Staffs and Worcester veg cutting.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Last year we travelled the Staffs and Worcester from Autherley to Stourport sometime on July, and the towpath-side vegetation was something to behold. Five feet high in places between the path and the cut, and even higher on the hedge side. It had clearly not been touched for the entire growing season.

We've just done the same trip, and the strip between the cut and the path is bowling green-smooth for the entire length. No exceptions, until above the final lock before Autherley, where it reverts to the old status.

I hesitate to argue that one is better than the other, but I do think that maybe CRT have gone a bit overboard this year, What is a problem though is that all the cuttings seem to have ended up in the canal. It's almost as bad as leaf-fall season for fouling the prop, and surely must be a false economy, once the cost of dredging the rotted-down silt is taken into account?

MP.

Seems CRT can not win sometimes. I would rather they cut the towpath and maybe if they now do it regularly you will not have the prop problem. The Staffs and Worcs was completely overgrown so glad they have listened to some of us that were very vocal with our complaints

The aim of getting the canal and river trust and it's contractors to maintain vegetation was an issue some of us pushed for last year.

The underlying issues were, older folk being able to get off their boat whilst also being able to get to the bank in the first place, and the offside being cut back to hopefully stop some of the overgrowth spilling so much autumn clutter into the cut. Thus not adding quite so much to the silt build up overall.

Good housekeeping services will surely benefit all?

I am fairly ambivalent all round on this topic.

As long as you can walk or get a bike past the foliage and there are some holes to moor. Done.

Happy for it yo be trimmed to the edge if there is one, happy for wider and or more rural towpaths to be left to go more wild within reason.

Daniel.

As long as you can walk or get a bike past the foliage and there are some holes to moor. Done.

Daniel.

All very well, but at the time, there were a rash of pop up 48hr moorings being developed. The future at the time looked bleak for 14 day moorings, with most of the maintenance being concentrated only on the vm's. Geoff Whyatt had stated beforehand that this was in fact the trusts aims. It did however get well out of hand with the weather being perfect for rapid growth, and the trust not having at the time, a plan to address it.

It's difficult to please everyone of course, but there were benefits to the trust being urged to stay on top of preventative veg management.

I would certainly be against loosing 14 moorings, but am also young enough to stamp down long foliage.

Daniel

But it is not all about you!!

For older boaters it is dangerous jumping into the unknown in fact for example Stan who is 79 won't even attempt it anymore after jumping off once into a hole and not being able to walk for 3 weeks

But it is not all about you!!

For older boaters it is dangerous jumping into the unknown in fact for example Stan who is 79 won't even attempt it anymore after jumping off once into a hole and not being able to walk for 3 weeks

Indeed but it is not all about Stan either.

Happy for it yo be trimmed to the edge if there is one, happy for wider and or more rural towpaths to be left to go more wild within reason.

Daniel.

I agree I don't want an over mancured lawn for a towpath. I can get out and cut my own mooring if required and have done so on the Staffy berfore.

• Greenie 2

I agree I don't want an over mancured lawn for a towpath. I can get out and cut my own mooring if required and have done so on the Staffy berfore.

Good for you. Some don't have that ability.

Whilst your busy thinking of yourself, some of us will make sure others can enjoy their boating, and we won't have to worry about you. Result.

Edited by jenlyn

You must be able to see something in my post that is not available to me. I can't see the part where I said it was all about Stan. I can only see the bit where I said it is dangerous for older boaters and used Stan as an example, other examples are available

You must be able to see something in my post that is not available to me. I can't see the part where I said it was all about Stan. I can only see the bit where I said it is dangerous for older boaters and used Stan as an example, other examples are available

You were saying it was not all about Dhutch and his view which of course is true but it is not all about the folk who want it all cut edge to hedge either it is not just Dhutch that holds the opinion he was explaining.

I mean there has to be a balance between natural growth and cut moorings. If folk (like Dhutch and myself) cut a patch when we moor someone else who is not able to do so can use it when they come along later. if those that are able did that it would help everyone,

Whilst your busy thinking of yourself, some of us will make sure others can enjoy their boating, and we won't have to worry about you. Result.

See above. Not so selfish is it when the mooring I have cut can be used by someone else when I leave eh? If more folk do that it will benefit others who can't cut the towpath to moor. It's not all about CRT getting out the expensive mowers but helping each other and the canal by doing a bit ourselves.

Edited by churchward

This is slightly off topic- Our local council has reduced the frequency of mowing parks, to save money. The grass is a little longer and there's a few weeds, but the amount of gold finches and butterflies I've seen this week in the nearest park to me has been stunning.

At Kinver below the lock and the Vine pub there are good moorings for around twenty boats and all with rings. Why on earth is this whole stretch though 24hour? Kinver has wonderful walks and the Rock houses looked after by the National Trust. The walk to the hill top has great views. You need a bit more time to explore the place. Mind you the veg has been cleared!

You were saying it was not all about Dhutch and his view which of course is true but it is not all about the folk who want it all cut edge to hedge either it is not just Dhutch that holds the opinion he was explaining.

