I find myself in the unusual position

kris88

Featured Posts

I find myself in the unusual position of needing to prove where I am in the sorting out of new stern gear&instalation of a new engine /gearbox.

This is on my boat MEDLOCK (A41) 76914, an 83year old Leeds and Liverpool short boat, that I stopped getting scrapped about 3 years ago.

This is due to continually being phoned by representatives of crt, threatened with court action and taking my home from me. I've informed the enforcement team, to communicate with me in writing, rather than keep phoning me and verbally threatening me. During this process although I continually invite them, no one from the enforcement team has been to have a look at the boat.

I intend to post photos here to prove where I'm at in the process. To that end im making the relevant parties aware of this thread.

NOTE TO MODS..

Please place this thread in the appropriate section. If this thread should get derailed could you please leave this first post with the photos. As I intend to use this as a digital record of the ongoing process of renovation.

I'm also posting this thread hoping for advice from people,about dealing with the situation I find myself in.

Regards kris.

So to explaining the situation from my side.

Let me start by saying it has taken me a lot longer than I had anticipated to get to this stage, but as I'm finding out that's boats especially big old boats.

I've been broken down stationery from around July last year. I informed crt of the situation, before overstaying.Ihave been fixing my boat since, I should point out at this stage that when I broke down, I had very little funds, so I've earnt the money to fix my boat as well as doing the work.

To be fair crt have been reasonable up until, the enforcement officer rang me almost demanding (well with the threat of "getting a letter")that I take a winter mooring. So I pointed out that I didn't have the money to both pay for a winter mooring and fix my boat. I asked "which do you want me to do," since this point it seems the hassle seems to have begun.

B7516774-2BEC-43AC-9551-C074CD1728B3_zps

This is a picture of the old bearings, along side the new bronze going to make the bushes. I removed the old bearings 10 days ago at the local dry dock. The bronze arrived on Friday. I took it all to the machine shop yesterday, he's doing it as a favour so hopefully will have the bearing back with the new bushes soon. I don't have my own transport so rely on the good will of friends for lifts with things.

43B4431F-0445-4E14-81C6-1F6E2F1183C0_zps

These are the new drive plate, half coupling and flexi coupling ( I don't want to even think how much these have cost)

79D19E48-433B-44F2-9737-12EECF180876_zps

This is the old prop and shaft next to the new one, the new shaft has gone to the machine shop to be shortened slightly and have a key way cut into it. When the new bearings and propshaft come back I can book into the local drydock ( when they have available space) and fit all the new stern gear.

FB74FBF3-E5F7-41C3-B194-A5A70A3AFC19_zps

This is the empty engine hole, waiting for the new engine,(needs cleaning before then.) You can see the piece of wood and oily rag that's keeping the water out at the moment, believe me I'd want to get a proshaft back in as soon as possible

8CC831B4-2F2B-4B12-833B-143F1E137ABD_zps

This is the back deck, waiting for the new engine that hopefully I'm picking up tmw. I also fitted the hiab for lifting the old engine out and the new one in.

So that's where I'm at with it, at the moment.

Can I just say to any crt management or enforcement officers reading this. I'm very sorry it has taken me this long to get my boat sorted. But hopefully as you can see it is happening. As soon as able this boat will be moving in accordance with its licence conditions. Your welcome to come and verify these photos in person by appointment.

Regards kris

This is today's update some pictures of the new engine, well the new engine to me. Sat on my back deck, as they say a bit at a time.

06812C7C-C9CE-480F-98CA-6A881AC47D6E_zps

And another one

B8654883-CBFE-421D-ABF1-365FBA2CCD28_zps

Regards kris

Edited by kris88
  • Greenie 1

The facts, then, are that you have greatly overstayed on a visitor mooring. Now, either you pay for your legal obligations (winter mooring) or pay to remove the need for one, by fixing the engine. I'm not judging, but an impersonal CRT employee would only be able to see that you are breaking the rules.

You may find a CRT employee with a bit more compassion, but the overstay has been so lengthy that you are asking somebody you don't know to condone your rule breaking. They will have to take it to a more senior level, so you want a compassionate manager to deal with it. Good luck with that.

Another view might be that there is nothing to prevent you getting your home towed to an acceptable location.

Sorry for your predicament but, you know the rules and you have not complied, for a very long time, so now it is time to pay.

If you lived in a rented accommodation due you think you would still be in residence, of course not.

