Need to improve my internet

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

I presently have all you can eat data with my iPad and apple mac tethered. This is now out of contract, but I haven't heard from 3 to discontinue etc. however, I don't like the intermittent signals ans speeds etc.

I am going to dump the 3 All You Can Eat and go for a Huawei e5372 dongly thingy with EE at 15 GB for £20. I like the dongle as it can accommodate a TS9 ariel. The phone I will have a 321 sim.

Can I do better?

Martyn

I presently have all you can eat data with my iPad and apple mac tethered. This is now out of contract, but I haven't heard from 3 to discontinue etc. however, I don't like the intermittent signals ans speeds etc.

I am going to dump the 3 All You Can Eat and go for a Huawei e5372 dongly thingy with EE at 15 GB for £20. I like the dongle as it can accommodate a TS9 ariel. The phone I will have a 321 sim.

Can I do better?

Martyn

I dumped the Three One Plan in February, and now have a Huawei MiFi with aerial attached, and an EE data sim £20 for 15Gb of 4G data. In my phone I have a giffgaff sim and buy the £10 per month 500 mins, lots of texts, and 1Gb of 3G data. The Three 321 PAYG could work out cheaper - I have one in my backup phone which I rarely use.

The EE data is very fast, and much much better than the average to poor speeds received on The One Plan.

By all means try another network but I don't think you can be sure to improve consistently - I did a bunch of tests and it seems to vary with location and day/time. In busy times in urban and suburban areas, three went slow. But in non-busy times and more rural areas three was better than o2. I tried ee too but it was slower than o2 in rural areas so no use for me. This was a few months ago so things may have changed since.

Anyway, I'd try a different network but don't get a contract that locks you in for ages. Might be worth getting their cheapest payg data sim to test it out.

If buying the Huawei, independently (not with the contract deal) then try your Three sim first, with an aerial in the Huawei.

ps. the Huawei can take two aerials, if only using one make sure you connect it to the correct socket.

As for coverage and speed, it is the same as everywhere, signal, number of people on line etc.

If buying the Huawei, independently (not with the contract deal) then try your Three sim first, with an aerial in the Huawei.

ps. the Huawei can take two aerials, if only using one make sure you connect it to the correct socket.

As for coverage and speed, it is the same as everywhere, signal, number of people on line etc.

do you mean just to try it or to permanently use it? I thought they could tell if you're using the sim in a dongle. I,of course may be incorrect

I'm still using the One plan from three, somehow I still have unlimited tethering.

where I am is fairly close to skegness which during the summer has a massive influx of people to static caravans (have a look on google earth to see the amount of them)

for 9 months of the year 3g speeds run at about 9mb down and 4mb up (4g runs at around 24 down and 17 up), for 3 months of the year you are lucky to get 1 in either direction (regardless of 3g/4g)

O2 and Vodafone buckle under the strain with non-existant data and dropped calls galore

EE (or at least the part that used to be T-Mobile) was reliable for calls but very spotty for data

do you mean just to try it or to permanently use it? I thought they could tell if you're using the sim in a dongle. I,of course may be incorrect

Even if your 321sim works in the dongle at 1p per mb for data it will work out at £10 per gb, OK for occasional use only but I doubt it will work in a dongle anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have managed a reasonable deal with '3'.

Phone will have a new tarif. 1gb Data. 600 minutes, unlimited 3 to 3 minutes. And all you can texts. All three of my sons are on 3 contracts. £11.00 a month. No contract.

I have got a Huawei 5573 WIFI dongle free, 15 GB of Data per month, 4g. 24 month contract. (Didn't want contract but.....). £15.99 a month.

I'm pleased. There are probably better deals out there but this was the best I could do.

Martyn

I have an EE osprey which picks up 4G and transmits it as wi fi throughout the boat. Can't always get 4G but always get 3G+ which is perfectly adequate for surfing the net and watching you tube videos . I hace a monthly contract for 15gb and pay £20 per month.

I have an EE osprey which picks up 4G and transmits it as wi fi throughout the boat. Can't always get 4G but always get 3G+ which is perfectly adequate for surfing the net and watching you tube videos . I hace a monthly contract for 15gb and pay £20 per month.

I use the same and get 4G in most places with it sat it the front window, just come back from a 6 week trip from Sawley to llagollen and it worked brilliantly even picked up where i couldnt get any signal on my iphone which is also on EE, i was going to get a huawei for the external aerial conection, but have changed my mind as i think it unlikely i will need it for the odd time the signal is weak. ( i have been with EE for donkeys years and i got the dongle free as a managers special ... worth a try if you have a phone with them)

Rick