Losing gas am in Bugsworth any contacts

b0atman

Featured Posts

Dunno about RCR but I doubt it.

Try changing the gas bottle. It's not uncommon for the valve stem to leak. ISTR you are entitled to a free new (full) bottle if you get one with a leaking valve stem, but not certain on that.

Have you wiped all the joints with some diluted washing up liquid including the bottle connection and the bottle valve stem? I've had a couple of bottles leak round the valve.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add.....beaten by MtB!!

Edited by frangar

The bottle has done 21 days last one did 35 days I heard gas go out on morco so abandoned shower pretty quick.

I must buy a gas sniffer I believe fairy liquid is a nono for testing .

The bottle has done 21 days last one did 35 days I heard gas go out on morco so abandoned shower pretty quick.I must buy a gas sniffer I believe fairy liquid is a nono for testing .

I think washing up liquid is frowned on cos it may cause corrosion.....but in a emergency it's better than a bang IMHO!..... You could always wash the pipe afterwards with plain water

Cheers

Gareth

If you haven't smelled gas, chances are that the leak is in the gas locker and so yes, very likely either the bottle connection (are you using propane? I've known bottles where the seating isn't very good and they are hard to seal) or the valve itself.

Tim

Edit - sorry, just re-read the OP, but I'd still suspect the bottle connection if on propane.

Edited by Timleech

Off out now everything isolated so will parallel bottles tomorrow and do a bubble test on all joints NB alton will be heading this way so new bottle on purchase list.

I've noticed that bottles that are running out sometimes smell, maybe when the pressure drops right off something no longer seats / seals. Imagination? Dunno.

The bottle has done 21 days last one did 35 days I heard gas go out on morco so abandoned shower pretty quick.

I must buy a gas sniffer I believe fairy liquid is a nono for testing .

I am so pleased when I read posts like this..........I wouldnt have a clue how long my gas bottles last within a guess of between 1 and 3 months ish. When I bought this boat I received paperwork with it going back to the day it was built itemising every litre of diesel purchased at what location and date. I am happy to say this is now no longer the case biggrin.png

Tim

Smell of gas in locker nipped joints up but not cured any one know or can recommend someone in this area ?

Do RCR cover gas leaks ?

I'm more familiar with water leaks at Bugsworth.

Always clean the tail or regulator seating before fitting to new bottle. Also with cloth and little finger clean the female seating on the bottle.

When reconnecting the tail end or regulator to the new bottle, just tighten up by hand first and then turn the tail or regulator back and forth a few times, this should displace any specs of dirt on the seatings, then tighten up.

Think I may have found leak got bubbles on the pig tail connection into the reserve bottle which is turned off .

So main bottle on selector regulator choosing the main bottle & Isolating reserve also pigtails with leak preventer in all these obstacles overcome and gas escaped.

Hopefully cured problem I have followed Bizzards suggestion and fingers crossed cured leak.

Cheers all we need a trust a trade on this site .

Think I may have found leak got bubbles on the pig tail connection into the reserve bottle which is turned off .

So main bottle on selector regulator choosing the main bottle & Isolating reserve also pigtails with leak preventer in all these obstacles overcome and gas escaped.

Hopefully cured problem I have followed Bizzards suggestion and fingers crossed cured leak.

Cheers all we need a trust a trade on this site .

This pigtail is still connected into a bottle I hope. It is considered unsafe to leave a pigtail lying loose and unconnected when the other pigtail is connected to a gas bottle, whether it is turned ON of OFF.

The non-return valve inside the Pol connector on the pigtail cannot be relied upon...

No worries mike .

Pigtails I always shut both bottles off when replacing a bottle .

I think the single regulator is the way to go as directional valve on change over switch must be passing.

I've often wondered why propane connectors have to have that metal to metal seal which must be more leak prone than one with a soft seal. Does propane rot neoprene or nitrile?

I see the caravan shop site has a propane pigtail with a hand wheel and soft nose: http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/gas-fittings/pigtail-connectors/propane-pigtail-with-handwheel/prod_946.htmlThat would be so much easier than faffing around with a spanner...

I've often wondered why propane connectors have to have that metal to metal seal which must be more leak prone than one with a soft seal. Does propane rot neoprene or nitrile?

I see the caravan shop site has a propane pigtail with a hand wheel and soft nose: http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/gas-fittings/pigtail-connectors/propane-pigtail-with-handwheel/prod_946.htmlThat would be so much easier than faffing around with a spanner...

I fitted those to Alderbaran a couple of years ago when they first came out thinking much the same, but I'd try them out before drawing attention to them on here.

They are NOT as easy to use as they look. Yes they have a nitrile cone seal that looks more secure than the brass cones normally used but they need doing up feckin' tight to make them gas tight. Not easy when you can't use a spanner on them!

My second criticism is that they don't alwsys fit the little 3.5kG propane bottles. The black plastic handwheel for tightening them fouls the bottle body proper on about 50% of the bottle refills I buy. I've had to file the points off handwheels on mine down in order to use them. (Aldebaran has a stupidly low profile bow and the gas locker isn't high enough to accept proper gas bottles ggrrrrr......)

hand%20wheel.jpg

P.S. I got mine from bes.ltd.uk

It is Mike, if the actual seal is leaking.

Belt & Braces etc.

M

Really not a good idea. Find out why the seal is leaking and fix that. If you go down the belt and braces route, where do you stop.!

It is Mike, if the actual seal is leaking.

Belt & Braces etc.

M

Sorry – Mike is right. You can seal the threads but gas will leak between the retaining nut and the tube that passes through it. I've had people insist that PTFE tape will be effective, so let them get on with it and discover they were wrong.

Make sure the socket is clean, tighten up the nut by hand until you can only just rotate the regulator, move it from side to side to seat the cone in the socket and nip up the nut. It will usually be leakproof without much tightening. Propane is easy. Hydrogen and helium cylinders at 200 bar are more of a challenge.