Bt Email Charges

jenevers

Featured Posts

BT charge me a small monthly fee for the privilege of having an email account with them. It used to be free till I closed my landline down. I have a lot of saved email files with BT and don't want to lose them but wondered if I could save them somewhere else and wave BT goodbye.

Any ideas?

If you can configure to use their mail with a pop3 client, eg. outlook express or no doubt lots of other free ones, then you can download all the emails on to the client, and then disable the us of the server so it does not go to fetch more. You will then have those mails on on your local system.

BT charge me a small monthly fee for the privilege of having an email account with them. It used to be free till I closed my landline down. I have a lot of saved email files with BT and don't want to lose them but wondered if I could save them somewhere else and wave BT goodbye.

Any ideas?

I would guess that this fee is much smaller than the monthly line rental which you used to pay, so you are still "quids in". But why did you close your land line? Because you were moving on to your boat?

If you can configure to use their mail with a pop3 client, eg. outlook express or no doubt lots of other free ones, then you can download all the emails on to the client, and then disable the us of the server so it does not go to fetch more. You will then have those mails on on your local system.

POP !?!? IMAP!?!?!?

You've lost me.

Thought it might be complicated..

Mozilla Thunderbird allows you to use any amount e-mail accounts, I have two with different providers and one is POP and the other is IMAP.

Thought I could just send my emails en masse to AOL or Gmail and carry on from there. Edited by jenevers

POP !?!? IMAP!?!?!?

You've lost me.

Thought it might be complicated..

POP and IMAP are the methods used by email clients such as outlook or thunderbird to get the mail from the mail server. POP takes the mail off the server and stores it on your computer (it's gone from the server, you have the only copy) whereas IMAP leaves the mail on the server and shows you a copy of it on your computer (it only gets removed from the server if you hit delete).

If you still have lots of mail on the server the chances are you've been using IMAP so far. You could sign up to a new mail provider like zoho.com and enter the address of your old provider's POP server into their online interface, this would allow the new provider to retrieve all the messages from the old provider so your mail is still stored with the provider rather than on your own machine where it would be at risk of being lost if the machine died.

The POP server address and details you will need to retrieve your old mail are as follows: address=mail.btinternet.com, port=995 SSL=on, STARTTLS=off

I suppose you could 'forward' them to your new e-mail address but that may be laborious, not sure whether you can do it en-mass or have to do it singly.

or

you can open the the e-mails in BT and 'save as' each one in a file of your choice on your computer. (make a new file in Documents)

I had a virgin media email address which I was told would cease to exists when I cancelled my virgin media services. That was in January and I can still access and receive new emails from that account, but I just opened a new free account - forwarded all my emails to my new one.

There is probably a more sophisticated way to do this - but that was a simple solution for me.

Edited by Lmcgrath87

I pay £1.60 for the privilege of a BT email account.

I think it's a bit of a good deal.

£1.60 a month is £18.20 a year for something that you could have got better quality for free from dozens of places. The only way that's a good deal is if the act of changing mail provider will require you to hire someone to reconfigure a load of systems or if you've had your @btinternet.com address printed on loads of letterheads. Free is a lot of a good deal, very hard to beat free, especially when it's not the type of free that bombards you with adverts. I pay about £8 a year for my family surname as a domain name, and use zoho free to create separate @(my-surname).net email accounts for both of my parents, myself, my daughter and my consultancy business.

POP and IMAP are the methods used by email clients such as outlook or thunderbird to get the mail from the mail server. POP takes the mail off the server and stores it on your computer (it's gone from the server, you have the only copy) whereas IMAP leaves the mail on the server and shows you a copy of it on your computer (it only gets removed from the server if you hit delete).

If you still have lots of mail on the server the chances are you've been using IMAP so far. You could sign up to a new mail provider like zoho.com and enter the address of your old provider's POP server into their online interface, this would allow the new provider to retrieve all the messages from the old provider so your mail is still stored with the provider rather than on your own machine where it would be at risk of being lost if the machine died.

The POP server address and details you will need to retrieve your old mail are as follows: address=mail.btinternet.com, port=995 SSL=on, STARTTLS=off

Actually POP can leave the files on the server if you want, I am using one like that at the moment.

£1.60 a month is £18.20 a year for something that you could have got better quality for free from dozens of places. The only way that's a good deal is if the act of changing mail provider will require you to hire someone to reconfigure a load of systems or if you've had your @btinternet.com address printed on loads of letterheads. Free is a lot of a good deal, very hard to beat free, especially when it's not the type of free that bombards you with adverts. I pay about £8 a year for my family surname as a domain name, and use zoho free to create separate @(my-surname).net email accounts for both of my parents, myself, my daughter and my consultancy business.

Just over 5 p a day. It's not going to break the bank is it?

That is how I run my BT email via Becky so its all on my computer and not relying on their server. It also keeps my address book on my computer and not there to be hacked on their server.

My mum was with Tiscali until she died over 3 years ago and I still use here email on pop3

If your POP3 setting on what ever device reads your emails is set to delete your emails on the server a set number of days after they have been read, then BT no longer has them.

Look at the account settings on your email viewer ( ie thunderbird or similar) to check this.

Hotmail appears less common, but I do all my personal emails usig a gmail account and email forwarding from various domain names.

I think it can pick up pop3 etc also.

For me being able to pick up emails anywhere I can get internet, and now having to set up an email client on a oc is a huge bonus. And obviously it integrates well with an android phone.

Daniel

As a user of BT/Yahoo mail (for thats what it really is), you can use outlook, or outlook express, to link seamlessly. I leave all email on their servers, Heh why use my disk space or risk downloading gremlins). But I have downloaded all email from BT in the past with a switch set to leave copy on the server. The specific setting can be found on Yahoo.co.uk mail settings.

Oh of the two outlook products the full blown outlook.com is better.

Its a real pain though, I should never have given up my registered email address, which was simple david@mail.com.. Ok That really dates me to a very very early user. I couldnt afford the 50 bucks to keep it way back when.

Mozilla Thunderbird allows you to use any amount e-mail accounts, I have two with different providers and one is POP and the other is IMAP.

I heard and read lots of good things about Thunderbird, and recommended it to my partner ... so she could get a lot of older but important business emails off a Clara.net email account server and onto her laptop.

Everything downloaded nicely and appeared locally, so after a couple of weeks she deleted two year's worth of the oldest emails on the server.

Then something went seriously wrong with Thunderbird (no idea what), and through the guidance of a Thunderbird advisor, after various attempts to get it running properly, was told to re-install Thunderbird. She was absolutely assured that the emails held locally (on her laptop) would be retained.

Well, you can see where this is going. The emails were not retained, so she lost two years of of correspondance. So she, and frankly me, now don't trust Thunderbird. And she's gone back to leaving them on Clara.net.

If it were me, I'd want to have any important emails in a form separate from any email client -- even Notepad or some other txt file.

Hotmail appears less common, but I do all my personal emails usig a gmail account and email forwarding from various domain names.

I think it can pick up pop3 etc also.

For me being able to pick up emails anywhere I can get internet, and now having to set up an email client on a oc is a huge bonus. And obviously it integrates well with an android phone.

Daniel

For gmail from my phone I use IMAP, and I want all the mail to remain of the server, so it can be accessed by web as well as on my iPhone email client (the iOS email client, not the gmail app in my case). My phone also access via pop3 another email account, where I leave the emails on the server again so they can be accessed by web if needed. I have it so deleting on phone deletes from server.