Gold license prices 2016 ???

John V

Featured Posts

Very good, but then, the vat ( I believe ) doesn't apply to the EA portion.

Keith

It's not that EA are being mean - there's no VAT on their licences - 'cos it's a registration fee (not VATable)

Really?

I've never received it when buying a Gold Licence!

Nor have I - it's just a straight fee - and as a Thames resident pretty poor value when compared with what you canal based boats can get out of it...

It's not that EA are being mean - there's no VAT on their licences - 'cos it's a registration fee (not VATable)

Nor have I - it's just a straight fee - and as a Thames resident pretty poor value when compared with what you canal based boats can get out of it...

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ is why, if you're registered on the Thames the EA portion is something like 95% and the rules are a little different. If you're registered with C&RT their proportion is around 75% and, I can assure you, that is what gets discounted.

Keith

Really?

I've never received it when buying a Gold Licence!

From here.....

Canal & River Trust prompt payment discount is already deducted from the payment in full

and

The prompt payment discount is not available for instalment payments, but is already included in the payment in full.

And what do they do if you try and pay for a full year's Gold licence, but fail to get your payment in before the first of the month?

For an ordinary Canals and Rivers licence that would simply lose you the discount.

If your annual payment for a Gold onearrives late, do they then reject it, and insist you can only pay at the "installment" rate?

And what do they do if you try and pay for a full year's Gold licence, but fail to get your payment in before the first of the month?

For an ordinary Canals and Rivers licence that would simply lose you the discount.

If your annual payment for a Gold onearrives late, do they then reject it, and insist you can only pay at the "installment" rate?

Gold licenses can only run January to January, so I imagine if you paid after the 1st of January for a whole year you'd still get the discount rate, but your license would be for less than 365 days.

MP.

Gold licenses can only run January to January, so I imagine if you paid after the 1st of January for a whole year you'd still get the discount rate, but your license would be for less than 365 days.

MP.

There were several years when I was in T&K that I didn't renew my Gold Licence until February or March as we were trapped in the marina by flood conditions or a big freeze.

I felt no guilt about this because as MP says, my licence was going to be backdated to Jan 1st, anyway. But my point is the cost of the Gold Licence remains the same whether you buy it before or after 1st Jan so the supposed early payment discount on the CRT portion is a fiction.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ is why, if you're registered on the Thames the EA portion is something like 95% and the rules are a little different. If you're registered with C&RT their proportion is around 75% and, I can assure you, that is what gets discounted.

Keith

I don't care which ever way you skin the cat - CaRT registered boaters get use of EA waters for about one month's extra licence fee, I as a poor sod stuck on EA waters have to pay three month's plus extra registration fee to go onto your ditchy bits.

Seems logically unfair..

(SO I buy an Explorer 30 day licence instead - thank you Sally Ash)

There were several years when I was in T&K that I didn't renew my Gold Licence until February or March as we were trapped in the marina by flood conditions or a big freeze.

I felt no guilt about this because as MP says, my licence was going to be backdated to Jan 1st, anyway. But my point is the cost of the Gold Licence remains the same whether you buy it before or after 1st Jan so the supposed early payment discount on the CRT portion is a fiction.

OK, now I see where you're coming from, speaking as one who has either paid by instalments or in full prior to the starting date, whether applying for a standard licence or a Gold licence is similar in as much as it costs more if paying by instalments.

Discount or additional cost? All the same at the end of the day.

One could argue that the ''Prompt payment'' figure, for a standard licence is the actual fee and the additional cost in the higher figure is to penalise you for paying late.

Keith

I don't care which ever way you skin the cat - CaRT registered boaters get use of EA waters for about one month's extra licence fee, I as a poor sod stuck on EA waters have to pay three month's plus extra registration fee to go onto your ditchy bits.

Seems logically unfair..

It was Paul Wagstaffe who invented the explorer licence.

Seems logically unfair..

I'm guessing that you have a narrow boat?

A Gold licence for PETRA is roughly the same as an E.A. licence but about £300 more than a CaRT licence, if you think about how far your Gold licence could take you as opposed to where mine could, who is getting the better deal?

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Just a couple of queries for those who are used to the Gold licencing...

I currently have a CRT Canal and River licence and am considering getting a Gold licence for 2016.

As far as I can see, there is no requirement for a boat with a Gold licence to have a home mooring. Is that correct and if so, I presume it will be licenced as a continuous cruiser as far as CRT are concerned and required to be used bona fide, etc when on CRT water?

Are there any administrative pitfalls/bear traps awaiting me if instead of straightforwardly renewing my CRT licence I want to get a Gold licence instead?

Conveniently, my current CRT licence expires end 12/2015.

Just a couple of queries for those who are used to the Gold licencing...

I currently have a CRT Canal and River licence and am considering getting a Gold licence for 2016.

As far as I can see, there is no requirement for a boat with a Gold licence to have a home mooring. Is that correct and if so, I presume it will be licenced as a continuous cruiser as far as CRT are concerned and required to be used bona fide, etc when on CRT water?

Are there any administrative pitfalls/bear traps awaiting me if instead of straightforwardly renewing my CRT licence I want to get a Gold licence instead?

Conveniently, my current CRT licence expires end 12/2015.

I've had a gold licence since 2012, transferring from a standard BW/C&RT licence.

As far as i can see on the form, you either have to declare your home mooring and waterway, or tick the CC box.

Payment has been by post thus far, but it all seems to work fine.