Minimum time before return?

FidoDido

Featured Posts

I believe some of the moorings on Cranfleet got removed as part of a deal with commercial marinas. Sounds like the signs are still up even though there haven't been permit holders on them for quite a while.

Regards kris

in which case they can be used as 14 day moorings.

Ok so he has a home mooring, when you leave that you are supposed to "CC" and hes not doing that (is he)

I wonder if you would be kind enough to provide a link to the whereabouts in any of the waterways acts it states that, or anything similar to that.

If it does a lot of very eminent people have missed it.

Angela C

On the contrary - I think I am moving far more often and further than I would be expected to under the "rules" - thus the question I originally posted. Instead of going back to a mooring spot I had been at 5 days previously, I moved the boat 12 miles to the nearest 14 day spot.

I am certainly not wanting to take the mick.. But was thinking that maybe I was over-reacting, and doing too much, when actually a stop for 4 or 5 days at the Beeston mooring on the way back to Shardlow wouldn't have been breaking the spirit of the mystical rules.

At no point have I shuffled up and down in the same region, as I was under the impression that was not allowed.. Although others seem to think that it probably is breaking no law to do so.

Angela C

On the contrary - I think I am moving far more often and further than I would be expected to under the "rules" - thus the question I originally posted. Instead of going back to a mooring spot I had been at 5 days previously, I moved the boat 12 miles to the nearest 14 day spot.

I am certainly not wanting to take the mick.. But was thinking that maybe I was over-reacting, and doing too much, when actually a stop for 4 or 5 days at the Beeston mooring on the way back to Shardlow wouldn't have been breaking the spirit of the mystical rules.

At no point have I shuffled up and down in the same region, as I was under the impression that was not allowed.. Although others seem to think that it probably is breaking no law to do so.

Ah but remember she never really read your post just did a bit of assumption

I'd suggest you're right, the 14 day rule in Section 17 doesn't apply.

But the other 14 day rule applies instead. The one the OP accepted in the terms and conditions when he applied for his home moorer's licence.

But how is the other 14 day rule enforced when CRT are legally required to renew your licence anyway? The only sanction they have is to issue ever shorter licences.

I wonder who the first boater to be restricted to a one day licence will be. With them having to reapply every day.

I believe the OP, FidoDido, does not have a home mooring, 70' moorings are very hard to find anywhere. I am unaware of any 'No return within 'N' days' rule except where signposted.

The guidelines suggest that, as a minimum, it is acceptable to move from 'a' to 'b' to 'c', then back to 'b' then 'a' repeatedly. You can also reverse your direction of travel at any point but, if you turned around at 'b' you would need to carry on to the next 'place' in the same direction.

Most BW/CRT enforcement officers claim to be human beings who prefer advance notice of boater's difficulties rather than lame excuses after they are challenged.

FidoDido, stop worrying, tell CRT what you intend, for how long and describe your reason. Non reply implies agreement. The worst that should happen is that you get a preliminary notice requesting you to 'Move on or contact the enforcement officer within a two days'. If you comply it will be a blot on your copybook but does not place you into the enforcement process.

HTH, Alan

Ok so he has a home mooring, when you leave that you are supposed to "CC" and hes not doing that (is he)

The law regarding boaters with home moorings is entirely different to continuous cruisers.

I believe the OP, FidoDido, does not have a home mooring, 70' moorings are very hard to find anywhere. I am unaware of any 'No return within 'N' days' rule except where signposted.

The guidelines suggest that, as a minimum, it is acceptable to move from 'a' to 'b' to 'c', then back to 'b' then 'a' repeatedly. You can also reverse your direction of travel at any point but, if you turned around at 'b' you would need to carry on to the next 'place' in the same direction.

Most BW/CRT enforcement officers claim to be human beings who prefer advance notice of boater's difficulties rather than lame excuses after they are challenged.

FidoDido, stop worrying, tell CRT what you intend, for how long and describe your reason. Non reply implies agreement. The worst that should happen is that you get a preliminary notice requesting you to 'Move on or contact the enforcement officer within a two days'. If you comply it will be a blot on your copybook but does not place you into the enforcement process.

HTH, Alan

Fido dido DOES have a home mooring. Again this thread is going round in circles. I thought once those with a home mooring left their mooring they are regarded as continuous cruisers EXCEPT that they can stay in the same area.

