what does this light mean?

KarlosMacronius

Featured Posts

In view of both the fact it looks squeezed in, and also the fact it isn't labelled, I'd say it is almost certainly soebody's modification to the original panel.

If switching it doesn't do something obvious, I would look where the wires go. I'd not be surprised to find those wires are taped to or zip-tied to the original loom, and their purpose fairly obvious.

I have a Lockgate diesel stove and this has a diesel pump in the supply line (although it works fine whether switched on or off), if you have one this might be a switch for the pump. Mine is between the tunnel light and the bilge switches.

Frank.

the mystery switch gets more mysterious the more I flick it. If I flick it whilst the engine is off then nothing happens no elecy is used (i have a power monitor) but when the engines running and i flick it the voltage on the display pictured drops by about 2 volts...though not on the power monitor....oh well I'll just ignore it until it becomes impossible to ignore.

the mystery switch gets more mysterious the more I flick it. If I flick it whilst the engine is off then nothing happens no elecy is used (i have a power monitor) but when the engines running and i flick it the voltage on the display pictured drops by about 2 volts...though not on the power monitor....oh well I'll just ignore it until it becomes impossible to ignore.

Defensive EMP burst? - Did all other boats and machinery around you stop working when you flicked the switch? huh.png

LCx

Edited by Lady Cassandra

Ah, my Mitsubishi Delica had a cloaking device. Despite the damn thing being so big (oversized chunky off-road tyres and a huge body lift) people still couldn't see it. I looked high and low for the switch and / or fuse: couldn't find it...

Oh! I can vouch for that! I had a Deli in Aus. Was sitting in a line of traffic waiting to merge one day and some young lady in a sporty Mazda rammed the back of me. Her first comment was "I didn't see you!". Not sure if she thought that was my fault or not. Edited by steve7a3

What size backlights would pull the voltage down 2 volts, for Pete's sake?

The one that put a load on the supply to the volt meter, ie, thin wire from battery to volt meter, at the back of the volt meter the switch conects the supply to a load and drops the voltage on the supply line to the volt meter.

What size backlights would pull the voltage down 2 volts, for Pete's sake?

Its an outside chance but I don't think it's impossible that a backlight which was wired to a voltmeter which was a considerable distance from the batteries could affect that volt meter when turned on. Bad connections etc.

And this from the OP ;)

...i flick it the voltage on the display pictured drops by about 2 volts...though not on the power monitor....

(Cross posted with Ditchcrawler who made a similar point)

Oh! I can vouch for that! I had a Deli in Aus. Was sitting in a line of traffic waiting to merge one day and some young lady in a sporty Mazda rammed the back of me. Her first comment was "I didn't see you!". Not sure if she thought that was my fault or not.

Puts me in mind of the farmer in his 60ft long, 18ft high and 13ft wide combine harvester commenting on the ridiculous the law that requires him to have a flashing yellow light on it when he drives it on a public road.

Apparently the light is required in case people don't notice him there...

Puts me in mind of the farmer in his 60ft long, 18ft high and 13ft wide combine harvester commenting on the ridiculous the law that requires him to have a flashing yellow light on it when he drives it on a public road.

Apparently the light is required in case people don't notice him there...

That is a very interesting one but leads to a digression on my part. in the 70s I worked for Birds Eye Foods and farmers use to grow peas and beans under contract. Birds Eye owned the machines to harvest these as well as a fleet of trailers, I am not suer about the tractors now. Anyway these things would move in convoy down the roads and lanes often at night, harvest was a 24 hr operation once it started. Birds Eye in their wisdom thought that these convoys posed bit of a risk so fitted the harvesters with flashing orange beacons. Along comes the old bill and says, "you cant switch those on while on a public highway, the road traffic act doesn't cover them" So they were just used as a signal that the harvester drum was full to a tractor and trailer could chug across the field to empty it. Today take a tractor and trailer on the road without one and old Bill will be after you. How things change.