A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

At long last, and after near 2 week of faffing with bit n bobs, they take so long i can start to do the wiring and lining out. I have been looking into getting a canopy made, we was going to make out own as T can sew and we have a machine but it needs to look spot on as i think it will make or break the boats looks, not just break the bank, average price was £1300 for a canopy to be fitted. We have been debating if a canopy is worth it or needed, that money could go to getting it fitted out and water ready but for an engine which will be sorted by launch time. Last time we chatted we decided a canopy is best, better for all year round use and for cruising when the weather turns bad.

So but for the rest of the fender eyes being fitted and a few bits n bobs nothing more done as i need to trim the lockers wiht the ally profile and it is to wet to use the sikalflex. This weekend will have it done aswell as a little more laminating in the bow all ready wireup :)

20161026_170042.jpg

You need a taller ladder matey so you can finish off the primer :-)

lol kida, will hire a cherry picker for ease ;) gutted i cant paint it yet, well with no risk of it messing up. Good paint this Jotun but still.

You need a taller ladder matey so you can finish off the primer :-)

lol kida, will hire a cherry picker for ease ;) gutted i cant paint it yet, well with no risk of it messing up. Good paint this Jotun but still.

• 2 weeks later...

Not good being back at work, get little done :( Little done, but what has been done, all counts though.

I sealed around the top edge of the top strake with Sikalflex 291i, This just double;e measure to prevent leaks through the bolt holes. Easy job but messy as always with Sikaflex.

20161106_153204.jpg

I fitted the trim for the hatchs and then after a few days to set cleaned back, one again Sikaflex 291i.

20161106_153822.jpg

Then i thought i should finish of the wiring so i can line it out, Ah, well i would of but i ran out of wire. No big deal as there is still lots to do. I used 2mm for all the lighting and 3mm for the horn, search light and power points like TV and charge points for gadgets, yes i am not a gadget man but the grand kids are is so when the come the can charge there gadgets. aswell as T with her small lap top thingy.

The wiring is more than needed cross section wise but i would rather be safe than sorry, the volt drop at worst is 1.5% and that is for the horn and bilge pumps.

Wire dangling all over now,

20161106_152859.jpg

20161106_152914.jpg

20161106_153214.jpg

Forgot about this bit, last week i gave the area below the anchor locker four 650grm combo laminations to beef it up.

I got some insulation boards again the other day as i want to make Zig a kennel and also to insulate the bow as now there will be no bulkhead at the front. A new set out is planned which will show as i go.

Trouble is got the wrong thickness of board, what a plonker, so i could`nt insulate this area yet.

20161105_110233.jpg

One area i needed to do before i like out is the port hole fame and front windows. I started with the port hole, I have used 18mm marine ply to do a basic frame and this will be lined up to with the 6mm ply lining.

I had to remove all the bolts as they were to short to go through the 18mm ply frame. I need to seal this yet before i bolt it in properly.

20161106_150449.jpg

20161106_150516.jpg

But for that i have started to cut the lining out, a few sections for the bulkhead and two 8 foot section down the sides. I am using 6mm hardwood faced ply for the sides as it is better the fix to for the frame work for the seats/berths and heads/wet room.......i say wet room, i am trying to work out how to drain to a auto pump. I can find room in the bilge for a pump out unit so if i can find a good inline pump that will do.

It does feel good to be fitting it out at last, been a hell of a time to sort the rest out, and still more to do but that can be done in time when weather permits, the anchor locker needs finishing, and i need to stop faffing on what new cleats to get as the ones i have are not going to be up to the job really.

These are our cleats. We have six of them, two at the bow, two at the stern and two centre cleats.

http://www.seabridge-marine.com/deck_cleat_aluminium_8_,_10_,_12_/p2023673_9391524.aspx

They are fairly chunky but you can get plenty of rope on them. The stern cleats hold the 10mm stern rope and the 8mm stern fender line and still have plenty of cleat left for typing back onto when necessary or for boats rafting up.

Morning Rach, i like them, just expensive for us,

http://www.absoluteindustrial.co.uk/marine-c6/cleats-fairleads-c61/stainless-steel-horn-bollards-p446

i found these and still dear now, there are some others on that website that we are goig to chose from, T likes these. Very low price,

http://www.absoluteindustrial.co.uk/marine-c6/cleats-fairleads-c61/stainless-steel-four-hole-hollow-base-cross-end-low-flat-cleats-p392

i found these and still dear now, there are some others on that website that we are goig to chose from, T likes these. Very low price,

http://www.absoluteindustrial.co.uk/marine-c6/cleats-fairleads-c61/stainless-steel-four-hole-hollow-base-cross-end-low-flat-cleats-p392

I wouldn't use those personally. They are the same as what the US boats tend to be fitted with and they are just not big enough.

We have aluminium cleats,they seem to be lasting well.

Ours are aluminium from standard. They are 14 years old now and barring a mark in one of them, (not sure what it's from as it was there when we bought the boat at 5 years old) they are absolutely fine. They have been subjected to both fresh and salt water with no ill effects.