The op would like a mooring nearer to his work. All he is doing is trying to comply with whatever the rules are.

This thread is a clear illustration of the levels of anxiety and fear that C&RT's so-called 'rules' have created amongst boaters over the probable repercussions likely from using their boats in a manner which is wholly within the law and for which they have paid all their dues in return for the entitlement.

I can well imagine the uproar and indignation that would result from any attempts by the Highways Agency or DVLA to impose similar unreasonable and unlawful restrictions on the use of public roads by private cars.

Why are C&RT's efforts to impose unreasonable, unlawful restrictions on the use, and users, of public waterways so readily accepted and tolerated ?

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Fido dido DOES have a home mooring. Again this thread is going round in circles. I thought once those with a home mooring left their mooring they are regarded as continuous cruisers EXCEPT that they can stay in the same area.

The op would like a mooring nearer to his work. All he is doing is trying to comply with whatever the rules are.

I would suggest he is very much within the law, and is doing nothing wrong.

As for the cming by some, I learnt a long time ago that the views held by a small minority in here, are not generally accepted on the cut.

Fido,

I came past your boat yesterday ON your home mooring.

There was a notice attached.

It said....

"Due to your cruising pattern, we have sublet your mooring. Please remove your boat. You are however still entitled to declare it as a home mooring for licencing purposes "

Not really.☺

Hi Alan,

Yes, I do have a home mooring.. At Willowbrook LTMs in Shardlow, and I won't give up this mooring until I can secure another closer to work. Occasionally I have to leave the boat for a month when I have to go abroad, so I would always have to have a home mooring. for the past 4 years, I have been commuting to and from work by car. However, earlier in the year, I thought it would be interesting to see what life would be like cruising around, rather than stuck in the same spot. I have therefore done exactly that, which is why my boat has only been on its home mooring for 2 weeks of the past 15.

I have otherwise been moving the boat, obeying any signage, over a pretty big area thus far (probably 40-50 miles), as my enthusiasm for getting out and about is high, and the evenings are light.

I would like a mooring nearer my work, but Beeston Marina is currently full, with a waiting list of 10 boats. Castle Marina does not have space currently for a 70ft boat (and even if it did, I'm not sure I could afford the enormous fee). The only other option is the Castle Marina Towpath, as Mrs Trackman says, which I will certainly investigate, but its been full for the past 4 months. it might provide a good solution, as it is only 20 mins walk from work, and is cheaper than my current mooring, but there are no facilities whatsoever (though thats not a particular concern for me).

Thus, moving the boat around is the best option I have currently, as I can have it near work for some of the time, and I also get to see a variety of other spots, many of which are no further than my 12 mile away home mooring, the rest of the time. If I fancy a trip to Willington, Burton etc, then thats also pretty easy, as the train links me back to work (and thus can collect my car), and down the Soar, the Skylink bus intercepts at Kegworth, Zouch and Loughborough.). Erewash I will probably stay clear of, for the simple fact there are relatively few places to wind, and the only pumpout is at Langley Mill, though I did spend a few days up there recently.

No doubt the River levels will stop me navigating much from Nov to April (unless its up the Trent and Mersey from Shardlow), in which case I'll have to leave it back at my home mooring (shame, as Nov/Dec is the very time when it would be good to have it close, to keep the fire in, so I don't get back to a cold boat at 10pm).

Fido,
I came past your boat yesterday ON your home mooring.
There was a notice attached.
It said....
"Due to your cruising pattern, we have sublet your mooring. Please remove your boat. You are however still entitled to declare it as a home mooring for licencing purposes "

Not really.☺

I did get some questions when I got it back there last Thursday. I explained to Ben (on the wide beam) than I brought it back, as I'm off to France for 2 weeks.. He said "bloody hell - you got a good job - you've been out on this for the past 6 weeks, then off to France!)>>

i explained I did also go to work occasionally ;)

I thought that the deal that took out a proportion of moorings when a new marina agreed to an Access Agreement related to permanent not visitor moorings.

Yes. As some permanent moorings removed should now be able to use as vm s . However sign saying permit holders only is still in hedge. We moored there for an hour the other week and I thought it a useful spot. Would be good if it is a 14 day mooring as there are scarce under the current regime.