BBC weather forecasts

Woodsy

Featured Posts

It would appear that the UK Met office has lost its contract to provide weather forecasting services to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34031785

For those who would like to see this service retained by the Met office there is a change.org petition urging the BBC to reconsider this decision.

http://email.change.org/mpss/c/zwA/SCE/t.1pu/PJvUO91pS0e4N1CXnAgzzQ/h5/W9oZwjoGX5ulRlet7FB-2BvOcGMngX71Id66Qt5N2e4SUqLGYnnxdkhC3fVDeyYKVvqctQSUt56MFEYfkeKR0xZ7RyOKol4X26zmlKQtZx5S6lDmqc1-2F2oH5bSwDxprtuC7SGSvA4HWbi-2BFhZLP9GqM35917G9jTempiwSbskwkBv-2Ffo8MW8SD8l25wllSZ5pYlmdzS8E1g7vLl48ogqs2qrSLyC08gC-2FQAS8DwfCT09QQ82aCjpAcslASYj99IhpqWWFsqyEqureYXHxGOwuVJA-3D-3D

It would appear that the UK Met office has lost its contract to provide weather forecasting services to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34031785

For those who would like to see this service retained by the Met office there is a change.org petition urging the BBC to reconsider this decision.

http://email.change.org/mpss/c/zwA/SCE/t.1pu/PJvUO91pS0e4N1CXnAgzzQ/h5/W9oZwjoGX5ulRlet7FB-2BvOcGMngX71Id66Qt5N2e4SUqLGYnnxdkhC3fVDeyYKVvqctQSUt56MFEYfkeKR0xZ7RyOKol4X26zmlKQtZx5S6lDmqc1-2F2oH5bSwDxprtuC7SGSvA4HWbi-2BFhZLP9GqM35917G9jTempiwSbskwkBv-2Ffo8MW8SD8l25wllSZ5pYlmdzS8E1g7vLl48ogqs2qrSLyC08gC-2FQAS8DwfCT09QQ82aCjpAcslASYj99IhpqWWFsqyEqureYXHxGOwuVJA-3D-3D

Only sign this if you want more "barbecue summers", "hottest days EVAH", and non-existent hurricanes!

despite having mega computers monitoring the weather all over the globe, and using it to predict our weather, I haven't noticed much improvements since the days of Michael Fish and the surprise hurricane.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing the Met Office losing their contract if it makes them sharpen up a bit, and occasionally look out of the window to see what is actually happening out there.

I would prefer to ask a farmer or a fisherman what the local weather will be like over the next 24 hours.

I think the met office forecast is pretty good for today and tomorrow, and would prefer the BBC to keep it.

I hope the met office keeps their app supported, it's not the fastest to load, or friendliest to use, but I do look 2 or 3 times on most days. In fact I use that much more than the BBC weather.

I'd like to know what proportion of Met Office income is derived from the BBC contract before expressing any opinion. I know they do a great deal else besides the TV and radio weather forecasts.

Reputedly it's around £30 million a year...

One of the things that the Met Office and BBC have had friction over in the past has been the Met Office taking issue with the BBC "dumbing down" their weather output. With that in the backdrop and the possibility that other nations national forecasters may be in with a shout, it would seem unlikely that the Met Office's loss isn't also going to be ours.

I'm struggling to understand how anyone else can produce a weather forecast any cheaper than the MET Office considering that office's resources

They're spending £97 million on a new computer this year.

The cynics among us might suggest that this would be just as good:-

WeatherForecastingStone_zpse978b0e6.jpg

• Greenie 1

And that's a bad thing? They are quite a large and respected organisation, their business is hugely data intensive and their output relies on the product of a great deal of process-intensive computer modeling - I can't really see that investing in computing is anything but essential to their business.

Isn't this just the case that EU rules state that for all businesses contracts over a certain value have to go out to tender, the MET Office must not have come back with the cheapest, so correct that they don't get the contract.

Isn't this just the case that EU rules state that for all businesses contracts over a certain value have to go out to tender, the MET Office must not have come back with the cheapest, so correct that they don't get the contract.

Do you have a link to that rule? The Met Office say they had not even got to the stage of giving a price. They were knocked out in the first round that was based on service

Do you have a link to that rule? The Met Office say they had not even got to the stage of giving a price. They were knocked out in the first round that was based on service

Here is some stuff, on phone so not so easy,

http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/public-tenders/rules-procedures/index_en.htm

Perhaps it is not all businesses, my wife who works for a utility therefore ex public ownership has to do this though, so i would think the BBC would.

It's about time that the BBC started taking a look at its costs. More of this please, together with a downward wage review for this bloated organisation. While we're on the case, let's quickly end debtors prisons for those who fail to pay for their licence. Let's move on from the 19th century please.

Here is some stuff, on phone so not so easy,

http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/public-tenders/rules-procedures/index_en.htm

Perhaps it is not all businesses, my wife who works for a utility therefore ex public ownership has to do this though, so i would think the BBC would.

That is only for Public Authorities and the BBC is not a Public Authority. It is set up under a Royal Charter

The cynics among us might suggest that this would be just as good:-WeatherForecastingStone_zpse978b0e6.jpg

. Believe it or not I have a small slither of willow known as a weather stick, it's screwed to the wall outside and when there is rain on its way it droops downward, but when good weather is on its way it becomes erect, not only is it always right but it gets quite a giggle as well

That is only for Public Authorities and the BBC is not a Public Authority. It is set up under a Royal Charter

Right, but as I said in my post the rules apply wider, and even in to what are technically a plc, that may not be the appropriate page for then though.

Right, but as I said in my post the rules apply wider, and even in to what are technically a plc, that may not be the appropriate page for then though.

I do think BBC should go out to tender as should most sensible large organisations but it is not EU Law. The link you supplied makes perfect sense that Public Authorities who are spending our money should go out to tender.

The BBC are covered by the EU procurement Directives - see for example here. The Directives cover organisations that provide certain goods and services - their ownership (eg public or private sector, or indeed voluntary) is not relevant. [Hence the regulated gas and electricity companies are covered, as noted above.]

I've found this site very useful for keeping an eye on the weather over the last few months, and also this one which gives wave heights at Hunstanton. I hope nobody is crossing the Wash today.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I'd like to know what proportion of Met Office income is derived from the BBC contract before expressing any opinion. I know they do a great deal else besides the TV and radio weather forecasts.

Reputedly it's around £30 million a year...

Thanks for that, but what is the Met Office's turnover? I was interested in what proportion of its income had gone.

The BBC are covered by the EU procurement Directives - see for example here. The Directives cover organisations that provide certain goods and services - their ownership (eg public or private sector, or indeed voluntary) is not relevant. [Hence the regulated gas and electricity companies are covered, as noted above.]

I've found this site very useful for keeping an eye on the weather over the last few months, and also this one which gives wave heights at Hunstanton. I hope nobody is crossing the Wash today.

I use xcweather quite often but I find it a bit optimistic compared with http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/ -- which I presume is unaffected by the BBC contract.

On the finances, the Times' article yesterday said:

"The BBC’s contract with the Met Office is reportedly worth around £3 million, about a tenth of the £32.5 million the Met Office receives from commercial bodies and around 1.4 per cent of their revenues of £220.8 million last year."

So this is not a big deal financially for the Met Office.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy