Help up the Thames .

madcat

Featured Posts

Anybody able to help a single hander up the Thames at short notice fairly soon after next weekend ? I might have a companion but it depends on work commitments ,if not I will be needing a hand for a couple of days as I'm not confident on rivers .

Once at on the canal at Oxford that's the worst bit of the trip over I can plod back to the West Midlands ok.

I won't know if I need to do the trip till after Thursday's survey.

Anybody able to help a single hander up the Thames at short notice fairly soon after next weekend ? I might have a companion but it depends on work commitments ,if not I will be needing a hand for a couple of days as I'm not confident on rivers .

Once at on the canal at Oxford that's the worst bit of the trip over I can plod back to the West Midlands ok.

Does this mean that you have successfully purchased the boat of your desires?????

We saw your old boat at Middlewich (and Anderton) looking very smart indeed

...............Dave

Does this mean that you have successfully purchased the boat of your desires?????

It says........

Survey Thursday then either yes (likely ) or not if something unexpected and bad shows up . I'm needing to make sure I can get home asap if I do buy .

Paperwork and official stuff bring me out in spots.

Further question . Into Oxford via Dukes cut or Isis lock ? Is it difficult getting turned in off the river at either place .

Rivers scare me a bit more spots but I'm being coy about where :)

Survey Thursday then either yes (likely ) or not if something unexpected and bad shows up . I'm needing to make sure I can get home asap if I do buy .

Paperwork and official stuff bring me out in spots.

Further question . Into Oxford via Dukes cut or Isis lock ? Is it difficult getting turned in off the river at either place .

Rivers scare me a bit more spots but I'm being coy about where smile.png

I'd go Dukes cut. The river is prettier than the moorings through Oxford

Best of luck on Thursday

Richard

Whilst Oxford doesn't particularly love it's canals, I think people are harsh about the realities of the stretch from Isis Lock. There is nothing wrong with it, and if you want to stop in Oxford, it is not usually hard to find a mooring, despite what some say.

The Jericho area is lovely, if you venture of the boat.

I have never been abused by any live aboard boaters for trying to use that stretch of canal, nor have I seen anybody else be, on the several times I have walked along it.

Whilst Oxford doesn't particularly love it's canals, I think people are harsh about the realities of the stretch from Isis Lock. There is nothing wrong with it, and if you want to stop in Oxford, it is not usually hard to find a mooring, despite what some say.

The Jericho area is lovely, if you venture of the boat.

I have never been abused by any live aboard boaters for trying to use that stretch of canal, nor have I seen anybody else be, on the several times I have walked along it.

My only objection is that there are a lot of moorings that you have to pass slowly. They are nice enough, but no where near as attractive as the Thames

Richard

The Thames stretch is dull and boring in comparison to the Jericho stretch in my opinion. The OP will have seen plenty of Prettiness below Oxford!

The canal from Oxford to Duke's Cut is a wealth of fascination to me. I could spend a whole week there and still not have studied everything of interest...

Heading North then Dukes cut is the best way, and very pretty too.

In a full length boat and with any flow then Sheepwash can be bad news, though neither should apply to you.

Sheepwash is best done heading south, and the lower Oxford is good.

We are in Liverpool now so next weekend is not good, but if its later then Gillie could be available.

.................Dave

Thanks Dave and Gillie , I'm not sure of anything yet. I might need to ask for a hand if my friend is too taken up with engine change to come for a couple of days up the river.

Where's the best place to moor in Reading , do you have to pay or are there the normal CRT visitor moorings ? I've got a Pearsons guide for K and A and middle Thames to refer to for places.

Thanks Dave and Gillie , I'm not sure of anything yet. I might need to ask for a hand if my friend is too taken up with engine change to come for a couple of days up the river.

Where's the best place to moor in Reading , do you have to pay or are there the normal CRT visitor moorings ? I've got a Pearsons guide for K and A and middle Thames to refer to for places.

Just overnight presumably?

Nice moorings just north out of Sonning Lock, then more at Kennet Mouth and then outside Tesco. Then again on the right just past Reading Bridge, then if you still find no space there, carry on through Caversham bridge to about a mile of good mooring space on the left, on the festival site.

Thanks Mike , Reading is just a map page to me I've never been there in my life . I can see County and Blakes locks on my map plus Caversham and the Tesco mooring but I've no idea where Sonning Lock is .

This is all new and scary ground for me . I won't be happy till I'm back in the West Midlands and tackling my first pint in The Fountain in Tipton.

