Fire extinguisher

Ricco1

Featured Posts

One of the fire extinguishers on my day hire boat is showing a little low on the guage, I plan to replace it. Could anyone point me to the regulations so I ensure I have the right number, size and type? If there are no specific regulations, perhaps someone knowledgeable could suggest what I may need:

Cabin 8 foot long with 4 burner gas cooker, then a slightly smaller toilet with wash basin.

Thanks.

One of the fire extinguishers on my day hire boat is showing a little low on the guage, I plan to replace it. Could anyone point me to the regulations so I ensure I have the right number, size and type? If there are no specific regulations, perhaps someone knowledgeable could suggest what I may need:

Cabin 8 foot long with 4 burner gas cooker, then a slightly smaller toilet with wash basin.

Thanks.

Do you come under different requirements for hire boats ? If it passed its last BSC with those extinguishers why not just replace like with like rating wise.

Do you come under different requirements for hire boats ? If it passed its last BSC with those extinguishers why not just replace like with like rating wise.

Thanks I would imagine there are different requirements, but I'm struggling to find out what they are. The last BSC was done some time ago, I bought the boat fairly recently. I'd rather upgrade if necessary rather than hoping that the previous owner hasn't changed the stock since then. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks I would imagine there are different requirements, but I'm struggling to find out what they are. The last BSC was done some time ago, I bought the boat fairly recently. I'd rather upgrade if necessary rather than hoping that the previous owner hasn't changed the stock since then. Just to be on the safe side.

Assuming you are keeping the same examiner, which is always a good idea seeing how he passed it last time, give him a ring and ask him.

George ex nb Alton retired

Assuming you are keeping the same examiner, which is always a good idea seeing how he passed it last time, give him a ring and ask him.

Cheers George that was my first thought but I can't find the certificate. Maybe I'll bell Paul/ Mike and ask them.

The set up seems a bit strange. There are 2 medium sized ones in the cabin, where the cooker is, then a huge one in the toilet, where there are no gas appliances.

Cheers George that was my first thought but I can't find the certificate. Maybe I'll bell Paul/ Mike and ask them.

The set up seems a bit strange. There are 2 medium sized ones in the cabin, where the cooker is, then a huge one in the toilet, where there are no gas appliances.

In case the stop foe a lunch time curry.

Try this

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/non-private-boats/part-6-fire-prevention-extinguishing-equipment/location-of-fire-fighting-equipment/

It isn't necessarily a good thing to have your extinguisher immediately at the point where the fire will be. If it all goes up, you can't get to the extinguisher to use it!

AIUI BSS requirements are based on length of boat (not cabin size so a 70' joey boat with 8' cabin still needs three extingushers),

and the A & B ratings must add up to specified values, this can be achieved with 3 off 1Kg dry powder extingushers (not all 1Kg are

compliant), however personally I prefer 2Kg ones, It is also worth examining all your existing extingushers for a manufactured date/

service date, as once they are over a certain age your BSS examiner can ask for documentary evidence that they have been

checked by a reputable company - it may be easier to just replace the lot. Many chandleries seem to offer a discount on a full set

(3 extingushers & a blanket) and Midland C. are also now doing part-ex on your old extinguishers - presumably they get them re-certified.

springy

The latest thinking (as explained in one of the seminars at crick boat show) 3 x 1Kg foam and bonus of 1 x 2Kg on the basis that its easier to clean up afterwards if you manage to put the fire out than powder. Also an alternative way of getting fire extinguisher nozzle into engine bay than lifting the lid.

.............. Also an alternative way of getting fire extinguisher nozzle into engine bay than lifting the lid.

Why would you need alternative access to an engine fire ?

Surely your automatic extinguisher in the engine room will 'sort it out'

At under £40 you know it makes sense

auto-2-fr-180.jpg

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/2kg-automatic-fire-extinguisher.html?gclid=CjwKEAjws5CrBRD8ze702_2dyjYSJAAAJK9yKv3ml-Ghy7O-mQZ28uD2XiNeRygX1dD8762YJWoP9RoCTBfw_wcB

The important thing to look at is the set of numbers on the extinguisher as A and B. Do be certain that these add up to whatever your boat paperwork says they should, or even a little more. Not all extinguishers are the same and it's the fine design details that make up the fine tuning of the A and B numbers.

According to the engine bay itself I'd prefer a CO2 supply in there as an engine filled with foam or powder may not ever start again. However at the moment IIRC CO2 doesn't count to the AB number count for BSS.

I think foam would need to be a minimum of 2 liters each to get the 5A/34B rating at probably over £20 a piece.

According to the engine bay itself I'd prefer a CO2 supply in there as an engine filled with foam or powder may not ever start again. However at the moment IIRC CO2 doesn't count to the AB number count for BSS.

