New style of (sinking) pipe fenders-big problem in the making

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

"The best advice is that which is considered, sensibly discussed, stands up to scrutiny and prepared to be challenged"

Rudely rubbish?

If you are not familiar with the use of rubbish as a verb I suggest you look it up.

if you had your mind as open as your mouth you would realise this thread is about the effect of your fenders on other people's boating.

Inconsiderate as well as ignorant.

I understand that my boat is going to get "added character" ie scratches & dints when I use it, but I still have a great deal of sympathy with the OP. Anytime I acquire anything shiny & new I am extremely protective of it and keep it under my pillow until the newness has worn off. Good luck, I say, keep it looking beautiful as long as you can, lifting your dangly bits for Llangollen of course.

An old boater once told me "Your boat should be a palace above the gunnel and a skip below".

Just after you've had your boat blacked, isn't it a relief when you get that first scratch on the guards and can stop worrying about it?

An old boater once told me "Your boat should be a palace above the gunnel and a skip below".

Just after you've had your boat blacked, isn't it a relief when you get that first scratch on the guards and can stop worrying about it?

Very true.

Two months ago - blacked, tunnel bands done, out of marina, resisted temptation to hang fenders, straight into Widewater lock - exit 10 mins later with first battle scar. Three locks later back on mooring with a couple more.

If you are really fussy you could scrub the blacking where it get stained by "tidemark" and carry a spare pot of blacking to touch up the scratches. Whilst we are on this subject, start looking at boats which paint the bit with paint below the gunnel (gunwale) and find one that's not scratched. I don't get it painting that bit that is.

20150717_183317_zpsdktdqojg.jpg

NB it's generally galvanic corrosion (below waterline) you should be wary of. Best put effort into mitigation of that than above w/l.

Edited by mark99

If you are not familiar with the use of rubbish as a verb I suggest you look it up.

if you had your mind as open as your mouth you would realise this thread is about the effect of your fenders on other people's boating.

Inconsiderate as well as ignorant.

Chill a bit and consider other views.

Edited by GoodGurl
removed phrase

Well your posts certainly seem very combative and unwilling to consider other views.

and you were rather rude to him FFS!

is this why you've been so arsehatty lately - you broke your boat cos you were too dumb to find a bit of rope with a fender attached wrapped round your prop?

• Greenie 4

and you were rather rude to him FFS!

is this why you've been so arsehatty lately - you broke your boat cos you were too dumb to find a bit of rope with a fender attached wrapped round your prop?

And you consider this not equally rude?

Get a grip.

Ok well I'm glad I posted now... Women apparently can't have an opinion that's not accompanied by their period, and not being able to clear a blade of a problem we couldn't even find makes us dumb.

Nevermind eh, I'll keep quiet next time unless OMG I'M MENSTRUATING, HAVE ALL OF THE FIGHTS, obvs.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

In the continuing debate about the merits of the weed hatch versus the expertly wielded cabin shaft, there is a third option. I was chatting with a recently retired working boater the other day whose practice was to rig a line between the stern dollies of his large Woolwich and use this to suspend himself alongside the counter. Once he had got his ear flat on the water he was able to reach the propeller shaft and attack any rubbish that had failed to succumb to his cabin shaft.

Edited by colinwilks

In the continuing debate about the merits of the weed hatch versus the expertly wielded cabin shaft, there is a third option. I was chatting with a recently retired working boater the other day whose practice was to rig a line between the stern dollies of his large Woolwich and use this to suspend himself alongside the counter. Once he had got his ear flat on the water he was able to reach the propeller shaft and attack any rubbish that had failed to succumb to his cabin shaft.

What could possibly go wrong?! help.gif

sounds a good idea. I shall suggest to my wife, at the right time of the month obviously, that she clears our prop this way next time it's required...