Incident at Foxton Locks

colinwilks

Featured Posts

From the dark side she wasn't dragged any where or even hurt. But who is right, them or the papers. http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/8292-call-for-fencing-at-foxton-locks

Surely a first for NBW?

They have picked up on a story, and actually manage to water it down and make it far less dramatic than the reality.

They will still need to do that a few hundred more times to balance the many times they have completely over-egged a story, though!

Surely a first for NBW?

They have picked up on a story, and actually manage to water it down and make it far less dramatic than the reality.

They will still need to do that a few hundred more times to balance the many times they have completely over-egged a story, though!

I think the author got confused. They perhaps don't realise the side po(u)nds are actually connected to the lock chambers?

If you accept that then it's clearly impossible to get sucked under a boat.

Oh no that must have been so scarey for the poor lady i hope she has fully recovered.

Im scared stiff of locks and not been the most sure footed person going the thort of slipping and ending up in one petrifies me .... but this is something i never even knew was possible

I did not know it was possible either. My sister always works the locks and she climbs along them so very carefully and slowly..yeah she's scared and it makes her cautious.

She won't let me do locks as she will not drive boat.

She admits canals and boats not her thing but comes to keep me company as I struggle single handed,

These accidents very rare and they serve as cautionary tales..dont let it put you off try and spend as much time at locks as you can.

I think the author got confused. They perhaps don't realise the side po(u)nds are actually connected to the lock chambers?

If you accept that then it's clearly impossible to get sucked under a boat.

No expert but if the lock fills from the side pond through a culvert opened by the paddle and someone falls into the side pound as this process starts surely it's entirely possible they appear in the lock (via the culvert) under the boat. Fortunately it was a short boat presumeably if full length the end result would have been tragically different.

No expert but if the lock fills from the side pond through a culvert opened by the paddle and someone falls into the side pound as this process starts surely it's entirely possible they appear in the lock (via the culvert) under the boat. Fortunately it was a short boat presumeably if full length the end result would have been tragically different.

Correct. Somebody needs to explain it to NBW though.

This being my point.

Have you worked these locks?

The bridges are required for boaters to cross the locks.

(With balance beams both sides, and paddles on the non-towpath side they are an essential part of how it all works.

yes hundreds of times, whats wrong with having a walkway on the locks like normal locks have?

getting rid of the bridges and installing walkways would keep the gongoozlers on the towpath.

It would also make it easier to get boats up and down using ropes.

What would stop the gongoozlers attempting to cross the walkways to get to the other side.?

There will always be somebody who will attempt it, fall in and then we have the HSE asking who's bright idea was this to remove the bridges?

The flight should be left exactly as it is.

Along which the visitors walk and fall in, cracking idea.....

So they fall in all over the country do they?

What would stop the gongoozlers attempting to cross the walkways to get to the other side.? Common sense as with any other lock

There will always be somebody who will attempt it, fall in and then we have the HSE asking who's bright idea was this to remove the bridges?

The flight should be left exactly as it is. But it won't be, they will install fences or something else.

yes hundreds of times, whats wrong with having a walkway on the locks like normal locks have?

Because on staicase locks the drop can be twice that of a normal lock, and with a solid cill rather than water at the bottom. In an era when the low edged tail bridges on the Staffs and Worcs had to have raised hanrails fitted (because of the death of a non-boater), replacing the existing relatively safe footbridges with a gate walkway isn't going to happen. And that is without considering the heritage issues of changing an arrangement recorded on century-old photographs.

What would stop the gongoozlers attempting to cross the walkways to get to the other side.?

The flight should be left exactly as it is.

Good god I agree with you......I might need to lie down.....

This also means no fences, hedges, warning notices etc.....you really can't cover everybody's stupidity.....if you want safe then go to a theme park like Alton towers.....oh hang on a min.....

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 1

Because on staicase locks the drop can be twice that of a normal lock, and with a solid cill rather than water at the bottom. In an era when the low edged tail bridges on the Staffs and Worcs had to have raised hanrails fitted (because of the death of a non-boater), replacing the existing relatively safe footbridges with a gate walkway isn't going to happen. And that is without considering the heritage issues of changing an arrangement recorded on century-old photographs.

Exactly this ^^^^^^^

David has saved me having to type up a detailed answer.

why do we imagine the public will not attempt to cross a balance beam where there is a handrail? They do it all the time, all over the place. IIt would surely make Foxton far more dangerous than currently?

So they fall in all over the country do they?

I am not sure of the point you are making but I regularly saw none boaters crossing locks where there are no bridges.

One of our moorings was close to a popular dog walking spot for people from the local town and they could often be seen carrying their dogs across. As to how many fell in I have no idea but I would say on balance it's safer for them to cross the canal on a bridge rather than a lock gate.

Foxton gets incredibly busy sometimes (It was positively heaving one day I drove their before we had a boat) and sure as eggs is eggs people will cross to get some space.

"Normal Locks"

Whilst walkways on gates may well be the usual arrangement in some parts of the country (particularly where they quaintly imagine that a 10' fall is massively deep), I can assure you that in those parts where we have proper deep locks, tail bridges are very much the order of the day.

Exactly this ^^^^^^^

David has saved me having to type up a detailed answer.

why do we imagine the public will not attempt to cross a balance beam where there is a handrail? They do it all the time, all over the place. IIt would surely make Foxton far more dangerous than currently?

Even SB where there is a nice bridge that cost a lot

Correct. Somebody needs to explain it to NBW though.

This being my point.

Why don't you give it a try Martin, you never know he may listen to you.frusty.gif

I did not know it was possible either. My sister always works the locks and she climbs along them so very carefully and slowly..yeah she's scared and it makes her cautious.

She won't let me do locks as she will not drive boat.

She admits canals and boats not her thing but comes to keep me company as I struggle single handed,

These accidents very rare and they serve as cautionary tales..dont let it put you off try and spend as much time at locks as you can.

When i first started reading everything i was gobsmacked how many boats come a cropper in locks so decided noo way i fancy driving id sooner do the locks.. then i started seeing lots of accidents operating the locks EEEEKKKK !! it really does scare me to bits the thort of contending with them but the thort of never doing it and staying in my house forever scares me more :)