Castleford boatyard

sewinglady

Featured Posts

I'm around that area next week, I'll have to have a nose around. Website looks so plausible

Do you really think so?

There ain't many fishing boats in Castleford for one thing....

Do you really think so?

There ain't many fishing boats in Castleford for one thing....

Agree, what is he going to do? Larkshall try rotating your pic to be taking seriously as I can't bend my neck without laughing, old people with a computer LOL

Looking at the OP's topics it looks like she had a GRP before and may of sold to buy another and as these people are the only GRP sellers in that area they may of seen her coming,

She is moored at Stanley Ferry and there is a large residential community there, surely she would of sought advice to the local brokerage's before buying.

Edited by Northernboater

Hi everyone,

Thanks (i think!) for you comments. Certainly didn't intend for anyone to fall out over my post.

Just to clarify a few things:

Yes, with hindsight, which is a wonderful thing, we should not have paid full amount up front.

Yes we are moored at Stanley Ferry and before we bought the boat we certainly did our homework. We spent about 5 months researching and viewing boats, including talking to boaters (and them letting us see inside their pride and joys),but as this post proves,everyone has their opinion as to what is right. We also went to Crick and read articles on't web.

Yes we had a GRP but wanted something bigger and with more power to get us onto the tidal rivers. We weighed up pros and cons of GRP v steel.

Finally decided on another GRP but wanted inboard engine as we were fed up having to find petrol stations near enough to carry cans back to boat (and storing).

After a lot of searching the boat at Cas seemed to fit the bill.

Plus, there are lots of boatyards that also sell boats, we have visited a few, are you telling me they are all dodgy? I am sure there must be some questionable brokers as well.

We now have another boat. So seriously skint now (should have called the boat this), so wave if you see us: Hurley Mist.

Will let you all know what outcome is.

By the way what does OP mean? old pensioner, old phull, old pisshead?

Edited by sewinglady

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

Has anyone had any adverse dealing with Castleford Boatyard owned by Shane Jones, It was previously known as supreme marine which his brother Damion owned.

I would be interested in hearing from you if you have been asked to pay money up front for work to be done or to buy a boat from them and then find that they drag their feet over getting the work done or even giving you the boat.

Anything you tell me will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Just read this today I am booked in for shotblasting and 2 pack etc I am staying with the boat so it shouldnt be a problem but other work needs doing which after reading this thread is worrying me. So tempted to cancel and rebook elsewhere will talk to Shane tomorrow and see what he has to say

PS I am not disbelieving you in fact I believe you completely which is a worry

Peter

Hi Peter

May I suggest Just don't pay any money up front,

That's a good thing about this forum, you get to hear good or bad about boating business, we then can be make uniformed and informed decisions.

The OP has seemed to be ripped off, whether she's gets her money back or not, dont look good does it?

What's your heart telling you, now the Brain?

Take care mt8y

Col

PS. Are all the photos on their website and video theirs as in that who they are??

As MJG said surely the fishing boats and harbour, and the smart engine belting along the sea?

What else relates to the boat yard??

Just read this today I am booked in for shotblasting and 2 pack etc I am staying with the boat so it shouldnt be a problem but other work needs doing which after reading this thread is worrying me. So tempted to cancel and rebook elsewhere will talk to Shane tomorrow and see what he has to say

Peter

I've sent you a PM Peter.

Peter

Hi i have sent you a PM

• 4 years later...

We've just had our narrowboat blacked at Castleford boat yard and they've done a fantastic job. They also included stream cleaning our canopy for free. Shane & Dave are lovely people with a wealth of boat knowledge and I would recommend their services to anybody. 

• Greenie 1

• 4 years later...
On 15/07/2019 at 16:03, kcbfamily said:

We've just had our narrowboat blacked at Castleford boat yard and they've done a fantastic job. They also included stream cleaning our canopy for free. Shane & Dave are lovely people with a wealth of boat knowledge and I would recommend their services to anybody. 

Very strange that the only comment from this user is this one. Wouldn't happen to be a shill, perhaps?

had to look that up 

shill in American English

1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc. 2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty. intransitive verb.

if it was it wasn't very successful as there have been no more posts for 4 years.... 

On 12/09/2023 at 09:43, jonathanA said:

had to look that up 

shill in American English

1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc. 2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty. intransitive verb.

if it was it wasn't very successful as there have been no more posts for 4 years.... 

I wonder how many members have taken their boat there in the past 4 years

On 02/06/2015 at 19:09, MJG said:

Not on your particular subject but I only ever tried to use them twice and found them particularly unhelpful. Once when needing what really should have been a relatively easy to obtain small part for the boat and another when I called in for diesel to discover they no longer stocked it even though their web site stated they did.

I think it was probably Shane I dealt with on both occasions.

I think I had similar. High level of grumpiness.

On 08/06/2015 at 08:49, peterboat said:

You are right Col I will let you know how it goes after I have spoken to him today

Cheers

Peter

Will you mention the OPs complaint?

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think I had similar. High level of grumpiness.

Will you mention the OPs complaint?

It was 8 years ago! In the end the job went well apart from a compressor delivered by speedy hire that was knackered! The second one was ok, but the driver removed the wall when leaving! Also a batch of glass was damp on delivery and destroyed the nozzle! I collected both glass and nozzle as a favour, because Shane and Dave were to busy, they took my cost off the bill so no issues. Have returned 3 times since with no issues