Paddington Arm - journey time?

labougie

Featured Posts

1 VERY long day. It's not really the distance that is an issue but the fact that 75% of the journey will be spent at tick over. Also 2 tunnels where you might have a short wait if there is traffic coming the other day.

If I were you I'd spread it out into two days and do Limehouse - Kings Cross and then Kings Cross - Yeading.

Edited by junior

It also depends on when you do it - e.g. going through Camden in the middle of the day on sunny weekend (like last weekend & potentially the one coming) can add significant time onto your journey due to amount of traffic, both boat & pedestrian.

To be honest, I wouldn't pitch a tent anywhere until you get well west, in fact, I don't even know where you would.

Are you mooring at willow tree or visiting?

We live on our boat online, just up from Yeading/willow tree.

If you need anything specific give me a shout.

Rob

The boat is a 12' open dinghy - trying to check if trailering the boat to Limehouse to slip it in there, then coming round the Paddington arm to Willow Tree to then retrieve the trailer and slip it back out is a feasible 2-3 day outing. How far west would you say for an overnight tent stop, Wanted? From childhood I seem to remember that Perivale around Horsenden Hill is OK but of course that's almost at Yeading!

The boat is a 12' open dinghy - trying to check if trailering the boat to Limehouse to slip it in there, then coming round the Paddington arm to Willow Tree to then retrieve the trailer and slip it back out is a feasible 2-3 day outing. How far west would you say for an overnight tent stop, Wanted? From childhood I seem to remember that Perivale around Horsenden Hill is OK but of course that's almost at Yeading!

I am coming from Southall to Kensal green today. I'll have a look for suitable tent spots on the way :)

I have done Bulls bridge to Limehouse in a day in a 14ft outboard motor launch :) not too bad really.

I don't think I'd like to kip in a tent in west London really :huh:

Not sure where you are thinking of putting the boat in near Limehouse as there is no slipway there...

12ft is quite big - can it be manhandled? You can park by the cut near Mile End but would need to manhandle the boat into the water.

Not quite sure where the nearest slipway to Limehouse is - unless I have missed one :unsure:

There is a website about it somewhere

PS I think Springfield marina -might- be the nearest slipway and that adds a bit of time although you could cut across the Ducketts cut / Hertford union so probably not a lot of extra time.

Plenty of tower cranes about but I don't think their insurance would be too happy about lifting a dinghy into the cut :lol:

Magnetman - You're right about no slip at Limehouse - I mis-read the entry on the Boat Launch website and the boat isn't manhandleable. It would seem that our only option would be to slip in at Yeading on day one, come down to Southall and take a look at the Union for a while then head back up the Paddington arm, camp overnight around Perivale (Horsenden Hill looks fairly likely) then make an early start on day 2 to try and get to the Islington tunnel before turning round to make it back to Yeading by 4.00 in time to slip back out. Well, that's Plan B ATM. This would be midweek so we shouldn't meet too much traffic.

I'd be very grateful if you could keep an eye open for a likely overnight pitch around there and let me know.

Just noticed you've posted again while I was writing this - I'll check Springfield Marina and come back.

Many thanks.

Anyone give me an idea how long it would take to get from Limehouse Dock to Yeading? Thanks in advance.

Took me 11 1/2 hours Yeading ( i.e. The park near Willowtree marina) to Stonebridge Lock on a Monday last week. 1 1/2 hours ar Camden alone, bloody nightmare, tripboats, total clueless novices, broken paddles. The volunteer there was a saint!

Edited by Lady Muck

A dinghy (assuming motor driven) will get through quite a bit quicker as you don't have to slow down and you can share locks with a lot of different boats (or not if you don't fancy it :lol: ) higher average speed means quicker journey time :)

People will hear the motor get ready to shout slow down then they go quiet when they see the boat ;)

In all my years of visiting central London, I've somehow never been onto its canal towpath, though often nearby. Maybe I should turn up at Camden one day and see the legendary chaos for myself. But I'd imagine that if there is a place between Kensal Green and Limehouse where it's plausible to pitch a tent overnight (soft ground, tolerance from boaters/residents/other people, not getting moved on by the police or CRT), someone's probably already living there.

If you do follow plan A, have you allowed enough time to get your trailer from Limehouse to Yeading? You could spend a lot of time sitting in traffic.

Notwithstanding the above difficulties, I admire your spirit of adventure, please let us know how you get on. Sounds as if it could be the fastest trip through there since Dave the Barman did it in Minder.

Anyone give me an idea how long it would take to get from Limehouse Dock to Yeading? Thanks in advance.

Having just reviewed my photos from the length between Limehouse and Little Venice I'd say that you would be very lucky indeed to find a pitch - pretty much the only open space is Victoria Park and I doubt that you get any peace there. Further out you may find something but it depends on what limits you are prepared to push in the process. Some of the VM's have fairly wide grassy towpath-side sections and I have seen some spaces used on the non towpath side further out eg Ballot Box.

I have just been Southall to kensal green today.

If you are in a dinghy you can tuck in almost anywhere offside but there are a fair few people living in random places so pitching a tent could be a bit awkward. I don't know if they are all that friendly !!

Bromley by Bow near Tesco (Limehouse cut/Lee navigation) might be ok as there is a bit of grass there. Mile end park is another option but being central town it has the potential for aggregation obviously .

I would not really recommend putting a tent up anywhere on that trip to be honest as its all a bit risky IMO

Maybe you could get away with a quiet corner of Kensal Green cemetery or the central part of the north circular aqueduct (traffic noise)

Labougie

Your avatar shows a very nice little boat :)

Just wondering if you are happy to take her on very rough water? If so then you might consider slipping the boat in somewhere like teddington or Richmond, running down to Limehouse on the wonderful River then back through London on the canal. You would still need to sort accommodation or put up a tent in east London (Bromley by bow maybe?) But it would make the trip more interesting.

Or even better do it the other way round. Slip in at willowtree as suggested, boat to Limehouse and time it all around an early tide to take you back up to Richmond. Going through the pool of London at 6.30am is one of the best things I have done on a boat !

It is VERY rough in central London in normal trading hours on the Thames (according to my 58x12ft English barge) but also very satisfying. Do check with Limehouse if you opt for this route as they may have locking restrictions in place.

It all depends on the suitability of the boat, your experience and attitude to danger I suppose but it could in theory be a very good adventure.

Obviously it depends on lock availability at Limehouse and tide times. In my experience the River starts to get rough after about 8am so a 6am exit from Limehouse is ideal - you will have the River to yourself at least as far as Westminster :wub:

Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

I think your plan B might be a good option.

Magnet man, you probably passed us today, would have stuck kettle on if id known!

Yes I did but wasn't sure where you are - Highline ? Edited by magnetman