But you can have it in addition to the rest surly.

auto-2-fr-180.jpg

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/2kg-automatic-fire-extinguisher.html?gclid=CjwKEAjws5CrBRD8ze702_2dyjYSJAAAJK9yKv3ml-Ghy7O-mQZ28uD2XiNeRygX1dD8762YJWoP9RoCTBfw_wcB

I think the presenter was talking about those few boats that still don't have one of those biggrin.png

I think the presenter was talking about those few boats that still don't have one of those biggrin.png

That's my point - for the sake of a 'few pounds' I cannot understand why anyone would not have one (either powder, HFC, or Co2).

I have seen a few boats without them, but, like life jackets, anchors and insurance, surely they are 'peace of mind' that you hope never to have to use.

The old Halon ones have been replaced by HFC, so no mess (powder or foam) to clean up

http://www.mfs-fire-extinguishers.co.uk/fm200.htm

Edited by Alan de Enfield

auto-2-fr-180.jpg

A better alternative is the version using FE36 rather than dry powder. More expensive but less messy.

Firetrace do automatic extinguishing systems that use a pressurised plastic tube connected to the extinguisher. When the tube melts, the extinguishing agent is released near the seat of the fire. I fitted one on a large boat, running the tube close to the engine, generator, inverter and other electrical items.

While I do understand that the AB ratings need to add up for BSS, I'd recommend getting a water mist extinguisher (perhaps instead of one of your A extinguishers) and using it first. They work on any fire type apart from metal fires (magnesium, lithium and the like) extremely quickly and leave very little mess. We use them at work in a building with very high conservation requirements where you don't want to be dusting powder or foam off oil paintings.

You can use them on chip pans, engine rooms, electrical fires and the standard wood/paper/fabric fires. They're also cheap to refill because the charge is simply water (and I think CO2 propellant).

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/water-mist-extinguishers

While I do understand that the AB ratings need to add up for BSS, I'd recommend getting a water mist extinguisher (perhaps instead of one of your A extinguishers) and using it first. They work on any fire type apart from metal fires (magnesium, lithium and the like) extremely quickly and leave very little mess. We use them at work in a building with very high conservation requirements where you don't want to be dusting powder or foam off oil paintings.

You can use them on chip pans, engine rooms, electrical fires and the standard wood/paper/fabric fires. They're also cheap to refill because the charge is simply water (and I think CO2 propellant).

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/water-mist-extinguishers

You cant use it instead of because each of your extinguishers must have the minimum AB rating, it would be in addition to. The site you gave doesn't list the rating that I could see.

It is normal practice for extinguishers on hire boats to be inspected annually.

I would hope they inspect them on every turn round to make sure the pirates had not been playing with them.

The fire extinguishers have to certified by a BSS approved manufacturer/supplier.

The present list consists of Afnor 'NF' mark, Aparagz Belcert, BSI 'kitemark', British Approvals for For Equipment 'BAFE', Marine Equipment Directive 'Ships Wheel', Loss Prevention Certification Board 'LPCB', Societe General De Surveillance 'SGS'.

The fire extinguishers have to certified by a BSS approved manufacturer/supplier.

You would have thought so. wouldn't you.

We have just purchased a new 'Sea Boat' which will also be used on the Trent, part of the purchase agreement was that it would have a new BSS.

It has Belgium manufactured fire extinguishers, without pressure gauges, and had an expiry date of 2012, and non of the markings you state are required.

Of course that would be an automatic fail - but no - it passed 'with flying colours'.

I have not looked to see if the fuel filters etc comply - but - 'hey ho' Its now got a BSS and a licence so why worry.

Another example to support the 'little faith' I have in the 'system'.

Water based fire extinguishers may need to be protected from frost.

True, but so does the water tank & calorifier.

When working I managed loads of projects that used water mist fire extinguishing systems, they are effective and make minimal mess. Their output is similar to a heavy fog.

I spoke to one manufacturer about making a system suitable for boats, but they weren't interested as their market was data centres and art galleries.

Powder systems are very messy, the powder gets everywhere, meaning a major clean up and if it gets in a running engine the engine will require a major rebuild.

Are the water mist hand held extinguishers BSS approved yet? If so you will replace the powder extinguishers on my bote with them.

auto-2-fr-180.jpg

It depends on what sort of boating you do and where. When we crossed the channel with our barge we had a minor fire in the engine room in the middle of one of the shipping lanes. We were able to put it out with a halon extinguisher (still legal at the time) and continue on our merry way. An automatic system would have stopped the engine leaving us totally out of control in the middle of one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.

So no, I don't think they are necessarily a good idea, £40 or not.

Tam