Tethering on Three

Featured Posts

So....... Can you use this tethering system when you go abroad and not end up with a bill for £1000s when you come back off your hols?

Some countries you can use it (look up threes "feel at home", in quite a few countries there is no roaming charges, you still get unlimited data BUT you get limited tethering (I seem to remember that it's around the 2gb mark)

Interesting - it didn't work for me.

I believe I have used it in Spain and Sweden where the hotel was charging for WiFi and I used my work laptop tethered to get email. I don't think I have tried tethering in the US, as everywhere there has free WiFi anyway.

So it may depend on the county, and the actual carrier it is using as to if they actually block it.

Edited by john6767

The current equivalent is about £20 a month, with unlimited data, but a 4gb cap on tethering. I was told I was moved onto the new tariff (although still at the old price) with a 4gb tethering limit in Feb, but so far my tethering hasn't been restricted in any way.

At the time I asked how much tethered data I was using and was told that they couldn't tell. Not sure if that's still the case.

I've just signed up for that. Phone reception non-existent! :angry: the plan was to phase out using my Three 10Gb per month for £15 for my miFi and replace it with this so it covers my phone usage too. But the reception here is poo - no phone or Internet on the new SIM. It's also bad in town (4g fine but bizarrely only one bar phone signal)

My three miFi signal works only with its aerial plugged in. Although that's been much less reliable this last month too for some reason. Maybe because trees are in full leaf now? Who knows. I do live with a hill to one side of my boat and some surrounding trees.

Anyway I've ordered an extension lead which should allow me to connect my phone to the aerial I currently use for the miFi unit. If that doesn't work I'll have to change networks again. *sigh*

Vodafone was my previous network and was very intermittent. I have an EE phone which has low reception but fairly constant. The only real alternative left I think will be O2. Monkey's O2 phone works reasonably well here although his 3G can be slow. Alas O2 don't do as good data packages as Three. But what use is a good value data package that can't connect at home?! :wacko:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

• 1 month later...

Maybe I am looking in wrong place but on the 3 site it is offering AYCE data AYCE texts and 200 minutes calls for £17. This includes 12gb tethering. At least I think it is tethering as they call it personal hotspot at the bottom of the page on the link,

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

It says all the AYCE data plans get 12gb for personal hotspot. If you needs more calls it is not much more per month.

Maybe I am looking in wrong place but on the 3 site it is offering AYCE data AYCE texts and 200 minutes calls for £17. This includes 12gb tethering. At least I think it is tethering as they call it personal hotspot at the bottom of the page on the link,

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

It says all the AYCE data plans get 12gb for personal hotspot. If you needs more calls it is not much more per month.

That plan offers only 4gb tethering

On our All-you-can-eat data plans, you can use a portion of your data each month to create a Personal Hotspot within the UK. How much depends on your plan: if you're on a SIM Only plan with All-you-can-eat data, you can use up to 8GB as a Personal Hotspot (unless you're on our SIM Only plan with All-you-can-eat data and 200 minutes, in which case you'll be able to use up to 4GB).

You can add extra tethering data at a cost of £5 per GB :-

Add-on name - 1GB Personal Hotspot

Data units allowance - 1,024 data units

When is this Add-on available?- If your plan comes with All-you-can-eat data and you’ve used up the 4GB or 8GB personal hotspot allowance – this depends on your contract start date and which plan you’re on (see page 24)

Can this Add-on allowance be used as a personal hotspot allowance? - Yes

Monthly price (rolling) - £5

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Anybody who ask for mobile Internet advice on here must surely go away more confused than before they asked?

That is because there are so many confusing offerings, where what is offered is unclear, as are the limits, and the terms.

"Confusion pricing" might actually be a business model, and seems to be prevalent in utilities and telecommunications, including TV.

Anybody who ask for mobile Internet advice on here must surely go away more confused than before they asked

I can sort of see why you think that, but the problem is there are so many deals, and variations of same. Tis a minefield.

Edit: Richard beat me to it :)

That is because there are so many confusing offerings, where what is offered is unclear, as are the limits, and the terms.

"Confusion pricing" might actually be a business model, and seems to be prevalent in utilities and telecommunications, including TV.

I have become convinced that this is the case.

Edited by Guest

One way of getting round tethering if you have a smartTV is to mirror the phone screen on your TV. Set up your phone to watch the TV programme and the smart TV mirrors it without using tethering data.

Works a treat. I use my phone in this way with a 3 quid MHL lead to use bbc iplayer and such. No tethering involved... and it keeps your phone charged.

Sorry for being thick, but if I understand correctly, what you are saying is that you can watch a TV programme via your smart phone in this way, without incurring tethering penalties? do I understand correctly?

Cheers.

Sorry for being thick, but if I understand correctly, what you are saying is that you can watch a TV programme via your smart phone in this way, without incurring tethering penalties? do I understand correctly?

Cheers.

Exactly that. Effectively, you're watching iplayer (or YouTube, or whatever) on your phone using your data allowance and what's on the phone screen is 'mirrored' on your TV screen. This isn't seen as tethering.

Exactly that. Effectively, you're watching iplayer (or YouTube, or whatever) on your phone using your data allowance and what's on the phone screen is 'mirrored' on your TV screen. This isn't seen as tethering.

Very useful for me, didn't know that, cheers :)

And if that's what you're seeking to do, you may also be interested in the "Tv Catch Up" app which, despite the name, will allow you to watch live TV in in this way. Useful where you have a data signal but can't get a TV signal on a TV aerial.

And if that's what you're seeking to do, you may also be interested in the "Tv Catch Up" app which, despite the name, will allow you to watch live TV in in this way. Useful where you have a data signal but can't get a TV signal on a TV aerial.

Again very useful. Much obliged :)