Kayaker

Rufford

Featured Posts

Last night I had a Kayayker dive into a bridge hole as I was coming through it.

I just looked at the chap and said 'Really?'

To which he replied that there was plenty of room and he had not marked my boat.

I had to point out that I was not concerned about my boat, but was more concerned about his safety.

Further on up the canal I was then forced from the outside of a bend (whilst towing) to the inside of a bend to avoid kayaks (despite me waving them through on the other side), I thought they were being bloody silly until I got up close and realised that they were kids, so I did a little emergency maneuver and went around them. Whilst they were on the outside of the bend and ideally in the water I needed to use to go around the bend smoothly I can appreciate that they went that side so as to have the kids near the pilings if they were to fall in.

Whilst they went past the 'adult' in the group gave the steerer of the boat I was towing a good telling off for 'traveling to close to the boat in front' he even went as far as to say 'if you get any closer you will hit them!'. He didnt look too chuffed when it was explained that they were being towed...

That chap later ended up falling in from his kayak.

I dont wish to cause a Boaters v Kayak argument, we are all here to enjoy the waterways - but my distinct impression of many people who use kayaks are of 16 and 17 year old kids out on a joy ride in mums fiesta. They really couldn't careless and they are only bothered about their own progress - often throwing safety and common sense to the wind in the pursuit of a good 'time record'.

Does anyone know if any safety advice is given from BW to Kayaking/Canoing clubs? Have CaRT produced a risk assessment for this behavior?

Like I said previously, we are all here to enjoy the waterways but I really am concerned that if left unchecked this sort of reckless behavior and the increase in the number of boats (and novice boat owners) is going to end in a serious accident.

I have no argument with kayakers on the canal, in fact I enjoy seeing them, but some seem unaware of how dangerous a 20 ton steel boat can be in the wrong circumstances.

I have no argument with kayakers on the canal, in fact I enjoy seeing them, but some seem unaware of how dangerous a 20 ton steel boat can be in the wrong circumstances.

Very true - had one on the Severn once who tried to ram the prow of his kayak under our stern as we were heading upstream apparently because "the wash is fun to be in". I did consider doing a sudden manoeuvre and seeing what would happen.....

Very true - had one on the Severn once who tried to ram the prow of his kayak under our stern as we were heading upstream apparently because "the wash is fun to be in". I did consider doing a sudden manoeuvre and seeing what would happen.....

I think most Canoeists and Kyakers are sensible around other boats but there are always a few who do daft things. On the Trent on our way round to the Soar we had a bunch of kyakers swarm around the boat and repeatedly cross in front of the boat to see who could get as close to the bow as possible. Slowing down didn't help much. It was worrying and they just could not see the issue. They kept looking up at me seemingly waiting for me to have a go at them.

I haven't done that in decades, brings back memories of paddling like crazy trying to keep my canoe within a couple of feet of my friends outboard. Yes the wash is "fun" when compared to flat water, but I wouldn't dream of doing it without the permission and cooperation of the boat in front.

Hmm, it would seem that too many people including kyakers are taking to the water without fully understanding the various potential dangers, I can imagine the outcome of a kyak trying to stuff his bows close to a BIG vessel to ride the prop wash, they could easily become co-joined and would be unable to get clear relying on the vessel slowing down to a crawl which may not happen for some miles.

phil

Two Canadian canoes this afternoon totally on the wrong side of the river close to Culham lock cut up stream entrance. Made no attempt to move to either side so I had to go very wide and onto the wrong side of the river. Just lucky the Salter's steamer was not making its turn there and and there were no downstream boats.

I did get thanked by the person who appeared to be more mature than the rest but these were hire canoes and it seemed they had little idea about their responsibilities.

I fear it is beholden to more experienced boaters to keep well away from canoests, day boats, swimmers and swimming dogs

I snared a pair when I was 13, parents in one canoe on one side of the river, two kids in another on the opposite side with a towing line attached to the front of the kids and back of parents.

Bow of mum and step dad's narrow boat neatly picked up the towing line and clancked the canoes either side :)

I couldn't see em down the side of the boat or hear them over the noisy old SR3. All hell broke loose and an almighty row was had by both sets of parents - opps!

At no point did the prats towing their kids try to make me aware of what was likely to happen, I guess they thought a narrow boat stops like a car/canoe whatever.

I was relieved of steering duties for a while, much to my annoyance :(

Last night I had a Kayayker dive into a bridge hole as I was coming through it.

I just looked at the chap and said 'Really?'

To which he replied that there was plenty of room and he had not marked my boat.

I had to point out that I was not concerned about my boat, but was more concerned about his safety.

Further on up the canal I was then forced from the outside of a bend (whilst towing) to the inside of a bend to avoid kayaks (despite me waving them through on the other side), I thought they were being bloody silly until I got up close and realised that they were kids, so I did a little emergency maneuver and went around them. Whilst they were on the outside of the bend and ideally in the water I needed to use to go around the bend smoothly I can appreciate that they went that side so as to have the kids near the pilings if they were to fall in.

Whilst they went past the 'adult' in the group gave the steerer of the boat I was towing a good telling off for 'traveling to close to the boat in front' he even went as far as to say 'if you get any closer you will hit them!'. He didnt look too chuffed when it was explained that they were being towed...

That chap later ended up falling in from his kayak.

I dont wish to cause a Boaters v Kayak argument, we are all here to enjoy the waterways - but my distinct impression of many people who use kayaks are of 16 and 17 year old kids out on a joy ride in mums fiesta. They really couldn't careless and they are only bothered about their own progress - often throwing safety and common sense to the wind in the pursuit of a good 'time record'.

Does anyone know if any safety advice is given from BW to Kayaking/Canoing clubs? Have CaRT produced a risk assessment for this behavior?

Like I said previously, we are all here to enjoy the waterways but I really am concerned that if left unchecked this sort of reckless behavior and the increase in the number of boats (and novice boat owners) is going to end in a serious accident.

I was heading north on the Coventry canal, just south of Fradley Junction. It was pouring with rain and very overcast indeed. The canal goes under a main road bridge- I think it is the A38-- into almost a tunnel which must be 40 yards long and, because of the weather conditions, very dark. Suddenly a huge flotilla of kayaks appeared out of the gloom at the far end of the bridge. This seemed to be a school group, and they entered the bridgehole without warning. Luckily I was able to avoid damaging anyone or anything. As I exited the bridgehole I found the teachers in charge of the children huddled together round the corner sheltering from the rain. None of them had bothered to check if any traffic was coming before sending the children into the bridgehole. I certainly gave them a mouthful about their responsibilities and lack of professional care. I'm only sorry I didn't know which school they were from.

I was heading north on the Coventry canal, just south of Fradley Junction. It was pouring with rain and very overcast indeed. The canal goes under a main road bridge- I think it is the A38-- into almost a tunnel which must be 40 yards long and, because of the weather conditions, very dark. Suddenly a huge flotilla of kayaks appeared out of the gloom at the far end of the bridge. This seemed to be a school group, and they entered the bridgehole without warning. Luckily I was able to avoid damaging anyone or anything. As I exited the bridgehole I found the teachers in charge of the children huddled together round the corner sheltering from the rain. None of them had bothered to check if any traffic was coming before sending the children into the bridgehole. I certainly gave them a mouthful about their responsibilities and lack of professional care. I'm only sorry I didn't know which school they were from.

Good for you. They deserved it.

Edited by Guest

Have the kayakers at Cropredy improved their behaviour?

Last time went through there they were all over the place.

Still are! We nearly crushed one on a lock landing.