Thames Trip Brentford to Reading

alvicchas1

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I moor on the Paddington Arm - never been on the Thames but thinking of a week to try it. Will probably only go as far as Reading and back.

Can anybody give me any advice on particularly interesting parts, good overnight moorings and any other general tips?

Thanks

Hi All,

I moor on the Paddington Arm - never been on the Thames but thinking of a week to try it. Will probably only go as far as Reading and back.

Can anybody give me any advice on particularly interesting parts, good overnight moorings and any other general tips?

Thanks

To do the touristy bits Hampton Court and Windsor are a nust.

Tim

If you are entering the Thames at Brentford then its quite straightforward. Unlike canals, many moorings on the Thames are chargable, around £6 to £10 per night.Richmond lock is open approx two hours either side of high water, allowing passage through the weir gates instead of the lock itself at other times. Plenty of good, and free, moorings above Kingston Bridge with easy access to the town centre for supplies. Hampton Court has good moorings, also free, but of course is very popular. Some good free moorings just below Shepperton Lock near the entrance to the River Wey. Free moorings as I recall at Windsor on the Eton bank, just a short walk to the castle.

Henley is worth a visit, mooring is free during the day but overnight mooring fee (£9) is paid at the car park pay and display machines.

All the locks are manned during the day but available for self service outside service hours. The lockies require bow and stern lines. Use of the centre line only is frowned upon. Water, refuse and pumpout are available at many of the locks. Pumpout cards are available from the lockie. Enjoy your trip.

Ken

If you are entering the Thames at Brentford then its quite straightforward. Unlike canals, many moorings on the Thames are chargable, around £6 to £10 per night.Richmond lock is open approx two hours either side of high water, allowing passage through the weir gates instead of the lock itself at other times. Plenty of good, and free, moorings above Kingston Bridge with easy access to the town centre for supplies. Hampton Court has good moorings, also free, but of course is very popular. Some good free moorings just below Shepperton Lock near the entrance to the River Wey. Free moorings as I recall at Windsor on the Eton bank, just a short walk to the castle.

Henley is worth a visit, mooring is free during the day but overnight mooring fee (£9) is paid at the car park pay and display machines.

All the locks are manned during the day but available for self service outside service hours. The lockies require bow and stern lines. Use of the centre line only is frowned upon. Water, refuse and pumpout are available at many of the locks. Pumpout cards are available from the lockie. Enjoy your trip.

Ken

Thanks for your informative reply. My bow and stern lines are fairly short - I tend to use a centre rope in locks. I know locks will vary in depth but what length of bow and stern lines would be required?

Thanks for your informative reply. My bow and stern lines are fairly short - I tend to use a centre rope in locks. I know locks will vary in depth but what length of bow and stern lines would be required?

I suggest ten metre lines are about right. Some of the thames locks are very deep and lockies will often take a bow or stern line from you, loop it over a bollard and pass the free end back to you so you can stay on the boat, as it is not easy to get off the boat promptly in a deep lock while it is filling up with other boats.

And that's another thing. Bit of a culture shock to find the thames locks are often big enough for £several million of gin palace to fit themselves in alongside you, then proceed to complain about your presence in there with them!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I think the deepest <non tidal> lock is less than 9 foot drop so you need twice that plus a bit more.

We used our normal mooring ropes without issue.

ETA deepest is Sandford = 8 foot 9".

Edited by mark99

I think the deepest <non tidal> lock is less than 9 foot drop so you need twice that plus a bit more.

Is that all? I'd have guessed 14ft at least from some of the line-chuckings to lockies I've done!

Is that all? I'd have guessed 14ft at least from some of the line-chuckings to lockies I've done!

We were going "down", the OP will be going "up". Going down is easy you just loop a shortish line round bollard - going up I sus'pose it's harder as you have to lob the line upwards and it can feel deeper and maybe you think you need more line to compensate for throw accuracy.

Edited by mark99

Another couple of points. I guess you are aware that you need a Thames licence available from the Environment Agency. Usually the first Thames lock you come to can issue one. You will also need to show a copy of your boat insurance and BSS certificate for its issue.

I would recommend a couple of largish inflatable fenders for when you are moored up against concrete walls, eg Kingston. Passing boats can generate a lot of wash which can be uncomfortable without them.

Ken

Our limited experience is that the lockies will not check your BSS or Insurance - they like to see a CaRT licence and assume it's proof there-of.

Very good point re balloon fenders. You WILL need them (get long balloon ones) unless you want a damaged paint job.

We use balloon fenders on hooks that hook over handrail with a locking sliding knot (midshipmans hitch) to adjust length of balloon rapidly and exactly to fend boat off undercut concrete present on most moorings..

Our first expedition with narrowboat on Thames resulted in a gouge of top bend due to lack of correctly adjusted balloon fender. I've now got to rub it smooth and repaint! mind you it was 50 mph winds that done for us that blew us into a concrete lock siding.

Edited by mark99

Another couple of points. I guess you are aware that you need a Thames licence available from the Environment Agency. Usually the first Thames lock you come to can issue one. You will also need to show a copy of your boat insurance and BSS certificate for its issue.

I would recommend a couple of largish inflatable fenders for when you are moored up against concrete walls, eg Kingston. Passing boats can generate a lot of wash which can be uncomfortable without them.