• Greenie 1

Hi Kris, I think it's really good that you're putting so much effort into keeping the old girl floating but boy are you sailing close to the wind. I can quite understand why CRT are getting arsey. You need a mate who can tow you around from time to time. Good luck tho'

I can see CRT's point. They know you have taken on a boat that needs a lot of work done on it yet you don't have a home mooring. You ought to have at least taken a winter mooring then they may have been more understanding. I think you are a brave man taking on this project but I do think you are doing it without fully understanding the implications. Personally I think it nigh on impossible to take on this size of project and stay within the rules without a home mooring and I'm sure CRT are thinking similar.

Edited as collided with Nick who has said similar to me.

Edited by bigste

If you are looking for sympathy for your situation it is unlikely to come from here.

You have greatly overstayed on a 14 day mooring. A maintenance project such as you have taken on is not an excuse for not moving. You know the obligations surrounding CCing. In your situation it was never going to be the right choice. You need to get a mooring until the boat is fixed.

A temporary breakdown is one thing, and ongoing project something completely different.

IMO CRT have been very fair letting you get away with it for so long already.

• Greenie 1

It appears we are all a bunch of cynical old realists who recognise where the line is between right and wrong, and more especially, the border between grey and wrong, and kris has crossed it.

And we'd all prefer the continuing existence of a grey area just in case we ever break down in an inconvenient spot, but that isn't what has happened here.

Kris, are there no long-term moorings available in your area? If there are, the simplest and least confrontational course of action would be for you to take one of them and tie the boat up there. Then you could take as long as you needed to effect your rebuild without having to look nervously over your shoulder.

I realise that your boat would need to be towed to a long-stay mooring, but that's not an impossible task.

I find myself in the unusual position of needing to prove where I am in the sorting out of new stern gear&instalation of a new engine /gearbox.

This is on my boat MEDLOCK (A41) 76914, an 83year old Leeds and Liverpool short boat, that I stopped getting scrapped about 3 years ago.

This is due to continually being phoned by representatives of crt, threatened with court action and taking my home from me. I've informed the enforcement team, to communicate with me in writing, rather than keep phoning me and verbally threatening me. During this process although I continually invite them, no one from the enforcement team has been to have a look at the boat.

I intend to post photos here to prove where I'm at in the process. To that end im making the relevant parties aware of this thread.

So to explaining the situation from my side.

Let me start by saying it has taken me a lot longer than I had anticipated to get to this stage, but as I'm finding out that's boats especially big old boats.

I've been broken down stationery from around July last year. I informed crt of the situation, before overstaying.Ihave been fixing my boat since, I should point out at this stage that when I broke down, I had very little funds, so I've earnt the money to fix my boat as well as doing the work.

To be fair crt have been reasonable up until, the enforcement officer rang me almost demanding (well with the threat of "getting a letter")that I take a winter mooring. So I pointed out that I didn't have the money to both pay for a winter mooring and fix my boat. I asked "which do you want me to do," since this point it seems the hassle seems to have begun.

Can I just say to any crt management or enforcement officers reading this. I'm very sorry it has taken me this long to get my boat sorted. But hopefully as you can see it is happening. As soon as able this boat will be moving in accordance with its licence conditions. Your welcome to come and verify these photos in person by appointment.

Kris,

clearly, you and I have very different views on a number of things, and as such you probably expect a less than sympathetic response from me! I hope that my response is measured though.

Firstly, you don't find yourself in an unusual position. Another boater has recently asserted that CRT were harrasing him in a breakdown situation. Your situations are similar, but not identical.

On the one hand, you have been imobile for far longer. The rules are fairly simple, namely cruise or get a mooring, and you cannot simply dump the problem of lack of funds onto CRT. It isn't their problem.

On the other hand, you do appear to accept that you don't have a god-given right to stay put and you recognise that you need to get this sorted.

It is easy to say "look Kris, this was never an option. You can't decide that you are going to be a CCer and then embark on a major refurb that will require you to remain moored for months", or "you should have taken a Winter Mooring, you wouldn't have been doing much work then anyway and it would have given you two bites of the cherry before CRT lost patience" but you are where you are.

You characterise what CRT are doing as hassling you and threatening you, and you would rather they just wrote to you. The problem is that writing to you isn't going to be effective. You don't want CRT to phone, because you don't have an answer to their questions. If they write, are you going to sit down and think of answers and respond to them? In all probability you wouldn't. "Write to me" probably means "I want to ignore this, and it is easier to ignore if I don't have to talk to you in person".

CRT are not on the phone NOW (we assume), so sit down and come up with your plan today.

Realistically, when do you expect to be in a position where you can move again (not finish the job, but be in a position to move). Don't go for any rash claims of being able to work miracles, but don't imagine that "it will take as long as it takes" will pass muster. Accept that unless your timescales are less than a couple of months, you have exhausted even the most generous interpretation of "reasonable", and that you will need to take a mooring.

