Help with CCTV installation

Rambling

Featured Posts

Can anyone point me in the direction of a company who will install 12v CCTV system on my boat. I thought I had found a wireless one but it takes an Ethernet cable into my router, and it doesn't have one. I am a live aboard and the boat has twice been broken into

Do I have to have it connected to Internet and is it going eat data. I was thinking more of one that records straight to a disc like a per many go pro thing with 2 /3 cameras.

I don't really have a clue and want someone to work it all out for me and install it. :))

Being broken into is horrible, violating etc but I think you need to decide exactly what you want to achieve with a CCTV system.

Is it to be able to identify a thief to police? Doesn't stop you getting broken into though.

Is it to act as a deterrent? Trouble is whilst with a house, you can mount the camera high up out of reach, this is hard to do on a boat. If I was a burglar first thing I would do is to out a bag over any cameras within reach. Ok you could put a camera inside but any burglar worth his salt is going to steal the recording equipment too. However you can get motion sensitive cameras that send a still picture (or series of pictures) over the Internet when motion is detected.

To notify you that a break in is in progress? In which case a normal burglar alarm that sends a text message to your phone might be a better option.

I'm just saying have a clear idea of what you are trying to achieve and what you want it to do, before shelling out any money.

Yes I think to notify me if there is a break in, to act as a deterrent and to gather evidence. I suppose the idea of being able to check on the boat and call the police as it happens is comforting.

I do have trees above the boat that I might be able to mount a camera on, though if it were motion sensitive I suppose it would go off all the time.

. The problem with the sending text thing is the Internet access. Although I do have a modem it doesn't have an Ethernet port to connect the camera base to the net.

Maybe jus

. The problem with the sending text thing is the Internet access. Although I do have a modem it doesn't have an Ethernet port to connect the camera base to the net.

Maybe jus

Does it have WiFi? You can get cameras that connect over wifi.

ok I think I am starting to get it. That one with the smart phone sounds good.

I have also found this. Can anyone see any downside to this??

think this just records to hard disc and doesn't require my modem to text or contact me any movement. (I think). But it looks like it might be suitable and not require 240v.

http://m.spycameracctv.com/products/wireless-dvr-infra-red-day-night-camera-sdcard-slot#

I presume this is for viewing after the event , rather than being notified during.

Edited by Rambling

All I'd say is that CCTV is no magic shield. It has to be top quality or it's pretty much useless. You might get a reasonable picture when standing in front of the camera in broad daylight but once the "perp" is hiding his face, staying in shadow and moving fast - you need excellent equipment to stand a chance of producing anything worth having in court.

How about using a "dash cam" - 12v, records to SD card, will automatically overwrite the oldest

recording when the card is full, don't know if they can do motion sensing, but probably small

enough to hide in a cupboard with just a hole for the lens,

springy

My two penneth

I think any form of cctv will be easy for said vermin to override. You are a liveaboard and so are we and have found over our many years that a dog, preferably large with big teeth that doesnt bark until the scum has entered the boat is the best solution, or even a dog that barks tends to scare vermin off as they are invariably cowards after all. Of course if you cannot get to the boat every day or are away more than just a few hours this is not feasable. If you are not a dog lover then of course you should not be allowed a boat laugh.png

Tim

My two penneth

I think any form of cctv will be easy for said vermin to override. You are a liveaboard and so are we and have found over our many years that a dog, preferably large with big teeth that doesnt bark until the scum has entered the boat is the best solution, or even a dog that barks tends to scare vermin off as they are invariably cowards after all. Of course if you cannot get to the boat every day or are away more than just a few hours this is not feasable. If you are not a dog lover then of course you should not be allowed a boat laugh.png

Tim

Worked for us with I suspect Mr finch in Braunston, Someone opened the rear slide and looked down at 4 eyes looking back up.

Worked for us with I suspect Mr finch in Braunston, Someone opened the rear slide and looked down at 4 eyes looking back up.

ohmy.png Bloody awesome......what kind of dog is that......I want one with four eyes now........must be well scary biggrin.png

Tim

You can get something to spray or paint on to surfaces which are, to the naked eye invisible. It's called 'data dot dna' . We were given some by a crime prevention officer, but I think you can buy a kit. It comes with a warning notice, advising any would be criminal that stolen items are marked. The claim is that low-life are deterred from stealing your property and move on to easier pickings as the items, if recovered can be identified as stolen property and the 'supply chain' can be identified.

ohmy.png Bloody awesome......what kind of dog is that......I want one with four eyes now........must be well scary biggrin.png

Tim

There were also 4 ears but I doubt he saw them, he may have noticed two sets of gnashes as well. He didn't stop to close the slide.

Ok lots to consider here. I thought the camera would be better higher up like even on an a ariel pole, but if they are at face level, presumably a quick coat over them and then taking them renders them useless. I have also seen bird box cameras that might be hidden. If you had one visible and one invisible???.

I can't really have a dog due to work, but I think this is the best idea long term. But in the mean time, I just want deterrents really and perhaps better security locks.

Edited by Rambling

My two penneth

I think any form of cctv will be easy for said vermin to override. You are a liveaboard and so are we and have found over our many years that a dog, preferably large with big teeth that doesnt bark until the scum has entered the boat is the best solution, or even a dog that barks tends to scare vermin off as they are invariably cowards after all. Of course if you cannot get to the boat every day or are away more than just a few hours this is not feasable. If you are not a dog lover then of course you should not be allowed a boat :lol:

Tim

My two penneth

I think any form of cctv will be easy for said vermin to override. You are a liveaboard and so are we and have found over our many years that a dog, preferably large with big teeth that doesnt bark until the scum has entered the boat is the best solution, or even a dog that barks tends to scare vermin off as they are invariably cowards after all. Of course if you cannot get to the boat every day or are away more than just a few hours this is not feasable. If you are not a dog lover then of course you should not be allowed a boat :lol:

Tim

If you don't live on the boat, or do not want a dog, you could use one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=barking+dog+sensor&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=28751147768&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3415618670199251471&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_4svv7dxiqd_b

:o Bloody awesome......what kind of dog is that......I want one with four eyes now........must be well scary :D

Tim

Maybe a myopic one wearing glasses? :)

As you live on the boat, why do you think you need a CCTV camera?

Do you moor in a very "unsafe" area?
Has there been lots of break-ins where you are?

Are there other lived on boats moored by you?
Do you leave your boat for long periods?

Are you possibly looking for a solution to a problem that isn't there?

As you live on the boat, why do you think you need a CCTV camera?

Do you moor in a very "unsafe" area?

Has there been lots of break-ins where you are?

Are there other lived on boats moored by you?

Do you leave your boat for long periods?

Are you possibly looking for a solution to a problem that isn't there?

If you read the OP you will see that she has had 2 breakins.