new sign on visitor moorings.

onionbargee

Featured Posts

CRT are putting up some new signs on visitor moorings. At least I haven't seen them before. " 2 days FREE mooring ".

Some were installed today above Soulbury three locks.

It begs the question do they intend to start charging ? Or have they forgot to take their meds again ?

Reverse psychology ?

1. Implying that you are getting something for free when your not, it's included in your license fee.

2. That the first instant outside of the "free" period is chargeable.

3. As a secondary implication is may motivate you to move on to another " free" mooring space/ area

Missed you Onion barge

We here at the three locks again

And yes they've put another 2 day free mooring post up.

I was saying to Ed, CRT chappie, why new posts, why not just the little plaque, apparently boaters are removing the posts, (firewood?) and they have to replace the whole lot. They have got more posts on order.

I've also be registered by CRT while next to fuel boat, apparently the friendly chap says there's 2 of them that cover MK to Ricky.

They have 2 weeks to cover this patch on their bikes.

Col

Edited by bigcol

Reverse psychology ?

1. Implying that you are getting something for free when your not, it's included in your license fee.

2. That the first instant outside of the "free" period is chargeable.

3. As a secondary implication is may motivate you to move on to another " free" mooring space/ area

Agree totally, I'm happy, As its free,it is a lovely spot,nice pub, lovely surroundings.

Enforcement officers are imputting overstayers and will be charged when next licence application is requested.

Col

Edited by bigcol

Missed you Onion barge

We here at the three locks again

And yes they've put another 2 day free mooring post up.

I was saying to Ed, CRT chappie, why new posts, why not just the little plaque, apparently boaters are removing the posts, (firewood?) and they have to replace the whole lot. They have got more posts on order.

I've also be registered by CRT while next to fuel boat, apparently the friendly chap says there's 2 of them that cover MK to Ricky.

They have 2 weeks to cover this patch on their bikes.

Col

But if it's 2 days before the charge don't they have to monitor daily? Or do they just check with the landlord?

What is the charge £? and who do you pay or is it a bill when licence due .

Will they be putting it out to tender and boats will be getting clamped .

Basically they are saying if you have the money then overstay wherever you want to ?

Does anyone know what legislation entitles CaRT to

• Limit the mooring time anywhere to less than 14 days?
  • Charge for mooring as a service (as opposed to applying the bylaws to impose an overstaying penalty)?

NB: I'm going to ask NigelMoore about this sooner or later, but I have some reading to do first (the Transport Act).

Note that I have no special objection to CaRT doing this kind of thing as a way to share "scarce resources" fairly. But the BW/CaRT legislation is imperfect (to be generous smile.png, and it's not obvious to me how it supports 48 hour mooring or winter mooring. It's not an easy topic to research though - perhaps I just need to work through one more piece of obtusely worded legislation.

Edited by Gordias

What is the charge £? and who do you pay or is it a bill when licence due .

Will they be putting it out to tender and boats will be getting clamped .

Basically they are saying if you have the money then overstay wherever you want to ?

Yup

It begs the question when is a 48 hour mooring not a 48 hour mooring?

In my opinion they should stipulate the number of overnight stays permitted, rather than hours or days.

However the above becomes a moot point unless short term (less than 14 days) moorings are patrolled daily.

Edited to add a missing worm.

Edited by cuthound

I have emailed the the canal and river twits but they usually take some time to answer. Wait out on that.

There are no clear time limit signs now at three locks, as far as I can see, so it is 14 days in my opinion. And I can't be charged unless I have entered a contract, or there are clear legally correct signs stating the fees, when they apply ect ect.

Edited by onionbargee

I have emailed the the canal and river twits but they usually take some time to answer. Wait out on that.

There are no clear time limit signs now at three locks, as far as I can see, so it is 14 days in my opinion. And I can't be charged unless I have entered a contract, or there are clear legally correct signs stating the fees, when they apply ect ect.

What is unclear about two days free?

I'm not.

What is unclear about two days free?

Nothing. That will be £42 please for the advice I have given you. It's part of the new contract I have drawn up

Richard

• Greenie 1

Was told by the 2 CRT friendly guys working hard putting in the posts

They are nicked, and first CRT know of it is when there's a post gone!

I thought the small plaques attached by 4 screws would be taken,

but the generous thick posts are nicked,the whole lot!

I presume, so did others that it be used for burning

If the posts are not their on display to mores, folks could be charged not realising it's only 2 days?

Col

Edited by bigcol

Was told by the 2 CRT friendly guys working hard putting in the posts

They are nicked, and first CRT know of it is when there's a post gone!

I thought the small plaques attached by 4 screws would be taken,

but the generous thick posts are nicked,the whole lot!

I presume, so did others that it be used for burning

If the posts are not their on display to mores, folks could be charged not realising it's only 2 days?

Col

Hmm, "CRT Friendly guys" - obviously not boaters then... :)

I thought they'd already answered this one when there was a lot of debate last year on reducing visitor hours at eg Stoke Buerne etc? But the answer was somewhat vague, relying on the Transport Act 1962 allowing them to charge for pretty much anything they perceive as a "service". It will be interesting what they come up with if/when pressed again, and also if they'll try to enforce the charge if the area isn't signed properly, eg from vandalism.

It must be pointed out though, that vandalism in removing the signs/posts is wrong and cannot be condoned. I guess its effective direct action though.

There are 3 posts, one of which is a replacement post with no signs on it at the moment.

but the other 2 have got the signs on

2 Days free mooring

Col.

Have taken pics, but I missed a great picture opportunity, saw a big German Shepard cocking his leg on it.!!