Now, write down what your plan is for getting moving again, and send it to CRT. Acknowledge that they have been very reasonable and that you are asking a lot of them. Show them that you are serious about resolving this, and ask them for their agreement. Suggest that you have no wish to remain moored in the same place, and suggest that if they are passing, you would love a tow to another location as convenient to them. Invite them to telephone or to visit to discuss. Offer to meet them at the office to discuss. Prove to them that you want to be moving as much as they want you to be moving.

By all means explain that money has delayed you getting on with this, but don't try to make that their problem, because it isn't their problem.

• Greenie 2

Kriss,

Where are you? Are you on the Northern waterways?

Is there any way you could get your boat towed to Pollington. Our long term mooring is sat empty but paid for up to 17th may 2015. That might buy you some time if I can arrange with the moorings manager for you to use it (FOC) until then.

Let me know if this would help.

Edited by MJG

Kriss,

Is there any way you could get your boat towed to Pollington. Our long term mooring is sat empty but paid for up to 17th may 2015. That might buy you some time if I can arrange with the moorings manager for you to use it (FOC) until then.

A generous offer MJG nice of you to propose a practical solution.

An alternative possibility may be for a few local CWF members to offer to tow him about a bit and that may help releave the CRT chasing.

I am with others on here though that think on the surface I think CRT have been reasonable to allow the overstay to go on this long and Kris88 you now need to come up with a plan to move on and/or fix the boat soonest.

Edited by churchward

A generous offer MJG nice of you to propose a practical solution.

An alternative possibility may be for a few local CWF members to offer to tow him about a bit and that may help releave the CRT chasing.

I am with others on here though that think on the surface I think CRT have been reasonable to allow the overstay to go on this long and you now need to come up with a plan to move on and/or fix the boat soonest.

I'm just assuming given the boat type (Leeds Liverpool short boat) he wouldn't be that far away. Of course he could actually be on a broad canal somewhere miles away in which case it's probably a non starter.

I'm just assuming given the boat type (Leeds Liverpool short boat) he wouldn't be that far away. Of course he could actually be on a broad canal somewhere miles away in which case it's probably a non starter.

Skipton area, I believe. A bit of a trek under tow, but not utterly impossible.

In my yoof, we bowhauled our Short Boat from Sale to Tarleton for a new engine. We were young and mob handed, though.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Kriss,

Well done Martin Virtual greenie for you

Peter

Skipton area, I believe. A bit of a trek under tow, but not utterly impossible.

In my yoof, we bowhauled our Short Boat from Sale to Tarleton for a new engine. We were young and mob handed, though.

Tim

Perhaps some local folk could relay the boat a few miles each.

Thanks for the offers of movement, but when the bearings are done, I'm waiting To go into a dry dock that is 30mins bow hauling and polling away. I didn't anticipate it being a whole stern gear replacement job.when I broke down here, but on inspection( the old prop is brazed onto the old prop shaft) it turned into a big job.

Regards kris

I'm going to look at this from another angle.

1. Kris rescues a boat which is bound for scrap.

2. He can't take it to a marina, because most don't allow you to work on your boat (cranes, noise etc) in the marina contract.

3. He finds a piece of unused towpath, miles from anywhere.

4. It's not possible to tow the boat around, as the L&L has no water, nor do any other CRT canals in the area I don't think.

5. The only difference between someone who buys a winter mooring, and someone who doesn't, is nothing , ziltch, to anyone looking from the outside. It's purely paperwork..and cash moving from one bank account to another...in real life, it is identical.

6. At the end of Kris project, CRT will have a new boat licence income...payable every month for the entire length of the boats life.

The way I see it, Kris has actually helped CRT make money for years into the future....they could give him a little slack I'd think.

It would be very different if he was moored in a hotspot, or on a VM, and in the way of other boaters...but he's not....and I'd imagine no canal user has complained about him....

Yes, it's easy to say..."the rules are...".....but where did common sense go to?

Edited by DeanS

I'd just like to clarify I have a valid liscence and the boat has been liscenced all the time I've owned it.

Regards kris

So if it moved from A to B, it would be using the same amount of water as it is now.........but just be on another piece of towpath somewhere else.

frusty.gif

So if it moved from A to B, it would be using the same amount of water as it is now.........but just be on another piece of towpath somewhere else.

frusty.gif

Which is what people are required to do Dean, which you well know.

Thank you for your kind offer Martin it is appreciated

Regards kris

For all the people who have mentioned long term moorings. This stretch of canal has lost about 12 online moorings in the last 2 years. My boat is 14" wide none of the CRT moorings offered locally are that wide.

Regards kris