Loughborough Basin

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Ally is your girl for this. If she doesn't see the thread it might be worth a PM unless somebody else comes in with good local knowledge.

We've stayed in the Travelodge that overlooks the basin three times. Not an expert but I haven't seen any sign of trouble. It looks like not such a bad spot

Hello.

Thinking of dropping down into the above.

Looking on google maps its deserted. Is it a place to go to or avoid?

Any thoughts. We need to be near a rail station for a brief trip back to Leicester to collect some specs.

Only a few spaces in the basin itself. It is close also to student accommodation and two supermarkets nearby. It is a good overnight mooring but you do need to be lucky to get a space at the end of the day. There is quite a bit of good mooring just upstream of the Junction.

It's ok, bit enclosed and overshadowed by a hotel and student accommodation, but it's also only 24 hour moorings there. You would be better mooring on the section approaching the junction, assuming you are coming from Leicester direction. Never had any problems there. Don't stop outside the Boat pub, carry on to the wider grassed area to moor. You are then near aldi, b&q, and nearer the railway too. There is a cut through to Belton road, opposite b&q, anywhere after that to the junction is good to moor.

Yep! We are now moored between the Boat pub and the junction. Quite bust. Seven boats here.

We walked to the basin and only one boat there. The idea is good, but the actual basin moorings are poor. I see the water tap is behind fencing and you have to tie up adjacent to two protruding ladders.

Good choice to moor where we are.

Good to chat to Ally. Mister B is along the moorings from us. The owner is/was a member here.

I've always assumed that the basin was designed by someone who had never seen a boat let alone a narrow boat.

It's difficult to wind, the pontoons are too short and access to the services is poor. Considering they started with a blank sheet I'm sure anybody could have done better.

I've always assumed that the basin was designed by someone who had never seen a boat let alone a narrow boat.

It's difficult to wind, the pontoons are too short and access to the services is poor. Considering they started with a blank sheet I'm sure anybody could have done better.

To be honest, the basin was almost lost altogether along with that section of arm.

What is left is all that could be fitted in with plans for the town.

Yes, it's not good, but at least it exists.

It doesn't make it easier when plastics moor to the wall nearest the restaurant which reduces the turning circle to less than 72 feet.......have seen them squirm.captain.gif

To be honest, the basin was almost lost altogether along with that section of arm.

What is left is all that could be fitted in with plans for the town.

Yes, it's not good, but at least it exists.

Agreed.

Its not a bad mooring at all, having lived the for four years of my degree, its not a bad town either. The Swan in the Rushes is walking distance and a good pub.

Daniel