I mean there has to be a balance between natural growth and cut moorings. If folk (like Dhutch and myself) cut a patch when we moor someone else who is not able to do so can use it when they come along later. if those that are able did that it would help everyone,

See above. Not so selfish is it when the mooring I have cut can be used by someone else when I leave eh? If more folk do that it will benefit others who can't cut the towpath to moor. It's not all about CRT getting out the expensive mowers but helping each other and the canal by doing a bit ourselves.

Once an area gets to a badly overgrown state, people tend to not moor there. This after a while leads to silt building up, which eventually will stop even you from getting close enough to get off.

Then crt will be using their expensive dredging machines more often, unless of course your now going to fit a mini digger to the front of your boat.

It's all swings and roundabouts, no one is asking for a lawn, that's just Some looking for a way to justify their argument.

I'm rather busy working on a couple of boats at the moment, could you nip round and see to the towpath near me please.

Then crt will be using their expensive dredging machines more often, unless of course your now going to fit a mini digger to the front of your boat.

Don't be daft no one is talking about dredging ourselves that is a different matter entirely. I am talking about trimming and cutting back to moor a boat something I have done several times and in reply to your silly dig about it being selfish pointing out that someone else can use the mooring after me so it's not selfish at all. I am just saying more folk should carry some grass shears and the like and do a bit around them when they moor. If more did it will help everyone and particularly those who are not fit enough to do their own cutting.

It doesn't mean that CRT should give up maintaining the banks and hedging just that those that can could do their bit.

I'm rather busy working on a couple of boats at the moment, could you nip round and see to the towpath near me please.

You never know when I may be passing by but just in case you may want to do it yourself,laugh.png

Edited by churchward

Don't be daft no one is talking about dredging ourselves that is a different matter entirely. I am talking about trimming and cutting back to moor a boat something I have done several times and in reply to your silly dig about it being selfish pointing out that someone else can use the mooring after me so it's not selfish at all. I am just saying more folk should carry some crass shears and the like and do a bit around them when they moor. If more did it will help everyone and particularly those who are not fit enough to do their own cutting.

It doesn't mean that CRT should give up maintaining the banks and hedging just that those that can could do their bit.

laugh.png

Never seen someone pedal a bike backwards so fast.....

It's not all about mooring. Last year we left Stourport, a couple of miles later we picked a bike tyre around the prop, not that I knew what it was at that point, just that the boat was wandering all over the place and nasty banging sounds coming from the depths. We couldn't get into the side simply because the growth was so high and whilst I'm reasonably fit when you can't see what you might land on jumping is a mugs game. So we crawled on until we arrived at the next lock where we could get into the side and deal with the problem, by this time we had eight boats crawling along behind, as it wasn't wide enough or straight enough for anyone to pass safely. Everyone understood the problem we've all been there but a sensible maintenance programme would have allowed us to pull over straight away.

The issue is not universal the T&M always seems to be well maintained as does the other end of the S&W.

Ken

Last July we tried to walk along the towpath near Acton Trussel, the vegetation was head high and met the hedge leaving a 3 foot high tunnel a foot wide, big enough for a dog maybe but not two adults. It had been raining and the vegetation contained nettles and brambles, so basically impassable. This was over a 2 mile stretch Yes I don't need a lawn but over knee high is not really on, so good on them for cutting it.

Never seen someone pedal a bike backwards so fast.....

Ridiculous, would you like to point out which bit of my post you quoted was in any way back peddling? I have not said anything I didn't in the first place. I stand by my initial and subsequent posts. You just jumped in and assumed a point of view to suit your purpose.

I expect you are avoiding apologising for your own remark about my activity and post being selfish.

Still, I will leave it there in the interests of the thread. I sure you will wish to have the last word.

Edited by churchward

I have really mixed feelings about this. A bit of me likes manicured areas. A lot of me likes unkempt for wildlife, and to shut out the world. There is also part of me says,hey I can't handle the vegetation, then time I quit the canals. I also like completely overgrown towpaths, keeps the prams bikes etc at bay, even reduces dog pollution. CRT CANT WIN.

I have really mixed feelings about this. A bit of me likes manicured areas. A lot of me likes unkempt for wildlife, and to shut out the world. There is also part of me says,hey I can't handle the vegetation, then time I quit the canals. I also like completely overgrown towpaths, keeps the prams bikes etc at bay, even reduces dog pollution. CRT CANT WIN.

In a way we can have both in some areas particularly in or near towns it may (not always) be appropriate to be more manicured and at mooring hotspots. Then the remainder can have a lighter touch with wilder areas/stretches but maintenance of trees over hanging the cut and the like.

Actually it is not far off what we have now. I don't really see that there is much of a problem with too much overgrown areas or indeed over manicured areas either.

Edited by churchward

I agree I don't want an over mancured lawn for a towpath.

I dont have a manicured lawn for a lawn!

You must be able to see something in my post that is not available to me. I can't see the part where I said it was all about Stan.
If playing that game, I didn't say anything about it being all about me either....

On the flip side, you can't make the whole towpath up to lawn grade for every person and eventuality. The same way its not deep to the edges for a 3ft boat everywhere.

Daniel