Thanks Mike , Reading is just a map page to me I've never been there in my life

I have - the flooding was quite spectacular!

And that isn't going to be a problem for you this time of year

Richard

Unless it rains....

(Just kidding Madcat, you'll be fine!)

Thanks Mike , Reading is just a map page to me I've never been there in my life . I can see County and Blakes locks on my map plus Caversham and the Tesco mooring but I've no idea where Sonning Lock is .

This is all new and scary ground for me . I won't be happy till I'm back in the West Midlands and tackling my first pint in The Fountain in Tipton.

County and Blakes are on the Kennet, not the Thames.

Sonning Lock is about a mile downstream from where the Kennet joins the Thames at Reading, so the last lock you'll pass before reaching Reading (Assuming you're coming from London).

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I don't know why folks get wound up about the Thames, especially at the moment where there is minimal flow.

many locks will be manned 0900 to 1830 - perhaps a break from 1300 to 1400 unless there are volunteers around.

long lay byes without any permanent moorers on them.

Get some long lines and learn how to lasoo a bollard with a centre rope.

Speak / chat with the lockies, most of them are nb friendly and will help you if you're single handed.

Just be aware what the wind and eddies can do to the boat.

paulmeds (a new owner) and me (crew) are coming the other way, down from Oxford to Reading, provisionally on Thursday and Friday. Our best prior Thames experience between us is really that I did some rowing and punting in Oxford long ago, but we're not too worried, because we too have been advised that the flow should be very tame. We plan to go out onto the river at Duke's Cut, expecting that will be faster than staying on the canal down to Jericho.

Paul too is looking for crew to replace me when I go home, starting about Sunday in about Aldermaston depending on our progress; see his topic http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77159

It looks as if our paths might cross in Reading on Friday night, so you might wish to meet us then to hear how we got on with the horrors of the open Thames? We had planned to just get to Cropredy tonight, but we're going well so we're pressing ahead and might be almost in Oxford by Wednesday night.

There is a slight chance of anti-social behaviour at Fobney lock, and anywhere between Fobney and Reading, but probably less now than in the past.

K&A "wisdom" is to spend the night at the Cunning Man then start early and do the last few miles down to the Thames. There is time to stop at Tescos on the Thames for a shop and still easily to get to Oxford easily in two days.Wallingford or Dorchester (in the rough by the River Thame) or just above Days lock are good places for the overnight stop.

If there is space, if you are not in a rush, and if you don't mind paying £5 then stopping the second night at Kings lock is very pleasant, then straight into Dukes cut the next morning.

...............Dave

Madcat if you can't get in at the Tesco's at Reading there are some nice (free) mooring spots at Caversham when going up river you'll come to an island just before the large bridge. The island is where Caversham Boat hire & services are located, if you go to the right hand side of the island you'll find some nice moorings on the right hand side of the river. We moored there a couple of times last summer and had no problems at all.

As well as most of the places MtB has already mentioned.

BTW - I was scared to death about going on the Thames last year for the first time, we went in August and it was really wonderful. It was wide enough to turn just about anywhere, no need to slow down for moored boats in most locations and the lockies are a real gawd send - hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

don't remember if Mike mentioned Abingdon or not, but there's loads of mooring spots (most after the bridge, but some before as well), we did struggle to get a mooring at Wallingford it was only on our 4th time past the town that we were able to get a mooring and that was because a lovely couple offered to let us breast up to them.

Snip

carry on through Caversham bridge to about a mile of good mooring space on the left, on the festival site.

I know boats do and are moored there but when I came downstream about a month ago most of that stretch had frequent no mooring signs.

paulmeds (a new owner) and me (crew) are coming the other way, down from Oxford to Reading, provisionally on Thursday and Friday. Our best prior Thames experience between us is really that I did some rowing and punting in Oxford long ago, but we're not too worried, because we too have been advised that the flow should be very tame. We plan to go out onto the river at Duke's Cut, expecting that will be faster than staying on the canal down to Jericho.

Paul too is looking for crew to replace me when I go home, starting about Sunday in about Aldermaston depending on our progress; see his topic http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77159

It looks as if our paths might cross in Reading on Friday night, so you might wish to meet us then to hear how we got on with the horrors of the open Thames? We had planned to just get to Cropredy tonight, but we're going well so we're pressing ahead and might be almost in Oxford by Wednesday night.

You should have a great time. The Thames is a real treat.