Ken

[/quote

In my experience the holding of the CRT licence (BW as it was last time) was sufficient to get Thames licence without production

of further documented evidence or BSS and insurance certificates.

Has this changed because I don't usually carry them on board?

Edited by dekker

Dekker - I don't think it's changed.

A CaRT current displayed CaRT licence is sufficient. At least it was two weeks ago.

Those that want to swan about not displaying a CaRT licence because "it's not necessary and it's their business no one else's" will have to do different.

We also weren't asked for our insurance or BSC when we were on the Thames last year.

What MtB said about sharing the locks with the GPR's is spot on... quite an eye opener the first couple of times :)

We found the lockies to be very friendly and a great source if info re moorings, pubs and local shops. Speaking of which there's a large Tesco at Reading (just as you pass the enterance to the K&A) on the left, free moorings

I love the non-tidal Thames Enjoy your trip boat.gif

I love the non-tidal Thames Enjoy your trip boat.gif

I've not made my mind up about Thames yet on a steel boat yet. (I used to trailboat it a lot (glass fibre) and loved it).

It has some lovely bits but in Autumn/Winter I reckon it could be a real handful. And in high summer on holiday season it could be like a fairground - exit one lock in line with assorted assembly of Gin Palaces/Tiered Wedding Cakes and race to next lock - await queue.

I've got an inkling that the Thames is best in spring on low water/early summer and then get the f**ck off!

Edited by mark99

Our limited experience is that the lockies will not check your BSS or Insurance - they like to see a CaRT licence and assume it's proof there-of.

You may well not be asked for proof of insurance or BSS. When we joined the Thames at Oxford via Isis Lock to spend a couple of days before rejoining the Oxford at Dukes Cut, we were asked to show both by the lady lockie at Godstow Lock who issued our day licence.

I guess it's better to be prepared, just in case.

Ken

Dekker - I don't think it's changed.

A CaRT current displayed CaRT licence is sufficient. At least it was two weeks ago.

Those that want to swan about not displaying a CaRT licence because "it's not necessary and it's their business no one else's" will have to do different.

Thanks Mark....that's what I thought

Thanks Mark....that's what I thought

I spoke to Lockie at Kings Lock and he advised that the EA and CaRT systems do not speak to one another and they are advised to look at CaRT licence which should equate to current BSC and insurance.

There is an anomaly in that if you turn up at any lock without boat, you cannot expect a licence to be issued there an then by the individual Lockie - they need to SEE the boat. But if you pre-apply, you can get a licence on line (presumably because they can check CaRT records given time). I know cos I tried two locks to get a licence without boat to save time! smile.png

Edited by mark99

At some locks the side is 6 feet above the (normal) upper water level, esp near to the gates, which may explain your line-chucking?

You need to be prepared for the dirty looks you get from luxury yaught captains. They can be quite withering to us innocent muddy ditch boaters.

.. the most withering comment I got was when (while approaching a mooring in Henley) I passed about six feet away from such a boat. I tried to explain that in canal terms this was quite a big gap, but he wasn't having it.

My general advice would be to start early, and moor up by 4pm. Much more relaxing.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

It has some lovely bits but in Autumn/Winter I reckon it could be a real handful. And in high summer on holiday season it could be like a fairground - exit one lock in line with assorted assembly of Gin Palaces/Tiered Wedding Cakes and race to next lock - await queue.

I've got an inkling that the Thames is best in spring on low water/early summer and then get the f**ck off!

Yes it's very much like this all summer. The cut is a refreshing change not to have six gin palaces overtaking you after leaving a lock first, only to catch them at the next lock a mile up the river, only have the next lockie wave you into the lock first (and therefore leave first), once again!

The best summer Thames cruising is in the evening after the lockies knock off. All the tupperware moors up and leaves you with the river to yourself. And night cruising is an utter delight!

I've not made my mind up about Thames yet on a steel boat yet. (I used to trailboat it a lot (glass fibre) and loved it).

That could well be true Mark, I also only have limited knowledge.

We spent 5 weeks on the Thames last year, the last 3 wks of Aug & 1st wk of Sept and then the last wk of Oct. but since I have no other times to compare it too, I don't know if spring time is better or not. But we did really enjoy the time we spent on the river.

We only found it "really" busy during the Reading festival, where we had to queue for a few of the locks, but that's ok as I'm a bit of a chatter bug, it gave Dave a break and gave me other folks to chat with tongue.png

Although I wouldn't be tempted to spend a winter on the river (chicken that I am), we headed back to the GU before the winter stoppages started on the Thames locks.wacko.png

It's not just the big plastic boats sharing locks that can give you a bit of a fright. Something like this coming in behind you can also be slightly worrying.

.012.JPG

Edited by adam1uk

In the nine years we have been boating on the Thames we have never had to wait at any lock during the Reading festival as the vast majority of festival traffic is by foot. If you want to visit the honey spots during the height of the boating season (for cruisers) or during the Henley regatta season then yes you can expect to queue at some of the locks, so just plan your trips outside of these times.

Don’t worry about the plastic boats as they will do their best to keep out of your way and they will put plenty of fenders down.

On the visitors licence form you will self declare that you have BSS etc. The charges are based on square metres and one week is cheaper than three days. Engines must be turned off in the locks.

Paul

Ps. You can apply online and print off.

PPs. Some lockies like narrowboats