I am beginning to be concerned

DeanS

Featured Posts

a response...

Dear ********

Thank you for your prompt response.

If your craft has moved on now then I will close our sighting as no further action, that’s not a problem. The sightings will show that you have moved on during our next boat check.

Basically our new process picks up any boats that have been sighted in the same spot more than once in a period over 14 days. However if you have moved in between this and gone back which is what sounds like the situation was here, then you just need to let us know and we can close our case as no further action.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me

Kind regards

I did, it says:

CANALWORLD DISCUSSION FORUM!!

You should read the 'important words' printed in big letters across the top of the page you've highlighted the quote from.

Is that a bit easier for you to understand?

a response...

Dear ********

If your craft has moved on now then I will close our sighting as no further action, that’s not a problem. The sightings will show that you have moved on during our next boat check.

Basically our new process picks up any boats that have been sighted in the same spot more than once in a period over 14 days. However if you have moved in between this and gone back which is what sounds like the situation was here, then you just need to let us know and we can close our case as no further action.

Kind regards

Easy, innit!

That's exactly what we thought was the case from your posts, and you didn't need to sue anybody after all.

Enjoy your trip to Mouseville.

You should read the 'important words' printed in big letters across the top of the page you've highlighted the quote from.

Is that a bit easier for you to understand?

I quoted what Dean had written.

And I shall repeat myself, there is a big difference between MAY and IS.

Now change your very boring record Tony.

"Basically our new process picks up any boats that have been sighted in the same spot more than once in a period over 14 days."

So in theory if your boat is sighted in the same place on two consecutive days they feel it necessary to serve a notice. Or do they mean, same spot exceeding 14 days? Maybe the enforcement officer misunderstood the wording...

a response...

Dear ********

Kind regards

So now they're saying they won't take any action against you this time because you've moved your boat from where you were quite entitled to be.

I wonder how long before the next ' how dare you use your boat on our canal' letter arrives?

I wonder how much time was taken and by how many people to generate this notice and run what clearly seems to be a not fit for purpose 'boat sighting' system.

It is set to get very silly if people have to keep dealing with'

1 - we don't think you are moving enough.

2 - Actually these are my movements.

3 - Ah right OK no problem.

.... and then next week it repeats.

I wonder how much time was taken and by how many people to generate this notice and run what clearly seems to be a not fit for purpose 'boat sighting' system.

Yes but it is working as a fear tactic...as mentioned by Gazza it's created a long thread and got my mouth foaming...

a response...

Dear ********

Kind regards

Blimey Dean, how on earth are you going to deal with that??!!

But seriously, glad it seems to be resolved, until next time. In which case I expect the same process will be necessary.

Martin I am trying to stay out of this thread as most seem quite happy to receive emails when they have done nothing wrong, but you are quite correct in what you say.

What a shame that some of us care about what is happening to boaters

Lighten up!!!!

Paul C, where is the tounge in cheek smiley? been waiting years for one :)

Yes but it is working as a fear tactic...as mentioned by Gazza it's created a long thread and got my mouth foaming...

Mine normally foams at the thought of cider, or cake, no preference on order

I wouldn't say it's set to get very silly . . . . . it's got there already, and not just silly, but potentially rather more serious than that. The implications of such letters will cause a great deal of anxiety for many of the recipients

Lighten up!!!!

Paul C, where is the tounge in cheek smiley? been waiting years for one :)

I just find it difficult to lighten up on something I think is very serious sorry about that. I consider myself one of the luckiest people to have discovered this fantastic way of life and now I am expected to sit back and watch Richard Parry and CRT take it away from me. Sorry nope it is to important

Seems to me like a good outcome for DeanS. Although the response doesn't acknowledge his home mooring situation which may have provided a little more peace of mind.

It all reminds me of the two years I spent in a rented cottage. I didn't bother with a television as most evenings I was out and about. Each month I received a letter from the Television Licensing people which I ignored. They eventually threatened me with court action. My response was to draw the outline of my two fingered victory salute on their letter with the words NO TV and send it back - I never heard from them again, but in reality I could have saved the nation all that postage and letter writing by politely responding to their first reminder.

edited speeling mistake

Edited by Midnight

I didnt say it was not important......

Bassplayer took it in the spirit it was meant cheers.gif

Nice to see rational discusion was all that was needed, rather than the reactionary she's a Witch/he said Jehova style mob mentality advocated by some.

Edited by gazza

I didnt say it was not important......

Bassplayer took it in the spirit it was meant :cheers:

Nice to see rational discusion was all that was needed, rather than the reactionary she's a whitch/he said jehova style mob mentality advocated by some.

I simply advocate the right of a boater with a Home Mooring being allowed to cruise as they wish within the law as set out by Parliament. These type of emails is just another sign of an organisation out of control and very badly managed Edited by cotswoldsman

Dean. I'd email the CRT enforcement officer for the northern region, and tell them your itinerary, and then ask why you have been issued with the letter, as you have clearly been within their rules. Politely ask for your sightings record, and ask that they speak to the letter issuer to ensure they don't send out worrying letters to those abiding by the rules. Also complain about the broken water points.

Then continue as you are, safe in the knowledge that you are in the right.

If you are still concerned, just take a pic of your boat on your phone each day. It should be time and location stamped.

CRT are acting in a bullying fashion. This is regretable.. I too have been worried about their practices. Takes the fun out of boating.

I simply advocate the right of a boater with a Home Mooring being allowed to cruise as they wish within the law as set out by Parliament. These type of emails is just another sign of an organisation out of control and very badly managed

I have to agree with that. "Badly Managed" yes in many areas (or is that places?)

I quoted what Dean had written.

And I shall repeat myself, there is a big difference between MAY and IS.

Now change your very boring record Tony.

I won't change any records, but I will refrain from responding *************.

Edited by DeanS
site guidelines
  • Greenie 2

I wouldn't say it's set to get very silly . . . . . it's got there already, and not just silly, but potentially rather more serious than that. The implications of such letters will cause a great deal of anxiety for many of the recipients

Actually I'd not be worried on receipt of such a letter - I'd simply do as Dean has and tell them what I have been up to.... IMO a lot of the anxiety is caused by threads like this that preach doom and gloom all the time and train people to fear the worst possible outcome from everything that CRT do. But as I say it's only my opinion and worth about as much as the other opinions on here. cheers.gif

• Greenie 1

I am told unofficially, that enforcement (which employs over 50 staff) now costs over £3m a year.

I believe when CaRT started it was in the order of £2.2m

However, the £3m given is for all enforcement including licence enforcement.