I cant go with ally, need polished SS to match the other fittings, yes i am being a girlie ;)

Think we are going for these, either

http://www.absoluteindustrial.co.uk/marine-c6/cleats-fairleads-c61/stainless-steel-horn-bollards-p446

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302126012701?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I cant go with ally, need polished SS to match the other fittings, yes i am being a girlie wink.png

Think we are going for these, either

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302126012701?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Both of those are things of beauty!

Both of those are things of beauty!

Ah but which ones is the quesion, same but different, i think the first ones. And at that cost thye should be nice. I paid that for the boat for four of them lol

Yep. first ones

Doen't matter what you paid for it. It's what someone else would pay for it now that matters

And there in lies the next problem.

Spending lots of money on a boat is just like throwing money down the drain. Adding stainless steel cleats will add exactly zero pounds to the value of the boat. rolleyes.gif

With mass produced boats they have a "set" price range. Adding lots of bells and whistles doesn't make them worth anymore, it just makes your pocket lighter.

We have this exact same issue with NC. For all the specification she has and all of the cash we have poured into her over the years, she has a ceiling price and will never be worth anymore then that. The best you can hope for is that the added extras make her more desirable to someone else when the time comes to sell.

With a project boat Rach ( morso ob this scale ) cost should and resale value is not a thought as other wise things will not be done. I have built this to how i want it, and infact it is no longer a Buckingham,

And cleats i am getting these SS ones, found the best price at more than £10 each less and at a lot at less than the ally ones you mentioned,at i think they were £47 each bargain ;)

http://www.gsproducts.co.uk/160mm-stainless-steel-horn-bollard-cleat/

We have this exact same issue with NC. For all the specification she has and all of the cash we have poured into her over the years, she has a ceiling price and will never be worth anymore then that. The best you can hope for is that the added extras make her more desirable to someone else when the time comes to sell.

Yes. It increases the saleability not the value

With a project boat Rach ( morso ob this scale ) cost should and resale value is not a thought as other wise things will not be done. I have built this to how i want it, and infact it is no longer a Buckingham,

And cleats i am getting these SS ones, found the best price at more than £10 each less and at a lot at less than the ally ones you mentioned,at i think they were £47 each bargain wink.png

http://www.gsproducts.co.uk/160mm-stainless-steel-horn-bollard-cleat/

Even with a project boat, in fact probably even more so, you still have to take into account the resale value.

Yes you are doing it for yourself, but at some point you will sell it on. You don't want to end up thousands out of pocket.

This is still a Buckingham 20, it will still sell as a Buckingham 20, albeit a heavily modified one (which it is worth noting some people whill shy away from which reduces your market) and will still only fetch what other Buckingham 20's are fetching.

That's the way that boat sales work unfortunately. Boats, much like houses have a ceiling price for each make and model.

ETA: Those cleats will look good on your boat.

The aluminium ones ours is fitted with were standard kit on the boat (and several other models) fitted by Sealine. I doubt they paid £47 each for them rolleyes.gif

Edited by Naughty Cal

spreaders....big enough smiley.png

These are the front cleats, the rear a a bit smaller as there isnt as much room, these are 10x5 inch and 3mm SS with 18mm marine ply, to be bedded down with Sikaflex 291i. i was going to use Fillite but Sikalfex is good enough, mite just have enough left smiley.png

20161113_115556.jpg

20161113_115615.jpg

So to finish the weekends, as you have seen the cleats spreaders were done, but still need to drill them out to 12mm for easier fitting, gives a bit of space for the M10 bolts.

I have not glued/fixed the lining panels in place as yet as i need a new foam gun and cleaner then i can fill the gaps behind the lining.

This is how i find small profiles when cutting curves or angles for the lining.

Here you can see where the panel is short, the top right, it is 25mm short so what i do is.

20161113_153655.jpg

20161113_153711.jpg

Small piece of 6mm ply, drill a hole that will take a marker tip, 6mm hole will do here. And as you can see the marker just protrudes through to the other side.

20161113_153434.jpg

20161113_153447.jpg

The push the ply against the top and run along giving the cut line you need. Cut away and hey ho. easy profile tool.

20161113_154207.jpg

Here as the sides are uneven due to the profile of the shell i decided to instead of using 25mm insulation board and have loads of cavities is to space out with hardwood and line out as wiht the usual ply, then drill a few 8mm holes and fill with expanding foam. holes every 4 or 6 inch will do the job, leave the hole open so then you can see that the foam has expaned properly. It has worked in the past for me, so should do again. just dont be shy on filling with foam.

20161113_160550.jpg

As far as i got this weekend, a few more panels are made for the galley side but much the same as here. Oh yes and al wiring is done but for the gunnel lights, we are going to fit two down either side but thse can wait for now as the wire will be run from the berth lights.

I continue to be impressed smile.png

And i continue to forget things, ;ole the last pic

20161113_161051.jpg

If i wasnt so forget full this would be finished by now, i can put things down mainly the tape measure, do something then forget where i left it. I can walk from the boat to the work shop, then forget what i went for and spend time thinking and retracing my thoughts on what i was doing.

I just put it down to having to much crammed in my head and no room left for thinking lol.

• Greenie 1