It is often said that people choose dogs that are like themselves.

I have heard that, what that says about me loving bull terriers I dont know!

They are complete crackpots in the most soft and loveable way possible!

I have had loads of dogs over the years and almost all of them have been rescue dogs. Even one of our bull terriers! I have also had a cat adopt me as well. A black labrador called Bonnie we rescued just before my family arrived proved to be the best playmate/guardog/companion an child could ever have wanted and my girls were heartbroken when at the ripe old age of 16 she went off her legs. They were aged 15 and 13 and had never known a time without her there!

Jack came later and Jack was different. Jack was bought for me as a present and came into my life as a tiny puppy. He was my best friend. We shared a lot together. He grew to be a 5 stone dog with the mentality of a tiny puppy!

I do not have any animals now. I spend far too much time away from my home for it to be fair on an animal but I do try and borrow other people dogs on occasions if I am allowed!

Just looked at the photo of Barney on Allen's keeping Up last year

drains06one.jpg

And realized they do need a bit of deck space......so either a cruiser stern or 'tug' style....or even a workboat with a boatmans cabin. Or else put rails round the roof and some stairs.

I have heard that, what that says about me loving bull terriers I dont know!

They are complete crackpots in the most soft and loveable way possible!

I have had loads of dogs over the years and almost all of them have been rescue dogs. Even one of our bull terriers! I have also had a cat adopt me as well. A black labrador called Bonnie we rescued just before my family arrived proved to be the best playmate/guardog/companion an child could ever have wanted and my girls were heartbroken when at the ripe old age of 16 she went off her legs. They were aged 15 and 13 and had never known a time without her there!

Jack came later and Jack was different. Jack was bought for me as a present and came into my life as a tiny puppy. He was my best friend. We shared a lot together. He grew to be a 5 stone dog with the mentality of a tiny puppy!

I do not have any animals now. I spend far too much time away from my home for it to be fair on an animal but I do try and borrow other people dogs on occasions if I am allowed!

The "quality" of rescue dogs now available says something about our affluent (effluent?) society, where mongrels were once the dogs that needed re-homing. Just around the corner from us is a Springer Spaniel rescue, who work flat out re-homing expensive pedigree dogs that people no longer want. When we first came across our present mongrel, the dogs homes suggested that it would be better if we kept him, as nobody would "want a mongrel" and he would be destroyed. Needless to say he stayed.

Kenny's 'spot' while cruising.....

4hltta9.jpg

.....and when stationary.....

33xg079.jpg

The only time we have had trouble with him being on a boat was the first time out with him on holiday, we thought we could take him off at a lock and follow the boat down to the next lock where we could get back on. Needless to say it didn't work, he panicked the whole time thinking the boat was leaving us! Now when we go cruising the only way to get him off is to moor up and stop the engine! :cheers:

I have 2 dogs, one absolutely hates the boat when cruising, he is a very sensitive BC and is very restless at the noise of the engine, in fact he walks up and down inside all the time. In his case it would be extremely dangerous to have him on the deck or anywhere else outside when on the move. Once we moor up he loves it and will jump on and off the boat to explore. My other lad just settles on the bed and is quite happy to cruise all day long.

As for dogs on the roof or on the rear deck I am very much against I'm afraid (we have a trad style) since I have seen dogs fall into the canal and remember an occasion when one went under the boat and drowned. Another thing I am against is dogs hanging round locksides with their owners working the locks, again I have seen the results with dire consequences. Perhaps I am being a little overcautious but even the best trained dog can be unpredictable.

bernie if the dog is not happy on the boat, DONT TAKE IT ON THE BOAT

how can you say you love the beast and then admit to terrifying it by keeping it on the boat.

i would have thought the pacing up and down is akin to the bear on the cruelty adverts rocking back and forth.

Yes, I've seen a poster at the vets saying that the pollen from lilies is very toxic to cats. Apparently one died after pollen from cut lilies dropped into its water bowl ... and presumably if they brushed past them in the garden and then licked their fur they wouldn't even be aware of it? But on the other hand, if it was that bad, wouldn't we have heard of more fatalities? Perhaps they are aware of it. The only way I know of to keep cats off your garden is to get a bigger cat of your own!