Welcome to moor alongside

Theo

Featured Posts

I hunted and hunted for a sign to print out but there was none.

I have done my own design (see post #13 for link which works) which anyone is welcome to use. The link should download a pdf to print out

I bet someone will now send a link which I did not find.

Nick

Edited by Theo
Update links

Done, many thanks.

P.S. I have laminated them.

I am pleased that they are already in use! I tried to print them out in the library in Daventry but failed because the computers have IE8 installed and DropBox doesn't work on that.

N

I like Theo's signs.

But if anyone wants the original version and the accompanying EA leaflet first produced for the IWA Festival at St Ives on the River Great Ouse in 2007, then they are here:

welcometomoor.PDF

welcometomoorleaflet.PDF

Oh for the days when the EA actually did something useful for boaters!

I've still got mine but they're too big to fit the portholes and they only stick on the inside of the glass.

We have always been happy to have people moored alongside, until this year at the Norbury Festival, when some people we know abused the priviledge by partying very noisily well after we had gone to bed. They even invited someone back from the pub one evening, again after we had gone to bed, and later noisily said their goodbyes as he exited across our stern. Never again!

When I used to commute on trains I discovered, quite by accident, that a good way to get a seat to yourself was to smile broadly at everyone who got on. This obviously triggered some "oh lord, a nutter!" switch and they usually sat somewhere else*. Probably next to someone staring out of the window and not making eye-contact.

I wonder if having a big, jolly "hey moor next to us!" sign is a boating equivalent?

"If we moor there, they'll probably want to talk to us..." [engine revs]

*unless they were a nutter, in which case the method proved counter-productive.

When I used to commute on trains I discovered, quite by accident, that a good way to get a seat to yourself was to smile broadly at everyone who got on.

It helps if you also have an open half-full bottle of cider, an unsteady gait, slurred speech and that haven't-washed-for-a-month smell.

But that doesn't go down so well in the office! smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Here you are. I have been practising with Xara Designer Pro 11. I though that I could do better than that. The links above won't work because I have reorganised my Dropbox folder. This will work because I have uploaded them to the site. The second uses improved rope and a Leicester Arm bollard.

Welcome to moor 2.pdf

Welcome to moor 4.pdf